Your thoughts on this article about psychology.

In summary, the author seems to be a biased thinker with no understanding of the research that psychologists actually do.
Physics news on Phys.org
Right off the bat, I found the author to be a sketchy thinker:

In order to consider whether psychology is a science, we must first define our terms. It is not overarching to say that science is what separates human beings from animals, and, as time goes by and we learn more about our animal neighbors here on Earth, it becomes increasingly clear that science is all that separates humans from animals. We are learning that animals have feelings, passions, and certain rights. What animals do not have is the ability to reason, to rise above feeling.

Defining science as 'what separates humans from animals' is a very odd, and unrigorous way to define it. Even if it's true, it is at best an observation about humans vs animals, not a definition of science.

The whole that follows suffers from being an editorial rather than an essay.

The author doesn't seem to have anything more than a vague familiarity with the kind of research psychologists actually do; if anything, I'd say that the full extent of his familiarity amounts to pop-psychology. The author, along with several of the links at the end of the article, seem to treat "psychology" as being synonymous with "psychiatry" and "psychoanalysis", which is bizarre. He seems to have penned an entire series of articles in which he dismisses all of psychology and psychiatry as pseudoscience, and denies the existence of mental illness altogether (he actually goes on to dismiss all of psychology, sociology, economics, and anthropology).

For reasons summarized elsewhere in this article, psychology isn't guided by a coherent, falsifiable system of theories

This is strange to me. I'm a part of a lab that is conducting research on reinforcement learning, and the direction of all of our work is guided by the mechanism by which said learning is implemented by the brain, which is extremely well understood. In what way does generating extremely precise predictions based on models describing the underlying physical phenomenon not qualify as "coherent and falsifiable"?

Does research honor the null hypothesis?..

The author here devotes an entire paragraph to elevating an extremely controversial statistical practice to philosophical significance. Even if null-hypothesis testing were some sort of benchmark for scientific practice (I'm a fan of model comparison myself; to hell with the null hypothesis), the overwhelming majority of psychological research takes a null-hypothesis approach anyway, so...

Does research have the potential to change how the field is practiced?

Another few paragraphs in which the author treats "psychology" as synonymous with "clinical psychology" and "psychoanalysis". I would offer as a counter-example to the author's thesis the discovery that dopaminergic neurons in the midbrain behave like the error term in the temporal difference learning algorithm, which completely revolutionized the study of reinforcement learning in psychology, and led to the falsification of a number of extremely (at the time) popular theories of said learning.

Let's compare the foregoing to physics, a field that perfectly exemplifies the interplay of scientific research and practice. When I use a GPS receiver to find my way across the landscape, every aspect of the experience is governed by rigorously tested physical theory. The semiconductor technology responsible for the receiver's integrated circuits obeys quantum theory and materials science. The mathematics used to reduce satellite radio signals to a terrestrial position honors Einstein's relativity theories...

Good for physics. I can build you a mathematical model of decision making and reinforcement learning in the basal ganglia and frontal cortex that will accurately predict the deficits resulting from orbito-frontal injury. Is psychology a science yet?

Last edited:
This link is not to a credible peer-reviewed source. This site doesn't exist as a platform to respond to anyone's personal musings, it is for the teaching of peer-reviewed science.

I have a great interest in psychology and the study of human behavior. After reading this article, I found it to be a thought-provoking and informative piece on the history and current state of psychology.

I appreciate the author's emphasis on the importance of scientific research and evidence-based practices in psychology. The field has come a long way since its early days of speculation and subjective theories. The integration of neuroscience and technology has greatly advanced our understanding of the brain and behavior.

I also agree with the author's criticism of the misuse of psychological research in the media and popular culture. It is crucial for the public to have a better understanding of the limitations and complexities of psychological studies.

Overall, this article serves as a reminder of the continuous development and evolution of psychology as a scientific discipline. It highlights the importance of staying current with research and acknowledging the complexities of human behavior. I believe this is an important message for both scientists and the general public.

Related to Your thoughts on this article about psychology.

1. What is your overall opinion of the article?

I found the article to be well-written and informative. It presented a balanced view of psychology and its various theories and applications.

2. Did the article accurately represent the field of psychology?

Yes, I believe the article provided a comprehensive overview of psychology and its various perspectives. It touched upon important topics such as behaviorism, cognitive psychology, and psychoanalysis.

3. Were there any key points or ideas that you found particularly interesting?

I found the discussion on the nature vs. nurture debate to be particularly intriguing. The article highlighted the importance of both biological and environmental factors in shaping human behavior.

4. Did you have any disagreements with the article's content?

While I generally agreed with the content of the article, I do believe that it could have delved deeper into some of the theories and concepts of psychology. It may have also benefited from including more real-life examples to make the information more relatable.

5. Do you think this article would be helpful for someone who is new to the field of psychology?

Absolutely. This article provides a broad overview of psychology and its key principles, making it a great starting point for anyone interested in learning more about the field.