World Cup - "soccer is boring and stupid" thread

In summary: I don't think many people on this thread grasp the concept of a joke...When I say "football" here in Oklahoma, no one thinks of this game. We have to specify that we are taking about "soccer". How is that term useless when it is the only unambiguous name for the sport in some places?I don't think many people on this thread grasp the concept of a joke...I got your post. I don't think calling it "useless terminology, period" was a joke, though.But, that seems to have been edited out of the post in question.
Pending my own moderation: picture will be back soon :smile:

Here we be:
aNw5kkT.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
And then I'm not even talking about this: (map of countries using metric system)

Oh my! I would have never noticed the connection without your help. The people who wear shorts and call the game football are from the same places as the sissies who can't calculate without using their fingers and powers of 10!

RL&D!

Disclaimer: The comments above do not reflect the views of PF, their pets, or any fictional characters - living or otherwise. All comments are intended purely for entertainment purposes and to potentially inspire further exchange of humor and wit.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the obvious reason why the USA doesn't "get" soccer. Play doesn't stop every few seconds for the next TV advertising break.

Well our games aren't structured such like soccer where you play for 45 minutes straight. In baseball, every inning is the perfect opportunity for advertising.

Micromass...

you can add New Zealand and Australia to the list that term it soccer

I have grown up in those 2 countries that is it was said "I'm going to the footy tonight " Soccer is definitely not on the mind :smile:

Its Rugby Union, Rugby League, or Aussie Rules
Aussie Rules footy is "out there", fast moving, high scoring and rough play
None of the 3 games have players all trussed up in "body armour" as with American Football

But ohhhh well ... 1/2 the can't even find either of those 2 countries on a world map...
They have enough trouble locating their own country :wink:cheers
Dave

I think as long as the US is winning more games than you, it's soccer.

1MileCrash said:
I think as long as the US is winning more games than you, it's soccer.

Except that we just beat the US last game.

AlephZero said:
Nobody seems to have mentioned the obvious reason why the USA doesn't "get" soccer. Play doesn't stop every few seconds for the next TV advertising break.

That may be a big reason that it hasn't caught on here. I do think Americans have a point about the flopping being out of control though. It's now a huge issue in the NBA too, but it's ten times worse in soccer. Oh, and the racist guy that repeatedly goes around biting people...that too (although Zidane's headbutt years ago was fantastic; now that's a manly way to shut up a loudmouth). And the fact that soccer is more about nationalism and long-standing grudges than people kicking a ball around. Maybe if there was a USA v. Taliban match Americans would care more. Losing a soccer match to Columbia or whatever doesn't really hurt our national pride.

Tobias Funke said:
Maybe if there was a USA v. Taliban match Americans would care more.

I would watch this, and I might even take it seriously.

Tobias Funke said:
That may be a big reason that it hasn't caught on here. I do think Americans have a point about the flopping being out of control though.

The few times I've watched soccer before falling asleep the flopping was the best part of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-KPVorsM8g

Tobias Funke said:
Maybe if there was a USA v. Taliban match Americans would care more.

Hm... Afghanistan seems to prefer cricket to soccer. They qualified for the 2012 World Twenty20 competition, and have qualified for the 2015 Cricket World Cup. No chance of the USA ever beating them at that. :devil:

micromass said:
Except that we just beat the US last game.

oh you remember that? :-p

I wouldn't be surprised if more people played soccer in Belgium than the USA

Tobias Funke said:
Losing a soccer match to Columbia or whatever doesn't really hurt our national pride.

It's hard to have national pride for a sport that the country absolutely sucks at.

I'm sure many more Americans would watch if Kate Upton was one of the members playing in the US's team. I know I would.

Tobias Funke said:
Losing a soccer match to Columbia or whatever doesn't really hurt our national pride.

Or to Colombia, the country. I remember a campaign by Colombians to "disambiguate" the two: Columbia the university or city(es) in the U.S, vs. Colombia the country.

WannabeNewton said:
It's hard to have national pride for a sport that the country absolutely sucks at.

