Year 11: Centripetal Acceleration/Force "Challenging" questi

In summary, a year 11 student is struggling with a challenging physics question about a motorcyclist leaning his bike at a 55 degree angle while going 100 km/h. They are using the equations for centripetal force and acceleration to find the smallest radius of curvature for the corner. However, their answer is different from the textbook's. After realizing their mistake in interpreting the free-body diagram, the student has solved the problem. They are determined to do well in physics this term.
jstretto

Homework Statement

Hey there :), I am in year 11 and my teacher has assigned me with this "challenging question".

12. A motorcyclist leans his machine over so that it makes an angle of 55 degrees with the surface of the track as he negotiates a corner.
a.) If (due to the treat on his tyres and track conditions) he is able to safely do this up to a maximum speed of 100 km h^-1, what is the smallest radius of curvature that the corner can have?

Homework Equations

Centripetal Force and acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged tan(theta)= v^2/gr
to make r the subject.

But the answer is completely different to what the textbook says is the answer.
Answer: 112m

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really want to do well in physics this term!

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved. I interpreted the free-force diagram I drew wrong, placing the opp/adj in the wrong place, lool.

Related to Year 11: Centripetal Acceleration/Force "Challenging" questi

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object moving in a curved path.

2. How do you calculate centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated by using the formula a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration in the direction of the tangent to the circle. Centripetal acceleration is responsible for changing the direction of motion, while tangential acceleration is responsible for changing the speed of motion.

4. What is centripetal force and how does it relate to centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal force is the force that is required to keep an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is equal in magnitude to the centripetal acceleration multiplied by the mass of the object. In other words, the centripetal force is what causes the centripetal acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration and force?

Some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration and force include the motion of planets around the sun, the spinning of a merry-go-round, and the swinging of a pendulum. In all of these cases, there is a centripetal force acting on the objects to keep them moving in a circular path.