Writing a Novel....Have a quandry/qustion

• Thread starter Jeffdawgfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, Jeff, you can choose either option. If you want your ship to have mass, then it will have inertia. If you want it to be massless, then the ship and its crew will have no inertia. It all depends on your story.
Jeffdawgfan
I am a science fiction author working on my fifth book. I have a question regarding mass and inertia that I thought maybe I could get some input/insight here.

And this is for science fiction...

If there existed the mechanism to make a small spaceship massless by the means of a supposed mass cancellation field, would the ship, its crew, and objects contained within still have inertia. In the book I am writing a discovery is made where such a device is discovered. If this was possible, even a small propulsion device could easily accelerate the ship with no mass to speeds nearing that of light very easily and needing very little power. What would happen if the direction of that ship was suddenly changed...ie..the direction of the force of thrust was changed. Would the ship instantly change direction or would the ship/crew/cargo still have inertia even though while in the mass cancellation field they effectively had no mass. Or...would the ship still have inertia/Delta V that would have to be erased to change direction. Also if the ship could be accelerated very quickly because it had not mass would it tear the ship apart due to inertia stresses or would there be no inertia.

The reason for question is I am trying how to make it feasible for small spaceships to fight in space. They could not provide enough thrust or carry enough fuel to change Delta V to even make it possible...if they had mass that is. If mass was "canceled" would the pilot be unable to survive the G forces due to the massless ship maneuvering so quickly. Trying to work this out so I can incorporate this into the novel. Any input would be appreciated...and remember..the book is FICTION :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeffdawgfan said:
If there existed the mechanism to make a small spaceship massless by the means of a supposed mass cancellation field, would the ship, its crew, and objects contained within still have inertia.
Hi Jeff:

It seems to me you can choose either option. It's your story, and your choice about the fictional way you want the mass cancellation field to work. I see no plausible fictional reason why your ship cannot have a space inside that nullifies the
mass cancellation field.

Regards,
Buzz

Jeff, hi, I think it depends which version of the mass cancellation field generator you're thinking about. Obviously not the Mk I as that had a nasty tendency to generate negative inertia fields and promptly self annihilate, so it never got into production beyond the prototype stage. I think the Mk II produced a field that canceled the inertia of everything within, so the crew of a small spaceship would be carried along on the same trajectory as the ship in that case, until they left the mass cancellation region of course, then the g forces would kick in again for ship and crew alike :smile:

Jeffdawgfan said:
If there existed the mechanism to make a small spaceship massless by the means of a supposed mass cancellation field, would the ship, its crew, and objects contained within still have inertia.

Do you want them to? If so, then yes!

The issue is that there is no such thing as a mass cancellation field, so we can't make accurate predictions about what would happen if one existed.

Jeffdawgfan said:
In the book I am writing a discovery is made where such a device is discovered. If this was possible, even a small propulsion device could easily accelerate the ship with no mass to speeds nearing that of light very easily and needing very little power. What would happen if the direction of that ship was suddenly changed...ie..the direction of the force of thrust was changed. Would the ship instantly change direction or would the ship/crew/cargo still have inertia even though while in the mass cancellation field they effectively had no mass. Or...would the ship still have inertia/Delta V that would have to be erased to change direction. Also if the ship could be accelerated very quickly because it had not mass would it tear the ship apart due to inertia stresses or would there be no inertia.

Again, it operates however you want it to operate. Self consistency is the most important aspect of developing fictional technology. Whatever you decide, you have to stick to your decision.

Jeffdawgfan said:
The reason for question is I am trying how to make it feasible for small spaceships to fight in space. They could not provide enough thrust or carry enough fuel to change Delta V to even make it possible...if they had mass that is. If mass was "canceled" would the pilot be unable to survive the G forces due to the massless ship maneuvering so quickly. Trying to work this out so I can incorporate this into the novel. Any input would be appreciated...and remember..the book is FICTION :)

So you want fighters in your story, eh? Nothing wrong with that. I'd say do whatever you need to do to make the idea of fighters plausible (or even necessary) in your story. You're already inventing fictional technology and physics, do what you want with them to make a good story.

As others have noted, there's nothing in physics to let you do what you want to do, so just write down some rules and try to apply them consistently.

One point to note - you can always consider yourself to be at rest (only instantaneously if you're accelerating, but at any instant you choose). So if you can survive the initial acceleration you can survive any other acceleration you might make, unless you're planning on ignoring the principle of relativity and having some kind of absolute rest frame.

Also - inertialess fields were used by everything from one-man armed scouts to planets in E.E. "Doc" Smith's Galactic Patrol/Lensman novels, for much the reasons you cite. You may wish to have a quick look.

Related to Writing a Novel....Have a quandry/qustion

1. How do I start writing a novel?

The best way to start writing a novel is to brainstorm ideas and create an outline. This will help you organize your thoughts and plot, and give you a clear direction to follow as you write.

2. How long should a novel be?

The length of a novel can vary depending on the genre and target audience. Generally, a novel is considered to be at least 50,000 words, but it can range from 80,000-100,000 words for most genres.

3. How do I develop my characters?

To develop your characters, it's important to give them depth and complexity. You can do this by creating backstories, identifying their motivations and desires, and giving them flaws and strengths that make them relatable and interesting.

4. How do I stay motivated while writing a novel?

Staying motivated while writing a novel can be challenging, but setting a writing schedule and sticking to it can help. Also, reminding yourself of why you started writing the novel and taking breaks when needed can also help keep you motivated.

5. Should I edit as I write or wait until the end?

This is a personal preference, but many writers find it helpful to wait until the end to edit their novel. This allows for a more cohesive and consistent story. However, if you find that editing as you write helps you stay focused, then go ahead and do what works best for you.