From a Nuclear Engineering BS, will I be able to do MS & PhD in Physics?

zeesanist
Yes,, I know, it may not be the most obvious route but I had already submitted the subject preference list to the university and there is no way to change it. (Therefore, I beg you to not make me regret my choice, since, there is just no way to revert it) .

The math I am going to learn from the program syllabus comprises : vector calculus. linear algebra, ODE, PDE, Applied math for engineering physics. And the physics I am going to learn , as a part of the course are, Physics 101, Electricity and magnetism, Neutronics, Plasma Physics, Accelerator physics , reactor physics, Health physics, Engineering Thermodynamics, Heat transfer, and Little bit of Quantum mechanics.

I have attached the BSc syllabus of my university, I will be grateful if someone evaluate the syllabus for me. Now , I want to do MSc abroad ( I'm from Bangladesh). But I am not sure if I am going to fulfill admission criteria with an NE degree. However, MSc physics programs of Bangladesh do accept NE majors ( as Engineers are considered a superior breed of people here, you know, developing nation 😐).

So is it a good Idea to do masters at my own country first and then Apply for abroad for 2nd masters and PhD? And what additional topics of math and physics should I learn as an NE major for successful transition to physics?

Attachments

• 1702884135OnlineVersionB.Sc.SyllabusofNuclearEngineering(version2).pdf
    783.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To answer your specific question, you should look at the specific admissions requirements for the universities you are interested in for graduate work.

However, you are also facing a bigger problem. Grad school admissions is competitive. Meeting the minimum requirements is no guarantee of being admitted and even less of a guarantee that someone else will pay your way. The best universities in Bangladesh are, frankly, not very good by Western standards. So you are looking to gain admission from a not-very-good starting place without a physics degree. This will be tough.

Likes zeesanist
so , even an additional MS in physics will not be of much help? and what about related branch like nuclear physics and plasma physics?Do they accept NE majors? ( And it is true that most of the people even from physics department go abroad for material science related work)

What do you want me to say?

Anything is possible, but your lack of preparation will hurt you, the quality of your undergraduate education will hurt you, and if you need someone else to pay your way, that will hurt you.

Likes zeesanist
Vanadium 50 said:
What do you want me to say?

Anything is possible, but your lack of preparation will hurt you, the quality of your undergraduate education will hurt you, and if you need someone else to pay your way, that will hurt you.
I know the education quality here is pretty low. But, that's the most my country has to offer. I had to compete with about a hundred thousand students against 2000 seats just to get admitted into that low ranked University( Dhaka University) . And as you may expect, an under-developed nation has little to no focus at pure academic subjects like Physics. Knowing this, what do you advise me ?

Again, what do you want me to say?

Is it the responsibility of the West to educate the entire population of the world? If not, what exactly is its responsibility? How does this compare to its capacity?

Vanadium 50 said:
Again, what do you want me to say?

Is it the responsibility of the West to educate the entire population of the world? If not, what exactly is its responsibility? How does this compare to its capacity?
I understand, thanks for your time and kind support.

Likes berkeman