Yogurt Tablets: Making Fresh Yogurt from Milk with Seed Yogurt and Baker's Yeast

• Medical
  • Thread starter Frenemy90210
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of making yogurt from milk and the possibility of using tablet starters or baker's yeast as a seed. It is mentioned that using probiotics or yogurt bacteria can also result in a non-dairy yogurt. However, without Lactobacillus acidophilus, the flavor and consistency may not be ideal. Kefir is also brought up as a possible alternative, but it requires bacteria to properly culture the milk.
Frenemy90210
For the purpose of making a yogurt from milk, one needs a seed yogurt, which is nothing but just a spoonful of yogurt. Is it possible to make tablets of these yogurt bacteria (Acidophyllus ?) so that these tablets can be simply dropped in the milk to make fresh yogurt ?

Has anyone tried making a yogurt using baker's yeast as a seed ? if yes, how does it taste ?

Biology news on Phys.org
Tablet starters almost certainly, because you can buy a dry powder comprising milk powder + starter culture and sugar, and you just need to add water and keep it warm. I understand you can use the powder contents of suitable probiotic capsules as an alternative starter.

Some cake recipes call for a cup of warm milk with yeast activated and foaming in it. I think you'll find it tastes just very yeasty, though I haven't let it continue for hours. Yogurt culturing uses various bacteria; I can't say I've heard of using yeasts, though maybe somewhere there's a cultured milk beverage based on yeasts.

If you are seeking variety, it is possible to make a non-dairy yogurt by adding probiotics or yogurt bacteria to coconut cream, for example. I think there's a trick to having it successfully set, but which I can't offhand recall.

Isn't this what kefir is?

Ygggdrasil said:
Isn't this what kefir is?
Not without bacteria, as far as I know.

I think with just baker's yeast and milk all you'll have is a good start for a loaf of artisan bread.

Without Lactobacillus acidophilus the flavor may be too sour, too bitter, or not consistent enough (not dense enough to have the "yoghurty" texture). I make my own yoghurt and L.acidophilus works best.

1. What are yogurt tablets?

Yogurt tablets are small, compressed disks made from a mixture of milk, seed yogurt, and baker's yeast. They are used to make fresh yogurt from scratch without the need for a yogurt maker or special equipment.

2. How do you make yogurt tablets?

To make yogurt tablets, you will need to mix together equal parts of milk and seed yogurt. Then, add in a small amount of baker's yeast and mix until well combined. Pour the mixture into a lined baking dish and let it sit at room temperature for 24 hours. Once set, cut the mixture into small tablets and allow them to dry completely before storing in an airtight container.

3. What is the purpose of baker's yeast in yogurt tablets?

Baker's yeast is used in yogurt tablets to help the mixture ferment and turn into yogurt. The yeast consumes the lactose in the milk and produces lactic acid, which is what gives yogurt its tangy flavor and thick texture.

4. How do you use yogurt tablets to make fresh yogurt?

To make fresh yogurt with yogurt tablets, simply mix one tablet with one cup of milk in a clean jar or container. Cover the jar with a lid or towel and let it sit at room temperature for 12-24 hours. The longer it sits, the tangier and thicker the yogurt will be. Once it reaches your desired taste and consistency, store it in the fridge for later use.

5. Can you use any type of milk to make yogurt tablets?

Yes, you can use any type of milk to make yogurt tablets, including cow's milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc. Just keep in mind that the type of milk you use will affect the taste and texture of the final product. For example, using plant-based milk may result in a thinner and less tangy yogurt compared to using cow's milk.