Yes, you are correct for both parts (A) and (B)!

In summary, the conversation discusses the height of a ball thrown straight upward at a given time, with an equation of h = -16t^2 + 96t. In part (A), the question is how long it takes for the ball to drop, which can be solved by setting h = 0. In part (B), the question is at what time the height is 80 feet, which has two possible answers since there are two values of t that satisfy the equation h = 80.
mathdad
A ball is thrown straight upward. Suppose that the height of the ball at time t is h = -16t^2 + 96t, where h is in feet and t is in seconds, with t = 0 corresponding to the instant that the ball is first tossed.

(A) How long does it take for the ball to drop?

(B) At what time is the height 80 feet? Question (B) has two answers. Why?

To answer part (A), do I set h = 0 and solve for t?

To answer part (B), do I set h = 80 and solve for t?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
To answer part (A), do I set h = 0 and solve for t?

Yes.

RTCNTC said:
To answer part (B), do I set h = 80 and solve for t?

Yes.

Good to know that I am right.

Related to Yes, you are correct for both parts (A) and (B)!

1. What is a "Ball Application"?

A "Ball Application" is a type of software or program that is designed to simulate the behavior and physics of a ball. It can be used for various purposes such as sports training, game development, or scientific research.

2. How does a "Ball Application" work?

A "Ball Application" uses mathematical equations and algorithms to calculate the movement, velocity, and other physical properties of a ball. These calculations are based on the laws of physics and can be adjusted to simulate different scenarios.

3. What are the advantages of using a "Ball Application"?

Using a "Ball Application" allows for accurate and realistic simulations of ball movement, which can be beneficial for sports training or game development. It also allows for experimentation with different variables and scenarios, which can aid in scientific research.

4. Can a "Ball Application" be used for different types of balls?

Yes, a "Ball Application" can be used to simulate the behavior of various types of balls, such as basketballs, soccer balls, or even bouncy balls. The equations and algorithms used can be adjusted to fit the specific properties of each type of ball.

5. Are there any limitations to using a "Ball Application"?

While "Ball Applications" can provide accurate simulations, they are still limited by the accuracy of the mathematical equations and algorithms used. Factors such as air resistance and surface friction may also affect the accuracy of the simulations.