Integration: Applications to Physics and Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a water container in the shape of a box being lifted 100 feet with a rope. The container has a hole in its side that is corked to prevent leaking, but the cork pops out after 20 seconds and water begins to leak at a rate of 0.5 lb/sec. The question asks how much work is done during the lift. The solution involves finding the force at each point in time and integrating to find the total work, which is equal to 9500 ft/lb.
xterradaniel

Homework Statement

A water container is in the shape of a box with a 1-foot square base and height 2-feet. Alas, the container has a hole half way up its side. Fortunately the hole is corked to prevent leaking. The container is filled with water and lifted 100-feet at a rate of 1/2 foot per second by a 100 foot rope weighing 20 lbs. Twenty seconds into the lift, the cork pops out and water leaks from the container at 0.5 lb/sec. How much work is done in the 100 foot lift?

Homework Equations

d = rt
w = fd
w =[0-100]\int[F(x)dx]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I have done so far:
volume of box = 2*1*1 = 2ft^3
weight of water: m = dv => 62.5lbs/ft^3 * 2ft^3 == 125lbs (box with water intially)
rope weight: 20lbs
Force intial: 145lbs
water loss: D(weight)/dt = -0. 5 lb/sec
so F(t) = 145 - 0.5t

To get t:
D = rt => rate of ascent * time => 0.5 ft/sec * t = x
t = 2x

so substituting: F(t) = 145 - 0.5t, I got F(x) = 145 - 0.5(2x) == 145 - x

Now, integrating:
w = integral (from 0 to 100) 145 - x dx

w = 145x - (1/2)* x^2 ] 0 to 100

which gives: w = 14500 - 5000 => 9500 ft/lb == answer?

PLEASE SOMEBODY LET ME KNOW IF MY PROCESS IS CORRECT OR NOT. I WOULD HATE TO THINK THAT I'M BEGINNING TO UNDERSTAND THIS PROCESS AND IN REALITY DOING IT ALL WRONG.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody? I would truly appreciate it if someone could critic my work...

Related to Integration: Applications to Physics and Engineering

1. What is integration and why is it important in physics and engineering?

Integration is a mathematical concept that is used to find the area under a curve. In physics and engineering, it is used to solve problems related to motion, forces, and energy. Integration allows us to accurately calculate quantities such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, work, and power.

2. How is integration used in solving problems involving motion?

Integration is used to find the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object. By integrating the acceleration function, we can find the velocity function, and by integrating the velocity function, we can find the displacement function. This allows us to determine the motion of an object over a given time period.

3. What are some real-world applications of integration in engineering?

Integration is used in engineering to analyze and design structures such as bridges and buildings. It is also used to calculate the flow of fluids in pipes and to design electrical circuits. In addition, integration is used in the fields of thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and signal processing.

4. How does integration relate to the concept of work and energy?

Integration is used to calculate work, which is the product of force and displacement. It is also used to calculate potential energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a force field. By using integration, we can determine the work done by a force or the change in potential energy of an object.

5. What are some common techniques used for solving integration problems in physics and engineering?

Some common techniques for solving integration problems include using basic integration rules such as the power rule, substitution, and integration by parts. In addition, numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule can be used to approximate the area under a curve. In some cases, integration can also be solved using geometric interpretations or by using computer software.