Centripetal Acceleration Question

In summary: AZING!In summary, the skateboarder must have a minimum velocity to not fall off the vertical loop of a roller coaster track, with a radius of 6.53m. This can be found by setting the centripetal acceleration equal to 9.8, as the normal force must tend to zero at the top for the boy to finish the loop. The centripetal force acts in the same direction as gravity in this case, and the net force allows the boy to continue on the loop rather than just fall off. Time also plays a crucial role, as the skateboarder's speed must be enough to follow the curved rail at the top, but not enough to allow gravity to pull him down.
Alameen Damer

Homework Statement

A skateboarder has to do a loop the vertical loop of a roller coaster track. The radius of the loop is 6.53 m, what is the minimum velocity the skateboarder must have to not fall off when he is at the top of the loop.

Homework Equations

Equation for centripetal acceleration.

Ac=v^2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to get the answer, basically rearranging for v, and setting Ac to 9.8 to counteract the gravity pulling the rider down. However, I need help understanding the concept. Why does setting the centripetal acceleration as 9.8 give you the right answer? In this case that the skateboarder is at the top of the loop, the gravity is pulling down in the same direction as the centripetal force. I'm pretty sure I am misunderstanding the direction of the centripetal force. Basically my question is: Does the centripetal force act in the same direction as gravity in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alameen Damer said:
Basically my question is: Does the centripetal force act in the same direction as gravity in this case?
Yes , it does .
Alameen Damer said:
Why does setting the centripetal acceleration as 9.8 give you the right answer?
The normal force at the top must just tend to zero , for the boy to finish circular motion . Why ?
Hint : Because if the velocity would be zero , the force of gravity would do what ?

The gravity would simply pull down the boy, and he won't finish his loop

What I am confused on is if there is the force of gravity, in this case the centripetal force pulling down on the boy, what is the force that is counteracting it?

Alameen Damer said:
What I am confused on is if there is the force of gravity, in this case the centripetal force pulling down on the boy, what is the force that is counteracting it?
Gravity actually does pull the body during circular motion too , but only in the case of circular motion , it falls sideways .

I hope you can understand this .

What do you mean by it falls sideways? Do you mean that the net force cause the boy to continue on the loop rather than just fall off? If not, what is it that prevents the boy from just falling off at the top?

Alameen Damer said:
What do you mean by it falls sideways? Do you mean that the net force cause the boy to continue on the loop rather than just fall off?
Yes , this is it .

Ok thanks alot!

Alameen Damer said:
Ok thanks alot!
Have you tried drawing a free body diagram? What are the forces acting on the boy? What is the force balance equation?

Alameen Damer said:
What do you mean by it falls sideways? Do you mean that the net force cause the boy to continue on the loop rather than just fall off? If not, what is it that prevents the boy from just falling off at the top?
Time. If the skateboarder's speed is just enough to do the loop, he is not at the top long enough for gravity to pull him down. Gravity has just enough time to deflect him from a straight line path so that he follows the curved rail at the top, but it does not have enough time to move him farther i.e to pull him away from the rail.

AM

Likes Qwertywerty

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it is moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is a real acceleration that is responsible for keeping an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force, on the other hand, is a fictitious force that appears to act outward on an object in circular motion. It is actually just the inertia of the object trying to keep it moving in a straight line.

4. How does centripetal acceleration relate to gravity?

Centripetal acceleration is closely related to gravity as it is the force of gravity that is responsible for keeping objects in orbit around a larger body. In this case, the centripetal acceleration is equal to the gravitational force divided by the mass of the orbiting object.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some common examples of centripetal acceleration include the motion of planets around the sun, the circular motion of a car around a curve, and the motion of a rollercoaster around a loop. Any object moving in a circular path is experiencing centripetal acceleration.