Understanding PhET simulation (Faraday's law)

In summary, the simulation shows that the brightness of a light bulb in a transformer circuit depends on the power, which is the product of current and voltage. Increasing the number of loops in either the electromagnet or the circuit can make the light bulb shine brighter. However, this relationship may not hold true for direct current circuits due to the magnetic field being dependent on turns/length. The simulation also demonstrates that a transformer with two coils and an iron core can increase the magnetic field and hence, the induced voltage, resulting in a brighter light bulb.
sohjau

Homework Statement

I am supposed to make a project based on this simulation, I am trying to see what is happening:

https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/faraday

If I go to the "Transformer" tab, I have an electromagnet and a circuit consisting of a loop of wire and a light bulb. I can change the current source to alternating current to induce current in the circuit and make the light bulb shine. If I increase either the number of loops in the electromagnet or the circuit, the light bulb shines brighter. According to my understanding, the brightness of a light bulb depends on the power which is the product of the current and the voltage. However, a transformer only changes voltage and current proportionally to each other so that power remains constant.

Homework Equations

V2 / V1 = N2 / N1 = I1 / I2;
P = IV;
B = unI;
n = N/l;

The Attempt at a Solution

If I use a field meter and a direct current source, I can see that the magnetic field is proportional to the number of loops for the electromagnet. The number of loops shouldn't matter due to the formula of magnetic field using "loop density" instead. Is this simulation incorrect, or is my understanding of this topic really off?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sohjau said:

Homework Statement

I am supposed to make a project based on this simulation, I am trying to see what is happening:

https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/faraday

If I go to the "Transformer" tab, I have an electromagnet and a circuit consisting of a loop of wire and a light bulb. I can change the current source to alternating current to induce current in the circuit and make the light bulb shine. If I increase either the number of loops in the electromagnet or the circuit, the light bulb shines brighter. According to my understanding, the brightness of a light bulb depends on the power which is the product of the current and the voltage. However, a transformer only changes voltage and current proportionally to each other so that power remains constant.

Homework Equations

V2 / V1 = N2 / N1 = I1 / I2;
P = IV;
B = unI;
n = N/l;

The Attempt at a Solution

If I use a field meter and a direct current source, I can see that the magnetic field is proportional to the number of loops for the electromagnet. The number of loops shouldn't matter due to the formula of magnetic field using "loop density" instead. Is this simulation incorrect, or is my understanding of this topic really off?
Can you show the exact circuit your're working on? Where is the current source placed?

How exactly do I run the simulation. It just downloads a file. I clicked on the Software Required... all I need is Java, which I have.

scottdave said:
How exactly do I run the simulation. It just downloads a file. I clicked on the Software Required... all I need is Java, which I have.
I needed to open the file with an application called "Java Web Start".

cnh1995 said:
Can you show the exact circuit your're working on? Where is the current source placed?
Here is an example of what I mean about the light bulb shining brighter:
one.png
three.png

Here is an example of the magnetic field increasing linearly with the number of loops in the electromagnet:
original.png
new.png

Attachments

• one.png
    one.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 560
  • three.png
    three.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 621
  • new.png
    new.png
    13 KB · Views: 583
  • original.png
    original.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 650
The increased number of turns makes it easier for the magnetic flux to transfer.

scottdave said:
The increased number of turns makes it easier for the magnetic flux to transfer.
So, let's say this simulation used a typical transformer with two coils and an iron core. If the number of turns were increased, the magnetic field that the primary current produces wouldn't increase because there is already an iron core that helps the magnetic field propagate through, right?

sohjau said:
Here is an example of the magnetic field increasing linearly with the number of loops in the electromagnet:
Well, in case of your dc circuits (last two images), I believe the axial magnetic field 'B' shouldn't increase since it depends on turns/length (or turn-density as you said) and not on number of turns alone.

But in the first two circuits with alternating voltage, the increased number of turns of the bulb-coil in the second picture induces more voltage in it and hence the bulb glows brighter. Flux linkage of the secondary is given by NsΦp, where Φp is the part of primary flux that gets coupled with the secondary. As you can see, the flux-linkage of the secondary is proportional to the number of turns of the secondary and hence, the bulb glows brighter.

Likes scottdave

Related to Understanding PhET simulation (Faraday's law)

1. What is Faraday's law and why is it important in physics?

Faraday's law, also known as electromagnetic induction, states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. This law is important in physics because it explains the relationship between electricity and magnetism, and is the basis for many modern technologies such as generators, transformers, and motors.

2. How does the PhET simulation help in understanding Faraday's law?

The PhET simulation allows users to manipulate variables such as magnetic field strength and conductor velocity, and observe the resulting changes in induced current. This helps in understanding the cause and effect relationship between these variables and how they relate to Faraday's law.

3. Can the PhET simulation be used to demonstrate real-life applications of Faraday's law?

Yes, the PhET simulation includes scenarios that mimic real-life applications such as generators and transformers. Users can see how changes in magnetic field strength and conductor movement affect the amount of current produced, which is crucial in understanding the functioning of these devices.

4. Are there any limitations to the PhET simulation for understanding Faraday's law?

While the PhET simulation is a useful tool for understanding the basic concepts of Faraday's law, it is limited in its ability to accurately simulate complex real-life scenarios. Additionally, the simulation may not take into account all possible factors that may affect the outcomes, so it should be used as a supplement to hands-on experiments and theoretical understanding.

5. How can the PhET simulation be used in conjunction with other learning methods to enhance understanding of Faraday's law?

The PhET simulation can be used as a visual aid to supplement lectures and readings on Faraday's law. It can also be used as a hands-on activity in which students can manipulate variables and observe the resulting changes, providing a more interactive learning experience. Additionally, the simulation can be used to design and conduct virtual experiments, allowing for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of Faraday's law.