How Is Work Calculated with a Nonconstant Force?

In summary, the work done on an object subject to a nonconstant force of f = (6x^3 -2x) ihat as it moves from x = 0 to x = 100 m is 1.5 × 10^8 joules, determined by integrating the force over the distance. This means that the force is not constant and therefore, the acceleration may also vary.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

An object is subject to a nonconstant force f = (6x^3 -2x) ihat

such that the force is in Newtons when x is in meters. Determine the work done on the object as a result of this force as the object moves from x = 0 to x = 100 m

Homework Equations

w = f * d

The Attempt at a Solution

again not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Plugging in 100 m into f you get

5999800 m, and the total distance covered was 100 m, so multiplying the two you get 5.999 x 10^8 joules but book gives me 1.5 x 10^8 joules

I do not see how the books answer agrees with the equation w = f * d.

alternately I could use [itex] W = \Delta K + E_t [/itex] but I don't think using this equation is right in this case...

Likes Hilmy atha
Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement

An object is subject to a nonconstant force f = (6x^3 -2x) ihat

such that the force is in Newtons when x is in meters. Determine the work done on the object as a result of this force as the object moves from x = 0 to x = 100 m

Homework Equations

w = f * d

The Attempt at a Solution

again not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Plugging in 100 m into f you get

5999800 m, and the total distance covered was 100 m, so multiplying the two you get 5.999 x 10^8 joules but book gives me 1.5 x 10^8 joules

I do not see how the books answer agrees with the equation w = f * d.

alternately I could use [itex] W = \Delta K + E_t [/itex] but I don't think using this equation is right in this case...
I'm pretty sure you need to use an integral for this problem. When the force changes as a function of distance, you need to integrate the force f(x) * dx over the range of distance x. Can you show us that work?

If you haven't use LaTeX before to show integral work, you can find a tutorial under INFO at the top of the page (click Help/How-To).

Likes Hilmy atha
berkeman said:
I'm pretty sure you need to use an integral for this problem. When the force changes as a function of distance, you need to integrate the force f(x) * dx over the range of distance x. Can you show us that work?

If you haven't use LaTeX before to show integral work, you can find a tutorial under INFO at the top of the page (click Help/How-To).

I see. So if acceleration is not constant, then we have to use integral method? and if the force IS constant, we can use equation W = F*d?

Likes Hilmy atha
This involves basic calculus.. you need to find the Work equations first which is

6/4 × X^4 + X^2

now insert X = 100 and X = 0

1.5 10^8 +10^4 - (0)^4 -0^2Wait the answer is different from your book, why?._.
(Btw i can't give you the proper equations since I am on mobile, its too messy)

Hilmy atha said:
This involves basic calculus.. you need to find the Work equations first which is

6/4 × X^4 + X^2

now insert X = 100 and X = 0

1.5 10^8 +10^4 - (0)^4 -0^2Wait the answer is different from your book, why?._.
(Btw i can't give you the proper equations since I am on mobile, its too messy)
I'm not sure this is helpful. Let's see how the OP's work looks first...

Rijad Hadzic said:
I see. So if acceleration is not constant, then we have to use integral method? and if the force IS constant, we can use equation W = F*d?
You haven't been given any information about the acceleration. You are given f(x) and asked to find the work done over a range of x. That means you need to do the integral to figure out the total work over that distance.

Likes Hilmy atha
berkeman said:
I'm not sure this is helpful. Let's see how the OP's work looks first...

Hmm so I integrate function 6x^3 -2x

I get (6/4)x^4 - x^2
(6/4)(100)^4 - (100)^2 = 149990000

so that is my force. My distance is 100, so I multiply 149990000 by 100, and get 1.5 x 10^10

Still not my books answer :(. Why am I off by 10^10 - 10^8 :(?

berkeman said:
You haven't been given any information about the acceleration. You are given f(x) and asked to find the work done over a range of x. That means you need to do the integral to figure out the total work over that distance.
Well its saying that the force is not constant, so I assumed acceleration to be non constant as well... does that seem right?

Rijad Hadzic said:
Hmm so I integrate function 6x^3 -2x

I get (6/4)x^4 - x^2
(6/4)(100)^4

so that is my force. My distance is 100, so I multiply149990000 by 100, and get 1.5 x 10^10

Still not my books answer :(. Why am I off by 10^10 - 10^8 :(?

No no, you got it right. Wow the answer was much closer to the book than i thoguht.

So,149990000 Joule IS your Work. Which rounds up to 1.5 × 10^8. The integral of Force IS work. Your equation has been converted to work equation

Hilmy atha said:
No no, you got it right. Wow the answer was much closer to the book than i thoguht.

So,149990000 Joule IS your Work. Which rounds up to 1.5 × 10^8. The integral of Force IS work. Your equation has been converted to work equation

Ahh okay finally I understand now.

Using the fact that integral of force is work, I didn't have to multiply by 100 at all.

Okay thank you guys. But also if you can answer my question:

"Well its saying that the force is not constant, so I assumed acceleration to be non constant as well... does that seem right?"

I appreciate everything!

Likes berkeman
Rijad Hadzic said:
Ahh okay finally I understand now.
Okay thank you guys. But also if you can answer my question:

"Well its saying that the force is not constant, so I assumed acceleration to be non constant as well... does that seem right?"

I appreciate everything!

Well yes.. if your Force changed, either the accel. or the mass changed. But you don't gain/lose mass along the way :p so yeah acceleration is the one that changes

Likes berkeman

Related to How Is Work Calculated with a Nonconstant Force?

What is work?

Work is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object.

How do you determine the work done?

The work done is determined by multiplying the magnitude of the applied force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This can be calculated using the formula: W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement.

What is the unit of work?

The unit of work is joule (J), which is the same as the unit of energy. It is defined as the work done when a force of 1 newton is applied to an object and moves it a distance of 1 meter in the direction of the force.

Can negative work be done?

Yes, negative work can be done. This occurs when the applied force and the displacement of the object are in opposite directions. This means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the applied force, resulting in the transfer of energy from the object to its surroundings.

How is work related to power?

Work and power are related by the formula: P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. Power is the rate at which work is done, meaning it measures how quickly energy is transferred or transformed.