Calculating Work Done on a Particle Using Basic Formulas

In summary, the force acting on the particle is given by F = ma, where m is the mass of the particle. Using the basic work formulas, the work done on the object by the force can be found using the equation W = Fd.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

A single force acts on a 3.3 kg particle-like object in such a way that the position of the object as a function of time is given by x = 2.1t - 1.4t2 + 1.7t3, with x in meters and t in seconds. Find the work done on the object by the force from t = 0 to t = 4.8 s.

Homework Equations

Basic work formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

So i found the distance of the movement by plugging 4.8 for t and got 165.83 m, found the second derivative of the position formula to get the acceleration function, got 46.16m/s/s at 4.8s. I multiplied these quantities as well as the mass to get 25260.6 J. This was obviously wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jrlinton said:

Homework Statement

A single force acts on a 3.3 kg particle-like object in such a way that the position of the object as a function of time is given by x = 2.1t - 1.4t2 + 1.7t3, with x in meters and t in seconds. Find the work done on the object by the force from t = 0 to t = 4.8 s.

Homework Equations

Basic work formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

So i found the distance of the movement by plugging 4.8 for t and got 165.83 m, found the second derivative of the position formula to get the acceleration function, got 46.16m/s/s at 4.8s. I multiplied these quantities as well as the mass to get 25260.6 J. This was obviously wrong
Are you familiar with the integral formula for calculating the work?

Yes but I am ignorant as to how that would work with the givens being position and mass

You have a variable force. How do you find work done if you have a variable force acting on a particle?

EDIT: First, what's the expression for the force acting on the particle?

Likes berkeman
Jrlinton said:
Yes but I am ignorant as to how that would work with the givens being position and mass
Well then please show them to us and start working with the equations. That will help us a lot in helping you. If you can use LaTeX in your posts of the equations, that would be best. I'll find the link to the PF tutorial on LaTeX equations in a sec...

Related to Calculating Work Done on a Particle Using Basic Formulas

1. What is a "Pretty Basic Work Problem"?

A "Pretty Basic Work Problem" refers to a simple issue or challenge that commonly arises in the workplace, such as difficulty with time management or communication with colleagues.

2. How can I identify a "Pretty Basic Work Problem"?

To identify a "Pretty Basic Work Problem", pay attention to any recurring issues or obstacles that you encounter in your daily work routine. These problems may seem small or insignificant, but they can have a big impact on your productivity and overall job satisfaction.

3. What are some common examples of "Pretty Basic Work Problems"?

Some common examples of "Pretty Basic Work Problems" include procrastination, lack of organization, difficulty prioritizing tasks, and poor communication with coworkers or superiors.

4. How can I solve a "Pretty Basic Work Problem"?

The first step in solving a "Pretty Basic Work Problem" is to acknowledge its existence and understand its root cause. Once you have identified the problem, you can then develop a plan of action to address it, such as setting specific goals or using time management techniques.

5. How can I prevent "Pretty Basic Work Problems" from occurring?

To prevent "Pretty Basic Work Problems", it is important to establish good habits and routines in your work life. This can include setting realistic goals, managing your time effectively, and regularly communicating with your colleagues and superiors to avoid misunderstandings or conflicts.