Explore XKCD: Math & Science Humor & What If?

In summary, XKCD is a humorous website with comics geared towards math and science enthusiasts. The TED talk given by the comic writer is interesting, but the real highlight is getting to know the man behind the comics. Additionally, the writer's blog "what if?" offers creative and thought-provoking answers to difficult questions posed by readers, such as his recent take on relative motion.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
XKCD is a really funny site with comics intended for math and science people. Some of them are mildly humorous and others are spit-my-drink-onto-my-keyboard hilarious (for me). Below is a recent TED talk that the comic writer gave. It is an ok talk in my opinion - it's more interesting just to see the man behind the mask I think. Anyway, here it is for you to check out if interested.

[youtube]I64CQp6z0Pk[/youtube]

Also check out his blog "what if?". Here he explores really difficult questions posed by readers and gives really creative answers that might be close to correct.

Physics news on Phys.org

Attachments

• train.png
    train.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 85

1. What is "Explore XKCD: Math & Science Humor & What If?"

"Explore XKCD: Math & Science Humor & What If?" is a website that features comics and articles created by Randall Munroe, a former NASA scientist. The content is focused on math, science, and technology, and often includes humorous and thought-provoking scenarios.

2. Is the content on "Explore XKCD" accurate?

While the content is often based on real science and technology, it should not be taken as completely accurate. The website is meant to entertain and spark curiosity, rather than be a source of factual information. However, Munroe does extensive research and consults with experts when creating his content.

3. Can I use the comics and articles on "Explore XKCD" for educational purposes?

Yes, Munroe encourages the use of his content for educational purposes as long as it is non-commercial and properly credited. However, it is always a good idea to fact-check the information before using it in a classroom setting.

4. How often is new content added to "Explore XKCD"?

New comics are typically added three times a week, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Occasionally, Munroe will also post articles on his "What If?" section, where he answers absurd hypothetical questions with real scientific principles.

5. Can I submit my own ideas for comics or "What If?" questions to "Explore XKCD"?

Yes, there is a dedicated section on the website where users can submit their own ideas. Munroe reviews these submissions and may use them for future content. However, due to the high volume of submissions, it is not guaranteed that your idea will be used.