Xkcd's take on representing money.

• Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary, the conversation discusses an interesting chart from xkcd comparing the costs of various world events and purchases. The chart is very detailed and can be enlarged for easier reading. Some notable comparisons include the value of the derivatives market compared to the cost of the Iraq War and J.K. Rowling's salary as a rapper. Overall, the conversation highlights the shocking amounts of money involved in these events and purchases.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'd put this in the thread but it would stretch it from here to Mars;

http://xkcd.com/980/

Well worth a look for some interesting comparisons.

Physics news on Phys.org
I couldn't zoom it enough to read it. http://www.explainxkcd.com/2011/11/21/money-chart/" "embiggens" enough to read all of the detail. A very interesting poster!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can click on the xkcd one to enlarge it. Very interesting indeed, I particularly had (somewhat depressing) fun totalling up the cost of things like the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and looking up what I could buy with it.

Wow. There is a lot of info there.

I didn't find the punch line yet, unless it was to the gut.

S_Happens said:
I didn't find the punch line yet, unless it was to the gut.

Really? I found a lot! How about the fact that the derivatives market holds five times more value than the entire world's combined liquid assets. And that, when compared to the same derivatives market value, the entire Iraq War works out to a rounding error.

FlexGunship said:
Really? I found a lot! How about the fact that the derivatives market holds five times more value than the entire world's combined liquid assets. And that, when compared to the same derivatives market value, the entire Iraq War works out to a rounding error.

Dang. I thought for sure it was J.K. Rowling's salary as a rapper.

Related to Xkcd's take on representing money.

1. What is "Xkcd's take on representing money"?

"Xkcd's take on representing money" refers to a comic strip titled "Money" by Randall Munroe, the creator of the webcomic xkcd. In the comic, Munroe presents different creative ways of visualizing large sums of money, questioning the effectiveness and accuracy of traditional representations of money.

2. Why did "Xkcd's take on representing money" gain attention?

The comic gained attention due to its humorous and thought-provoking approach to a topic that is often considered mundane. It also sparked discussions about the complexities and limitations of representing large numbers and the value of money.

3. How does "Xkcd's take on representing money" challenge traditional representations of money?

The comic challenges traditional representations of money by pointing out their shortcomings, such as the use of small and vague symbols to represent large sums of money, which can lead to a lack of understanding and perspective on the true value of money.

4. Is "Xkcd's take on representing money" meant to be taken seriously?

While the comic does raise valid points about the representation of money, it is primarily meant to be humorous and satirical. Munroe often uses his comics to make light of complex topics and spark conversations.

5. What is the main message behind "Xkcd's take on representing money"?

The main message behind the comic is to question the ways in which we represent and perceive money, and to encourage critical thinking and discussion about the value and meaning of money in our society.