8.01 MIT OCW PS1.4: Throw and Catch (Kinematics)

giodude
Homework Statement
A ball is thrown over the head of a person who is standing a horizontal distance d from the point where the ball was thrown. The initial ball's velocity is at an angle theta with respect to the groun and has a magnitude v0. As soon as the ball is thrown, the person runs with a time-varying acceleration whose component along the x-axis is given by Bt, where B is a positive constant. The person catches the ball at exactly the same height it was thrown from. Assume that the air resistance is negligible and that the gravitational acceleration is directed downward and has magnitude g. Find the constant B.
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the given variables. Use theta, g, d, and v0 as needed.
Relevant Equations
xp0 = d, vp0 = 0, ap0 = 0
xp(t) = d + (1/6)*B*(t^3)
vp(t) = B*(t^2)/2
ap(t) = B*t

xb0 = 0, vb0 = v0, ab0 = 0
xb(t) = v0*cos(theta)*t
vb(t) = v0*cos(theta)
ab(t) = 0
1) Using "The person catches the ball at exactly the same height it was thrown from.", we can isolate t by solving yb(t) = v0*sin(theta)*t - (1/2)*g*(t^2) = 0:
yb(t) = v0*sin(theta)*t - (1/2)*g*(t^2) = 0
v0*sin(theta)*t = (1/2)*g*(t^2)
2*v0*sin(theta) = g*t
t = 2*v0*sin(theta) / g

2) At the time of the catch, the person and the ball have the same x coordinate so we can set xp(t) = xb(t) and plug in t
d + (1/6)*B*(t^3) = v0*cos(theta)*t
B*(t^3) = 6*v0*cos(theta)*t - 6*d
B = (6*v0*cos(theta)*t - 6*d) / (t^3)
B = (6*v0*cos(theta)*t - 6*d) / (2*v0*sin(theta) / g)^3

I believe this is the correct answer. My purpose for posting this here is two fold; to see if I've done it correctly and to try and understand how to physically interpret this outcome so that it intuitively makes sense as well. One way I was thinking about physically interpreting it was through dimensional analysis and checking that there are no lingering dimensions. However, am curious about other modes of approach.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-15 at 9.59.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-15 at 9.59.20 PM.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 49
Physics news on Phys.org
If you wish somebody to take the time to check your work you need to use LaTex for the equations. Yes there is a learning curve. See "LaTeX Guide below

Likes giodude
Will do.

giodude said:
B = (6*v0*cos(theta)*t - 6*d) / (2*v0*sin(theta) / g)^3

I believe this is the correct answer.
It is not, quite, an answer to the question posed because you still have a t in there.
Did you check the dimensions? Looks ok to me.
Often, a useful sanity check is a special case for which the answer is obvious, but I don't see such an option here. One special case would be d=0, but the answer is still not obvious for that. ##d=v_0\cos(\theta)t## works, but is too trivial.

Likes giodude
haruspex said:
It is not, quite, an answer to the question posed because you still have a t in there.
Did you check the dimensions? Looks ok to me.
Often, a useful sanity check is a special case for which the answer is obvious, but I don't see such an option here. One special case would be d=0, but the answer is still not obvious for that. ##d=v_0\cos(\theta)t## works, but is too trivial.
Oh, yes! It looks like I forgot to convert that value.

Dimensions seem to properly cancel out. Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of the 8.01 MIT OCW PS1.4: Throw and Catch (Kinematics) lesson?

The purpose of this lesson is to introduce students to the concepts of kinematics, specifically the motion of objects in free fall, through the context of throwing and catching a ball.

2. What topics are covered in this lesson?

This lesson covers topics such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and free fall motion. It also introduces the concept of projectile motion and how it relates to throwing and catching a ball.

3. What are some key equations that are used in this lesson?

Some key equations used in this lesson include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in one-dimensional motion. These are also known as the kinematic equations and are often written as:
- Displacement: Δx = xf - xi
- Velocity: v = Δx/Δt
- Acceleration: a = Δv/Δt = (vf - vi)/Δt

4. How does this lesson relate to real-world applications?

This lesson has real-world applications in sports, such as baseball and football, where understanding projectile motion is important for players to accurately throw and catch a ball. It also has applications in physics and engineering, where the principles of kinematics are used to analyze and design various systems and machines.

5. What are some potential challenges students may face in this lesson?

Some potential challenges students may face in this lesson include understanding the relationship between displacement, velocity, and acceleration, as well as applying the kinematic equations to solve problems. It may also be challenging to visualize and understand the concept of projectile motion and how it relates to throwing and catching a ball.