Is one semester of quantum physics enough for a math major?

In summary, I am a mathematics major, but I'm taking extra physics and engineering courses. I'm interested in mathematical physics work in the future. I am taking the first of two semesters of quantum physics offered by my school right now, and I was planning to take the next course in the spring 2016 semester, but in my hurry to finally graduate, I am debating on whether or not to skip that one and take my last math courses in the spring instead of finishing in the fall 2016 semester. Would I be missing out on too much if I decided to skip that course? Or should I go ahead and finish up undergrad and move onto my master's degree (applied math)? BTW, the course I'm taking now covers
jaskamiin
As the title says, I am a mathematics major, but I'm taking extra physics and engineering courses. I'm interested in mathematical physics work in the future.

I'm taking the first of two semesters of quantum physics offered by my school right now. I was planning to take the next course in the spring 2016 semester, but in my hurry to finally graduate, I am debating on whether or not to skip that one and take my last math courses in the spring instead of finishing in the fall 2016 semester (quantum is only offered spring).

Would I be missing out on too much if I decided to skip that course? Or should I go ahead and finish up undergrad and move onto my master's degree (applied math).

BTW, the course I'm taking now covers the following: Planck theory of radiation, photoelectric effect and comptons equation, particle/wave duality, the hydrogen atom, Schroedinger equation (we spend the most time on this), and statistical physics.

The next course gives a "systematic development of quantum mechanical laws, emphasizing solutions to the Schroedinger equation". (Basically a more in-depth look at the equation, I assume).

If it helps, I've taken a full course in PDEs, as well...

Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't seem to be proper "quantum mechanics". A proper course in quantum mechanics should show how all the things you mentioned fit in the framework of the following postulates.

http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/ph229/notes/chap2.pdf Postulates 1 - 4 in section 2.1

http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.6815 Postulates II.1 - II.5 in section 3.1

Well, for a math major, the second part of the course would be most interesting to you.

Whether it is a good idea to delay your graduation date depends on whether you'll need QM later. So that depends on what you'll be doing.

atyy said:
That doesn't seem to be proper "quantum mechanics". A proper course in quantum mechanics should show how all the things you mentioned fit in the framework of the following postulates.

http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/ph229/notes/chap2.pdf Postulates 1 - 4 in section 2.1

http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.6815 Postulates II.1 - II.5 in section 3.1

The master's program I have been looking at allows taking a course like this as an elective:

"Students acquire a more deeper knowledge on the nature and the power of quantum mechanics. In particular they know how to apply perturbation theory, to employ scattering theory and to apply symmetry arguments. Students also get in touch with more modern aspects of quantum mechanics like in questions about entanglement, non-localities and the measurement problem."

As well as a mathematical physics course, statistical mechanics, and a course in groups in symmetries.

Basically I'm wondering if the one course I'm taking now would be enough to serve as a base for one/any of these, or if it's necessary to take the second.

micromass said:
Well, for a math major, the second part of the course would be most interesting to you.

Whether it is a good idea to delay your graduation date depends on whether you'll need QM later. So that depends on what you'll be doing.

I guess the problem is that it's hard to know whether or not I will be needing QM at this point... I figured it's a big part of modern mathematical physics, though

You might see if the grad programs in applied math you are considering requires two semesters of QM as preparation, or if the admissions prefers two semesters, if you can get this information.

If/When you see QM at the graduate level, my best guess is that the second semester would be good preparation. However, I do not think you should delay graduation in Math for a semester while you take the one course, when you have the opportunity to take QM in grad school. I defintiely think your PDE course will help you when you need to see the Schrodinger's equation in the QM in a future course.

Related to Is one semester of quantum physics enough for a math major?

1. Can a math major understand quantum physics in just one semester?

It is possible for a math major to understand the fundamentals of quantum physics in one semester, but a deep understanding of the subject may require more time and study.

2. Is one semester of quantum physics enough to prepare for advanced math courses?

One semester of quantum physics may provide a good foundation for advanced math courses, but it may also be beneficial to take additional courses in quantum mechanics or other related subjects.

3. Do I need a strong background in physics to excel in quantum physics as a math major?

Having a strong foundation in physics can be helpful, but as a math major, you may have a natural aptitude for understanding the mathematical concepts in quantum physics.

4. How much time should I dedicate to studying quantum physics as a math major?

This will depend on the individual's learning style and understanding of the subject. It is important to dedicate enough time to fully grasp the concepts and practice problem-solving.

5. Can I use my knowledge of quantum physics in other fields as a math major?

Yes, quantum physics has many applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, and cryptography. As a math major, you may have a unique perspective on these applications.