Is this smart or overkill? Deciding classes for next semester.

In summary, this course is designed to acquaint the student with the basic mathematical tools used in electrical and computer engineering. The concepts covered in this course will be used in higher level courses and, more importantly, throughout your career as an engineer. The math classes offered by your department are broader and more theoretical and do not always transfer perfectly to your field without some work.
USN2ENG
Hi all,
I am an EE major and planning on transferring to a different school next year and noticed that instead of stand alone Linear and Diff Eq classes they have an amalgamated EE math class that teaches you all the math fundamental to EE. I was reading the reviews of this course and everyone seems to think it is really fast paced and leaves out some certain things. Here is the Course description:

This course is designed to acquaint the student with the basic mathematical tools used in electrical and computer engineering. The concepts covered in this course will be used in higher level courses and, more importantly, throughout you career as an engineer. Major topics of the course include complex numbers, real and complex functions, signal representation, elementary matrix algebra, solutions to linear systems of equations, functional approximation by curve fitting, linear differential equations, Laplace transforms used for solving linear differential equations, Fourier Transforms and their uses in solving electrical engineering problems.

I am decent at math (currently have an A in Calc 2) but I am not completely secure in my abilities as I feel some of my base knowledge is a little shaky. I just have a strong work ethic. Next semester I have the opportunity to take Linear and Diff Eq (both intro) stand alone classes. I was wondering if this would be a good Idea as prep for this course or am I more than likely over thinking this? If I did want to prep for this course what other way would you suggest? Any good books or websites that you know of?

Thanks for any suggestions or insight!

Physics news on Phys.org
The only concern I would have is that math classes offered by your department tend to focus on specific applications to your subject. Classes from the math department are broader and more theoretical and do not always transfer perfectly to your field without some work. I took the complex variables course offered by my physics department before I ever took complex analysis and to be honest, it served me better. I got the concepts faster, less thinking "Oh, but how does this apply to X?", and earlier on in my education which meant I could see them before I needed them in a physics class. Either option might be good for you, but I wouldn't look down on a class in engineering simply because it's offered by engineers instead of mathematicians.

I definitely see your point about the applications. I think I was just over thinking the situation. Thanks for the insight. It's good to hear from someone that has experienced a pretty similar situation.

On the other hand, that engineering math class will teach you the stuff that actually relevant to you. The math classes will deal with a lot of theoretical stuff meaning you won't actually have a use for a lot of stuff. Proving some of the stuff may help you to understand the concepts better. For example, I learned laplace transforms in both my ODE class and circuit analysis class. My ODE class taught me about a lot of the properties and how/why they work while the circuits class gave me a lot of practice in actually finding the transforms. On the other hand I never learned Fourier Series/transforms in a math environment and have no idea how they work but can solve problems using them perfectly fine.

Another example is my linear algebra class. Almost everything in linear algebra that's actually used was taught or picked up in my engineering classes before I even took LA and gave me a better treatment in their use.

If you have time, money, and enjoy math (like me) then I'd take the standalone classes otherwise every topic you listed are the ones that are important and will be used alot. I'd prefer the math classes, their applications will become evident as you use them in your engineering classes.

I cannot make a judgment on whether this decision is smart or overkill without more information about your specific situation and academic goals. However, I can provide some general insights and suggestions.

It's important to carefully consider the course description and reviews before making a decision. It seems like this amalgamated EE math class covers a wide range of topics that are essential for an EE major, but the fast pace and potential omission of certain topics may make it challenging for some students. If you feel confident in your math skills and have a strong work ethic, then this course may be a good option for you. However, if you have concerns about your base knowledge and want to ensure a solid foundation for future courses, taking the standalone Linear and Diff Eq classes may be a good choice.

In terms of preparation, you could review and practice the topics covered in the amalgamated course on your own before taking it. This could include using online resources, textbooks, or even reaching out to the instructor for a syllabus or recommended materials. You could also consider talking to current or past students who have taken the course to get a better understanding of the workload and difficulty level.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your individual strengths, weaknesses, and academic goals. It's important to carefully consider all factors and make a decision that will set you up for success in your future academic and career pursuits.

Related to Is this smart or overkill? Deciding classes for next semester.

1. Is it necessary to take all advanced classes for next semester?

This ultimately depends on your academic goals and interests. Taking advanced classes can challenge and benefit you, but it is important to also consider your workload and other commitments. It is important to find a balance between challenging yourself and not overwhelming yourself.

2. Will taking extra classes help me get into a better college?

Taking extra classes can demonstrate a strong academic drive and work ethic, which can be beneficial for college admissions. However, it is important to also focus on your grades and extracurricular activities, as those are also important factors in college admissions. Taking too many classes and sacrificing your overall academic performance may not be beneficial in the long run.

3. Should I take classes outside of my major to broaden my knowledge?

Taking classes outside of your major can provide a well-rounded education and can also help you discover new interests. However, it is important to also prioritize classes that are required for your major and that will help you achieve your academic and career goals. Taking too many unrelated classes may not be the most efficient use of your time and resources.

4. How many classes should I take to be considered a full-time student?

This can vary depending on your school's policies and your individual schedule. Typically, a full-time student takes 12-15 credits per semester. However, it is important to also consider your personal abilities and workload to ensure you can handle the course load effectively. It is also important to consult with your academic advisor for their recommendations.

5. Are there any classes that are recommended for all students to take?

While it is ultimately up to the individual's interests and academic goals, there are some classes that are commonly recommended for all students. These include writing and communication courses, as these skills are important in any field. Additionally, courses in critical thinking, problem-solving, and time management can benefit students in any major. It is important to also check with your school's general education requirements for any recommended courses.