I'm sure many more Americans would watch if Kate Upton was one of the members playing in the US's team. I know I would.

We don't really suck. We made it a lot further than most other countries. I think our team is quite good considering how little appreciated the sport is here.

There is also too much competition for the people's attention with hockey, basketball, baseball, football , etc. Maybe this is countered by having a larger potential audience given a population of around 320 million.

Maylis said:
We don't really suck.

Looks like you had a typo there. There's a "don't" that doesn't belong.

WannabeNewton said:
Looks like you had a typo there. There's a "don't" that doesn't belong.

hahaha that's a bit mean WBN

maybe the word "bit" could be removed as well :wink:

Dave

WWGD said:
Or to Colombia, the country. I remember a campaign by Colombians to "disambiguate" the two: Columbia the university or city(es) in the U.S, vs. Colombia the country.

A small typo, just like when I mistyped "football/fútbol/¿fóüdbáílle" as "soccer" and "French fries" as "freedom fries."

WannabeNewton said:
... I'm sure many more Americans would watch if Kate Upton was one of the members playing in the US's team. I know I would.

You would obediently sit down and watch a day-long debate on the obscurest field of philosophy if Kate Upton were the moderator :smile:

Fun fact: I was trying to find a specific, obscure field of philosophy, but gave up. In the process, I found a wikipedia page blasphemously refer to Liebniz as a "philosopher," and nothing more. That's akin to psychologists trying to appellate Pavlov as nothing more than a psychologist.

D H said:
This could make for an interesting thread, much more interesting than whether soccer is boring and stupid.

American football,
Kidnapping an adult,
Multi-valued function,
Dirac delta function,
Metric tensor (in general relativity),
Cartesian tensor,
Dwarf planet,

and

Red herring.

And that's what this latest sidetrack of this thread is, a red herring.

"American football" is like "soccer", ie. "soccer" is the more technically correct and less ambiguous term, but everyone knows what football is. So if we accept futbol as correct, metric tensor is also correct. Actually, what is the alternative - "metric tensor field"?

atyy said:
"American football" is like "soccer", ie. "soccer" is the more technically correct and less ambiguous term, but everyone knows what football is. So if we accept futbol as correct, metric tensor is also correct. Actually, what is the alternative - "metric tensor field"?

Pseudometric tensor

Wow, that is so proper!

Tensor (soccer):
If one player in a team gets a red card, there will be ten sore players in that team left on the field.

davenn said:
you can add New Zealand and Australia to the list that term it soccer

perhaps there are more brits living around the parts of auckland I live in, people here look at you funny when you even say the word soccer.

wukunlin said:
perhaps there are more brits living around the parts of auckland I live in, people here look at you funny when you even say the word soccer.

Wouldn't surprise me - those Brits really get around :-p!

micromass said:
The name football is not ambiguous for about 7 billion people. It only is for americans.

Blame the English... :devil:
1889, socca, later socker (1891), soccer (1895), originally university slang (with jocular formation -er (3)), from a shortened form of Assoc., abbreviation of association in Football Association (as opposed to Rugby football); compare rugger. An unusual method of formation, but those who did it perhaps shied away from making a name out of the first three letters of Assoc.

It's not exactly new, but I have always enjoyed this picture.

handegg.0_standard_709.0.jpg

It's called football (the Handegg one) because the ball is about a foot long.

Fredrik said:
It's not exactly new, but I have always enjoyed this picture.
:biggrin:

Tobias Funke said:
A small typo, just like when I mistyped "football/fútbol/¿fóüdbáílle" as "soccer" and "French fries" as "freedom fries."

Sorry I over did it; I was trying to impress a hot Colombian lady , so I went along with her campaign and I started doing it without thinking about it.

AlephZero said:
Could be that we don't like sports where the players cry every game rolling on the ground when they get a little scratch.

Maylis said:
Could be that we don't like sports where the players cry every game rolling on the ground when they get a little scratch.

Could be you daren't play contact sports if you can't wear body armor.

AlephZero said:
Could be you daren't play contact sports if you can't wear body armor.

this thread is awesome :biggrin: