Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player played the New York Times daily word game and found that they had a higher fail rate in playing against Spanish-speaking humans. They also mentioned that the game is similar to a board game they remember from their childhood.
  • #2,766
Wordle 859 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟨🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,767
gmax137 said:
maybe there's your problem, there? :cool:
There have been no NY Times Wordle solutions ending O in at least the last week. Yet my attempt that day clearly showed O as the last letter of the solution. So something is amiss.

• #2,768
Wordle 858 5/6*

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,769
Wordle 858 3/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
🟨🟨⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,770
Mister T said:
There have been no NY Times Wordle solutions ending O in at least the last week. Yet my attempt that day clearly showed O as the last letter of the solution. So something is amiss.
Does the 'T' in your name stand for 'Time Traveler'?
On October 24th you claimed that 'yesterday was August 23rd'.
The Wordle solution for August 23rd was 'VERVE' and the solution on October 23rd was 'TEMPO'.
So the only thing amiss, as far as I can tell, is when you think you are.

ps. Halloween is in 5 days!

• #2,771
Wordle 859 3/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,772
Wordle 859 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟧
⬜🟦⬜🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #2,773
OmCheeto said:
Does the 'T' in your name stand for 'Time Traveler'?
On October 24th you claimed that 'yesterday was August 23rd'.
The Wordle solution for August 23rd was 'VERVE' and the solution on October 23rd was 'TEMPO'.
So the only thing amiss, as far as I can tell, is when you think you are.

ps. Halloween is in 5 days!
Fun fact: The Wordle solution on the day the above happened, Oct. 24th, had been: CAUSE. And AMISS was on August 17th! Maybe there is more to that time travel thing than we dare to believe.

• #2,774
OmCheeto said:
Oops. Never mind. I need a new brain. 😀 Thanks.

• #2,775
Wordle 859 4/6*

⬛🟨⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Hard one for me.
Piqued my interest though :)

• #2,776
Wordle 859 4/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛🟩
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,778
Wordle 859 4/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,779
Wordle 860 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟩
⬛⬛⬛🟨🟩
🟨🟨⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,780
Wordle 860 3/6

⬜🟦⬜⬜🟧
⬜⬜⬜🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #2,781
Wordle 860 2/6

🟨🟩⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

EDIT: a Lucky first word, "LOSER" ha ha

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes fresh_42 and OmCheeto
  • #2,782
gmax137 said:
Wordle 860 2/6

🟨🟩⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

EDIT: a Lucky first word, "LOSER" ha ha
Noble, noble! And LOSER had already been used.

• #2,784
Wordle 861 3/6

🟨🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,785
Wordle 861 3/6

🟩⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,786
Wordle 861 3/6

🟦⬜🟦⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟦🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #2,787
Wordle 861 4/6

🟨🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟨🟩🟩⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩⬛⬛ Stupidly tried a word that's missing the "N" from word two
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,788
gmax137 said:
Stupidly tried a word that's missing the "N" from word two
It should be noted that it is not necessarily stupid to omit lettters you know are in the word. Many times it can give more information, allowing you to guarantee a solve where strictly keeping all known letters would not. This is why I don’t like ”hard” mode. It can happen that actually getting letters (which should be positive) reduce your freedom of guessing - making it impossible to guarantee a solution where you would otherwise be able to.

• #2,789
Orodruin said:
It should be noted that it is not necessarily stupid to omit lettters you know are in the word. Many times it can give more information, allowing you to guarantee a solve where strictly keeping all known letters would not. This is why I don’t like ”hard” mode. It can happen that actually getting letters (which should be positive) reduce your freedom of guessing - making it impossible to guarantee a solution where you would otherwise be able to.
Yes, and it would be a fantastic test to determine the personal risk aversion function (##\sigma (\mu)##). You give up a try, i.e. reduce ##\sigma ## to the expense of ##\mu.##

• #2,790
Orodruin said:
It should be noted ...
Yes, I agree. But I have self-imposed the "hard" rules on myself. In this case, my third word leapt out at me, I thought, "oh I know, it is BASIC" and typed it in, not realizing I was not following my own rule. That's what made it stupid, lol.

Finding that incorrect did, as you say, eliminate B, I, and C from consideration. My approach was then to try "NAS--", "-ASN-", and "-AS-N" by mentally going A, B, C,... in the first blank. MASON came up pretty quick for me this way.

I think it is interesting to find out how other people do these puzzles.

• #2,791
Wordle 861 4/6*

🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟩🟨
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,793
gmax137 said:
I have two starting words that I will always first and second unless the first gives a lot of information. They cover all vowels and a number of important consonants. I will make my guesses based on the result of that keeping mindful of when there is a necessity to make a guess that cannot be the solution to gain extra information to guarantee success, which I value higher than solving in fewer guesses.

Barrring any misshaps I will reach my longest streak a week from now (that one was broken by a stupid typo in the final guess 🤦‍♂️)

Also

Wordle 862 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Likes gmax137
  • #2,794
Wordle 862 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛🟨
🟨🟨⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,795
Wordle 862 2/6*

⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Could this be the end of my slump?

Likes sbrothy and fresh_42
  • #2,796
Orodruin said:
It should be noted that it is not necessarily stupid to omit lettters you know are in the word. Many times it can give more information, allowing you to guarantee a solve where strictly keeping all known letters would not. This is why I don’t like ”hard” mode.
I have a friend who uses that same strategy. I prefer hard mode though. Perhaps it's because I never had an interest in developing my vocabulary during my formative years, so I'm not very good at guessing words or in general playing word games. Wordle is the only word game I ever liked.

• #2,797
Wordle 862 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟧🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

gmax137 said:
I am following a strategy of word elimination which requires having a list of all candidate words on a spreadsheet. My seed is always the same and chosen such that the number of words that have no letters in common with it is minimized. My seed has an exclusion percentage or 91%. This means that only 9% of the words on the list share zero words with the seed and remain viable. The idea is to maximize the probability of catching letters that are shared with the target word because 91% have at least one shared letter. Having zero shared letters, as was the case today, is no setback because the target word belongs to the limited list of 9%.

My second choice is contingent upon the response to the seed. I make a list of the words remaining viable but instead of trying to guess one, I look at the frequency distribution of the letters in the list. The idea is to form a 5-letter word high frequency letters. This step is intended to increase the probability of catching extra letters and of eliminating words that do not belong.

The third choice is contingent upon what I learned from the second attempt. I look at the viable candidates and see if I can form another word with high frequency letters. If the candidates are few in number, 5 or less, I see if I can find a word that eliminates all but one. A third step was not needed today.

This method has served me well in that I've had 100 Win % since I started. My streak was broken on occasion when I went on vacation where I had no internet access.

Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 9.38.04 AM.png

Likes sbrothy and gmax137
  • #2,798
Wordle 862 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,799
Wordle 862 3/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟨⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My "strategy" can be likened to how Dirk Gently from Douglas Adams' "whodunnit" stories goes about his "detective-work". It's a combination of trial&error, blind luck and a smidge of deduction. :)

Last edited:
  • #2,800
kuruman said:
The idea is to maximize the probability of catching letters that are shared with the target word because 91% have at least one shared letter. Having zero shared letters, as was the case today, is no setback because the target word belongs to the limited list of 9%.
I assume that is still the largest class of possibilities after the first guess? What is the distribution of classes giving shared results for your seed?