Would this class be useful for an EE? Advanced Engineering Calc.

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Advanced Engineering Calculus, which covers various advanced mathematical concepts such as non-dimensionalization, perturbation theory, and special functions. It is typically taken by Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering students, but the speaker, an Electrical Engineering student, finds it interesting and useful for various fields such as fluid mechanics and quantum mechanics. They encourage others to take the class as well.
DrummingAtom
I've been told that usually Mech Eng's or Aerospace Eng's take this class, haven't heard much for EE's but it definitely sounds interesting.

Advanced Engineering Calculus - Extends the treatment of engineering mathematics beyond the topics covered in Calculus 3 and differential equations. Topics include non-dimensionalization, elementary asymptotics and perturbation theory, Reynold's transport theorem and extensions of Leibnitz's rule, as applied to continuum conservation equations, Hamiltonian formulations, Legendre and Laplace transforms, special functions and their orthogonality properties.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I can't find any old class pages or books that use/will be using. From some searches I've found that it seems like a fluid mechanics class, which I have no experience with. Most of the math though looks similar to E&M math, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

Seems useful to me. It'd be hard to have enough applied maths courses. Pertubation theory appears in many areas, if you get into the quantum side things it would be quite useful there. Hamiltonian stuff is useful for quantum too, and Laplace, special functions and Sturm-Liouville theory is always good. Go for it I say.

Related to Would this class be useful for an EE? Advanced Engineering Calc.

1. Would taking this class help me understand advanced engineering concepts better?

Yes, this class would cover advanced topics in calculus that are essential for understanding and solving complex engineering problems. It will provide a strong foundation for further studies in engineering.

2. Is this class relevant for electrical engineering students?

Yes, this class is specifically designed for students in the field of electrical engineering. It will cover topics such as differential equations, Fourier series, and Laplace transforms, which are crucial for electrical engineering.

3. Will this class be beneficial for my career in electrical engineering?

Absolutely, this class will equip you with the necessary mathematical skills and knowledge to excel in your career as an electrical engineer. It will also make you more competitive in the job market.

4. What are some practical applications of advanced engineering calculus?

Advanced engineering calculus is used in a wide range of applications, such as designing and analyzing electronic circuits, developing control systems for machines, and solving complex problems in electromagnetics and signal processing.

5. Is this class difficult for students with no prior calculus experience?

This class is designed for students who have already taken introductory calculus courses. It may be challenging for students with no prior experience, but with dedication and hard work, they can still succeed and benefit from the class.