Work integration application problem, answer check

In summary: You need to replace the x in the integrand with the force (y-axis) on x-axis. That will give you the work done as a function of x. Then you can integrate it to get the total work.In summary, the bucket is lifted from the ground to a height of 30ft at a constant speed with a rope that weighs .5lb/ft. Initially, the bucket contains 60lbs of water, but the water leaks out at a constant rate and finishes draining just as the bucket reaches the 30ft level. The total work done lifting the bucket is 13950 ft-lbs.
8point1

Homework Statement

A leaky 6lb bucket is lifted from the ground to a height of 30ft at a constant speed with a rope that weighs .5lb/ft. Initially, the bucket contains 60lbs of water, but the water leaks out at a constant rate and finishes draining just as the bucket reaches the 30ft level. How much total work is done lifting the bucket?

Homework Equations

Function I found for the weight of the rope: (15-.5x)

Function I found for the weight of the bucket: (60-2x)

so adding all together I got = 6 + (15-.5x) + (60-2x) (Δx) (x)

then simplified to get the work function = 81x-2.5x2dx

The Attempt at a Solution

integrated work function 81x-2.5x2 over 0 to 30 and got 13950 ft/lbs total work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Always look at your answer to see if it is realistic to you. Suppose the bucket were not leaking and the rope was coiled up inside the bucket. Total weight of rope laden bucket is 60+6+15 = 81 lbm. To raise 81 pounds to a height of 30 feet is only 2430 ft-lbm. How can your answer be a larger number?

Another hint when you are deriving equations. Make sure the units you end up with jive with what you seek.

Thanks for your help. Obviously my answer is way high. I will keep working at it.

Concerning the units, what does lbm stand for?

Same as lbf in this case. I use them interchangeably when I'm on earth. : )

You are going about it in the correct manner. You just have a slight mistake. How is work defined?

Got to hurry on this. My happy hour begins at 4 PM EDT.

W=force x distance

I'm not getting 81 pounds as 2430 ft/lbs

(81 pounds)(distance) = W
81x=W

so integrate 81x over 0 to 30, and I'm getting 36450... what the heck.

ok, 81 x 30 = 2430, but shouldn't I be integrating the work function to get the total work (area)?

The work function is force times distance. The force is 81 pounds. The distance is dx. remember, your answer must have the units of ft-lbs. The integrand must have the units of ft-lbs. You are putting an additionl space dimension in it.

W = integral (F * dx) from 0 to 30. Integral of F * dx is F*X evaluated from 0 to 30. Answer is 81 * 30 = 2430.

Do you see where you have gone awry?

Last edited:
I guess I'm not understanding how distance is Δx. I thought that was the width of the "slice" of work done at xi.

dx is the width of the slice. Integration is simply a method that 'adds' up all the little slices letting the function take on its different values as the summing progresses over the limits of integration. Delta x in calculus terminology (when it approaches 0 in the limit) becomes dx.

Work is the area under the force-distance curve. Suppose you have a constant force and you graphed it with force on y-axis. The work would be represented by the area of the rectangle because that area is force multiplied by distance. Rectangle's height would be the force (y-axis). dx is a slice which is a very small rectangle whose height is F and whose width is dx. dW, the area of the slice, is F * dx. Note that the units of F*dx are ft-lbs. Since I indicated above that integration is basically a summing procedure, the units do not change. (3 apples plus 4 apples is 7 apples).

You have inserted an extra space dimension in your integration. Delta W is W multiplied by delta x. dW is W multiplied by dx. In the limit as one likes to say in 'calculese', the delta x becomes dx.

In your problem the force is not constant. The function you specified for it is correct. What is wrong is that you have inserted an extra x in the integrand.

Related to Work integration application problem, answer check

1. What is a work integration application problem?

A work integration application problem is a task or challenge that is designed to assess an individual's ability to integrate their knowledge and skills in a practical or real-world setting. It is often used as part of a job application process to evaluate a candidate's problem-solving abilities and their fit for a particular role.

2. Why do employers use work integration application problems?

Employers use work integration application problems as a way to assess a candidate's skills and abilities beyond what can be seen on a resume or during an interview. It allows them to see how a candidate approaches and solves problems, which is a crucial skill in many job roles.

3. How do I approach a work integration application problem?

The best way to approach a work integration application problem is to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and work through each part systematically. It is also helpful to think out loud and explain your thought process to the evaluator.

4. How important is it to get the correct answer in a work integration application problem?

While getting the correct answer is important in a work integration application problem, it is not the only factor that employers consider. They also look at how you approached the problem, your critical thinking skills, and your ability to communicate your thought process. So even if you don't get the exact answer, it is still valuable to show your problem-solving abilities.

5. Are there any tips for improving my performance on work integration application problems?

Some tips for improving your performance on work integration application problems include practicing similar problems beforehand, managing your time effectively, and asking clarifying questions if needed. It is also helpful to stay calm and focused, and to remember that employers are not looking for perfection but rather your problem-solving skills and thought process.