Centripetal Force and velocity

In summary, a box is in a circular track and needs to exit at point B. If it has a centripetal force of W sin(theta) then it will stay on the track.
terryds

Homework Statement

http://www.sumoware.com/images/temp/xzfrbardcbliotkt.png
[/B]
A box travels in a circular track like the picture above.
How much velocity it must have in point A to get out of the track when reaching point B ?

Homework Equations

Fcentripetal = m V^2/R
E = E'

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I draw the free body diagram of the forces in point B
http://www.sumoware.com/images/temp/xzstkkpbgobpmjmi.png

Actually, I want to draw the normal force, but I don't know where the normal force direction is.
I know that the centripetal force is the force that's accelerating to the center.
So, I think that Wb sin Θ is the same as the centripetal force.
I use
Wb sin Θ= F centripetal
mg sin Θ= m v^2/r
g sin Θ= v^2/r
v = √(g r sin Θ)

Then, I use the mechanical energy conservation formula. (I assume that the point A is zero in y axis)
E = E'
1/2 mva^2 = mgh + 1/2 m vb^2
1/2 va^2 = gh + 1/2 vb^2
va^2 = 2gh + vb^2
va^2 = 2g(R+R sin Θ) + vb^2
va^2 = 2g(R+R sin Θ) + (√(g r sin Θ))^2
va^2 = 2g(R+R sin Θ) + g r sin Θ
va^2 = 2gR+2gRsinΘ+gr sin Θ
va^2 = 2gR+3gRsinΘ
va^2 = gR (2+3sinΘ)
va = √(gR (2+3sinΘ))

But, I'm not sure my answer is right.
What I doubt is when I think the W sinΘ equals centripetal force and when I don't know where the normal force direction is pointing. Actually, I want to use ∑F = ma , but I just know the weight force to draw.
Please help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:
Actually, I want to draw the normal force, but I don't know where the normal force direction is.
At the point where the box is just falling out of the track, what do you think the magnitude of the normal force will be?

haruspex said:
At the point where the box is just falling out of the track, what do you think the magnitude of the normal force will be?
Hmm... I think it is the same as W but with opposite direction ? Or maybe W sin theta ?

terryds said:
Hmm... I think it is the same as W but with opposite direction ? Or maybe W sin theta ?
If there's still all that force exerted between the box and the track, why is it about to fall of the track?

haruspex said:
If there's still all that force exerted between the box and the track, why is it about to fall of the track?
Maybe because the weight is bigger than the normal force, or there is no normal force..
But, i don't know how to determine the normal force in this problem

terryds said:
Maybe because the weight is bigger than the normal force
Those forces both act sort-of downwards, so that isn't going to explain it.
terryds said:
or there is no normal force
Exactly. You lose contact with a surface when there's no force holding you to it, and so no normal force reacting.
Hence the direction of the normal force does not matter for this question, but, for future reference, if either body has a tangent plane at the point of contact then the normal force is normal to that plane. Note that if they both have tangent planes they will necessarily be the same. If neither has a tangent plane it becomes impossible to say.

haruspex said:
Those forces both act sort-of downwards, so that isn't going to explain it.

Exactly. You lose contact with a surface when there's no force holding you to it, and so no normal force reacting.
Hence the direction of the normal force does not matter for this question, but, for future reference, if either body has a tangent plane at the point of contact then the normal force is normal to that plane. Note that if they both have tangent planes they will necessarily be the same. If neither has a tangent plane it becomes impossible to say.

Thanks for your explanation.
But, what about its centripetal force ? Does it equal W sin theta ?
And, is my answer to the problem correct ?

terryds said:
Thanks for your explanation.
But, what about its centripetal force ? Does it equal W sin theta ?
And, is my answer to the problem correct ?
Yes. To keep on the track, the acceleration must be v2/r, no more, no less. The net force in the radial direction will never be less than mv2/r because the normal force will increase as necessary to prevent the block breaking into the track. But if the net force exceeds the centripetal force, even when the normal force has fallen to zero, then it will accelerate faster than v2/r radially and leave the track. The only source of such a force is g, and its radial component will be W sin(theta).

Likes terryds

Related to Centripetal Force and velocity

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's velocity and prevent it from flying off in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force related to velocity?

The magnitude of centripetal force is directly proportional to the velocity of the object moving in a circular path. This means that as the velocity increases, the centripetal force must also increase in order to keep the object in its circular path.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for centripetal force is F = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

4. What happens to centripetal force if the velocity or radius changes?

If the velocity increases, the centripetal force must also increase in order to keep the object in its circular path. If the radius increases, the centripetal force decreases as there is less force required to keep the object in a larger circular path.

5. Can centripetal force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, centripetal force can be greater than the weight of an object. In fact, in order for an object to move in a circular path, the centripetal force must be greater than the weight of the object in order to counteract the natural tendency for the object to move in a straight line.