Working out the current though bulbs in a circuit by applying Kirchoff's laws

In summary, the brightness of the lettered bulbs (D and C) is dependent on the current, which is determined by the voltage and resistance of the circuit. By applying Kirchoff's laws, it can be determined that bulbs D and C have the same brightness as the original bulb in the first circuit. However, in the third circuit, bulb D will be off while bulb C will still have the same brightness.
Rct33

Homework Statement

I am trying to determine the birghtness of the lettered bulbs relative to the brightness of the bulb in the first and simplest circuit by giving a mathematical explanation using Kirchoff's laws. All cells and bulbs are identical.
8nsGQT.jpg

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's current and voltage laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I define that the bulb in the first circuit will have power P=I^2*R and because each bulb is identical, the resistance of all the bulbs in every circuit will be the same. Therefore the brightness of the bulb only depends on the current so if I work out the current for the lettered bulbs and compare that to the bulb in the first circuit with current (I=V/R) then I can say if the lettered bulbs are brighter or dimmer then the original bulb.

For the circuit with bulbs lettered d and c I get stuck after splitting the circuit vertically into two closed circuits:
qLTPeN.png

Applying Kirchoff's voltage law I get:
V - (R*I1)) - R*(I1 - I2) = 0
and
V - R*(I2 - I1) - (R*I2)

I need to find I1 and I2 in terms of I but I am unsure where to go from this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rct33 said:
Applying Kirchoff's voltage law I get:
V - (R*I1)) - R*(I1 - I2) = 0
and
V - R*(I2 - I1) - (R*I2)

I need to find I1 and I2 in terms of I but I am unsure where to go from this.
There's an obvious way to simplify that equation. Then divide through by R so that you get I in there. And you have another equation for the second circuit.

Multiply both equations out. Then multiply one of them by 2 and add the equations together. Don't be afraid to try things out - you just may find that you can solve them!

Okay I will try

Rct33 said:
Okay I will try

V - (R*I1) - R*(I1 - I2) = 0
and
V - R*(I2 - I1) - (R*I2) = 0

Therefore

I - 2*I1 + I2 = 0

I - 2*I2 + I1 = 0

I solved these to get
I1 = I

therefore I2 = I

[STRIKE]Therefore D and C have the same brightness as the original bulb. Will now try for the third circuit.[/STRIKE]

EDIT: Actually noticed that I1 and I2 have the same magnitude but opposite direction so the total current through bulb D is 0 so it is off. Bulb C still has the same brightness though.

Last edited:

Related to Working out the current though bulbs in a circuit by applying Kirchoff's laws

1. How do I apply Kirchoff's laws to calculate current in a circuit?

To apply Kirchoff's laws to calculate current in a circuit, you will first need to determine the direction of current flow in the circuit. Next, use Kirchoff's junction rule, which states that the sum of currents entering a junction must equal the sum of currents exiting the junction. Then, use Kirchoff's loop rule, which states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage sources in that loop.

2. What is the difference between Kirchoff's junction rule and loop rule?

Kirchoff's junction rule deals with the conservation of charge at a junction in a circuit, while Kirchoff's loop rule deals with the conservation of energy in a closed loop within a circuit.

3. How do I determine the direction of current flow in a circuit?

The direction of current flow in a circuit can be determined by using the concept of electric potential. Current always flows from a higher potential to a lower potential. Therefore, if you know the direction of the voltage drop across a resistor, you can determine the direction of current flow through that resistor.

4. Can Kirchoff's laws be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's laws can be applied to any type of circuit, whether it is a series circuit, parallel circuit, or a combination of both. These laws are based on fundamental principles of conservation of charge and energy, which apply to all types of circuits.

5. How accurate are the calculations made using Kirchoff's laws?

The calculations made using Kirchoff's laws are very accurate as long as the circuit is not too complex and the values of the components are known with precision. However, in real-world circuits, there may be some discrepancies due to factors such as resistance in wires and non-ideal components. Overall, Kirchoff's laws provide a reliable method for analyzing and predicting current flow in a circuit.