Work done raising an object. Calculus needed.

In summary: the theorem states that the work done by gravity is proportional to the mass of the object being lifted.
knownothing

Homework Statement

A 50-meter rope weighing 2 N/m supports a piano weighing 600 N. Find the work done in lifting the piano 25 meters

2. Relevant equation.
None of the calculus equation, techniques covers this type of question with mass/length involved.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the formula $W=GMm(1/r-1/r_i)$ for work done by gravity pulling an object downward. The reverse can be used for raising an object. But since $G$ is not given, I assume this formula is irrelevant.

Physics news on Phys.org
knownothing said:

Homework Statement

A 50-meter rope weighing 2 N/m supports a piano weighing 600 N. Find the work done in lifting the piano 25 meters

2. Relevant equation.
None of the calculus equation, techniques covers this type of question with mass/length involved.

I know the formula $W=GMm(1/r-1/r_i)$ for work done by gravity pulling an object downward. The reverse can be used for raising an object. But since $G$ is not given, I assume this formula is irrelevant.
Even if this formula were relevant, you should understand that G is the universal gravitational constant, and its value can be looked up, even on the internet.

Getting back to the problem, even if the work performed lifting the rope were neglected, how would you calculate how much work it takes to lift the piano 25 meters?

In other words, what is the definition of work?

knownothing said:

Homework Statement

2. Relevant equation.

It is correct in principle, but using it is a severe case of "overkill". If all you want is a numerical answer accurate to more precision than you can measure, there is a much, much simpler (approximate) formula that people have been using for the past 400 years. Google "earth's gravitational force".

Besides, the formula above looks only at the plane, and neglects the mass of the rope. The point is that the part of the rope hanging down lessens as the plane is raised up (assuming, for example, that the rope is gradually wound up around a roller), so that portion of the work will be less straightfoward (although simple to obtain using calculus).

Last edited:
No calculus needed ...

Related to Work done raising an object. Calculus needed.

1. How is work defined in the context of raising an object?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In other words, work done raising an object is the product of the force applied and the height the object is raised.

2. What is the formula for calculating work done in raising an object?

The formula for calculating work done is W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. In this case, the distance refers to the height the object is raised.

3. How does calculus play a role in calculating work done in raising an object?

Calculus is needed to calculate the work done in raising an object because it involves finding the area under a curve. In this case, the curve represents the force applied to the object as it is raised to a certain height. Calculus allows us to find the exact area under the curve and determine the work done.

4. Can you give an example of using calculus to calculate work done in raising an object?

Sure, let's say we have an object with a mass of 10kg being raised to a height of 5 meters. The force required to lift this object is 50 Newtons. Using the formula W = F * d, we can calculate that the work done is 250 Joules. To find this using calculus, we would need to integrate the force function from 0 to 5 meters, which would give us the same result of 250 Joules.

5. Why is it important to use calculus in calculating work done in raising an object?

It is important to use calculus because it allows for more accurate and precise calculations. Without calculus, we would have to rely on approximations and estimations, which may not give us an accurate representation of the work done. Calculus also allows us to take into account any changes in force or height, making it the most accurate method for calculating work done in raising an object.