Non-linear function with two unknown constants and one variable

In summary, the problem involves a ball being thrown upward and its height being given by the function h(t) = c -(d-4t)^2, where c and d are positive constants. The ball reaches its maximum height of 106 feet at time t = 2.5 and starts from an initial height of 6 feet. To find the height of the ball at time t = 1, we need to solve for the constants c and d. This can be done by setting up two equations, h(0) = 6 and h'(t=2.5) = 0, and solving for c and d. Once we have the values for c and d, we can plug them into the function h
ETBunce
Am am presented with the problem:

\(\displaystyle
h(t) = c - (d - 4t)^2
\)
At time t = 0, a ball was thrown upward from an initial height of 6 feet. Until the ball hit the ground, its height, in feet, after \(\displaystyle t\) seconds was given by the function \(\displaystyle h\) above, in which \(\displaystyle c\) and \(\displaystyle d\) are positive constants. If the ball reached its maximum height of 106 feet at time \(\displaystyle t = 2.5\), what was the height, in feet, of the ball at time \(\displaystyle t = 1\)?

The answer I am given is 70, but I don't know how to reach that answer. I've tried to solve for the constants but I keep hitting dead ends. I wish I could give more information other than the graph below but that's all I have. Help would be much appreciated, thanks.

I imagine the function if graphed would look something like this:

View attachment 2398

Attachments

• Ball Throw Function.png
    Ball Throw Function.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 64
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi, there

Thankyou for sharing your problem with us at the MHB.

$h(t) = c -(d-4t)^2$

Try to write down $h(0)$: You know from the initial condition, that $h(0) = 6$ (feet)
Then you should consider mathematically the expression at time $t = 2,5$ where the ball reaches its maximum height (i.e. find the derivative of $h(t)$)

Last edited:
Actually, the problem is designed to simplify into solving a system of 2 linear equations in 2 unknowns.

lfdahl said:
$h(t) = c -(d-4t)^2$

Try to write down $h(0)$: You know from the initial condition, that $h(0) = 6$ (feet)
Then you should consider mathematically the expression at time $t = 2,5$ where the ball reaches its maximum height (i.e. find the derivative of $h(t)$)

Looks like the ball's height increases by 100 feet over the course of 2.5 seconds. Where do I go from there?

ETBunce said:
Looks like the ball's height increases by 100 feet over the course of 2.5 seconds. Where do I go from there?

You still need to find $c$ and $d$, the constants in the expression for $h(t)$.

Therefore, I have asked you to write down the two equations: $h(0) = ...$ and $h'(t=2.5) = 0$

Please give it a try (Wink)

lfdahl said:
You still need to find $c$ and $d$, the constants in the expression for $h(t)$.

Therefore, I have asked you to write down the two equations: $h(0) = ...$ and $h'(t=2.5) = 0$

Please give it a try (Wink)

Sorry, I'm confused. Derivatives are used in calculus, right? The problem I am presented with is from a SAT practice test. According to my understanding, I shouldn't need to use calculus tools to solve any of the problems in the SAT.
Should I go learn more about derivatives before trying to solve this problem?
I also have tried working out the equations, and I can't figure out how to solve for $c$ and $d$.

ETBunce said:
Sorry, I'm confused. Derivatives are used in calculus, right? The problem I am presented with is from a SAT practice test. According to my understanding, I shouldn't need to use calculus tools to solve any of the problems in the SAT.
Should I go learn more about derivatives before trying to solve this problem?
I also have tried working out the equations, and I can't figure out how to solve for $c$ and $d$.
I´m sorry, I am not familiar with the SAT practice test, but as far as I can see, you do need some knowledge on derivatives of a one-variable function. Anyway, what I was asking you about is the following:

(1). $h(0) = c -(d-4\cdot0)^2 = c-d^2 = 6$

(2). $h'(t) = (-4)\cdot2(d-4t)$ and use $h'(2.5) = 0$ so $d -4\cdot2.5 = 0$

From (2) you can determine $d$. Then you can insert the value for $d$ in (1) and find $c$.

Once you know $c$ and $d$, you can calculate $h(1) = ...$

If we write the height function in vertex form:

\(\displaystyle h(t)=-16\left(t-\frac{d}{4}\right)^2+c\)

and observe that we are given the vertex $(2.5,106)$

We then immediately have:

\(\displaystyle h(t)=-16\left(t-2.5\right)^2+106\)

And so what is $h(1)$?

Related to Non-linear function with two unknown constants and one variable

1. What is a non-linear function with two unknown constants and one variable?

A non-linear function with two unknown constants and one variable is an equation where the dependent variable is not proportional to the independent variable. This means that the graph of the function will not be a straight line. The two unknown constants act as coefficients that affect the shape and position of the graph.

2. How do you solve a non-linear function with two unknown constants and one variable?

To solve a non-linear function with two unknown constants and one variable, you need to have two equations with two variables. You can then substitute one equation into the other to eliminate one of the variables. This will leave you with one equation with one variable, which you can solve using algebraic methods or by using a graphing calculator.

3. What is the purpose of using two unknown constants in a non-linear function?

The two unknown constants in a non-linear function allow for more flexibility in the shape and position of the graph. They act as coefficients that can change the slope, curvature, and position of the graph. This allows for a more accurate representation of real-world phenomena that may not follow a linear relationship.

4. Can a non-linear function with two unknown constants and one variable have multiple solutions?

Yes, a non-linear function with two unknown constants and one variable can have multiple solutions. This is because there are infinite combinations of values for the two unknown constants that can satisfy the equation. Each set of values will result in a different graph, but all of them will satisfy the original equation.

5. How can non-linear functions with two unknown constants and one variable be applied in real life?

Non-linear functions with two unknown constants and one variable can be applied in many real-life situations, such as predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, and analyzing financial data. They can also be used in engineering to design structures or systems that have non-linear relationships, such as springs or electrical circuits.