Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player played the New York Times daily word game and found that they had a higher fail rate in playing against Spanish-speaking humans. They also mentioned that the game is similar to a board game they remember from their childhood.
  • #1,436
sbrothy said:
Did I get it right?
I don't think so. It was a snippet of historical information about a historic event.
The information is current, e.g. in my post, the web etc. The fact that this information is an account of something that happened in the past makes it historical.

The event itself is over and done and resides entirely in the past. There are many such events that fit this description, e.g. I brushed my teeth this morning, so that alone does not make them historic. A historic event is one that, in addition to being over and done, affects subsequent events and alters "business as usual.". The schism between the two churches was such an event. The Russian Revolution was another.

sbrothy said:
Do I have too much free time? :)
Why are you asking? Do you feel guilty for indulging yourself once in a while? Have you pondered about the distinction between electric and electrical? We have electrical engineers figuring out electric fields; we do not have electric engineers figuring out electrical fields.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,437
Again such a situation when I had two words to start with and I have chosen the wrong one:

Wordle 640 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,438
Wordle 640 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,439
Wordle 640 5/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

About learning Engslish I'm quite serious. I have few opportunities for speaking the language and obviously my vocabulary exceeds my understanding of details.

And no. Not guilty as such but sonetimes I wonder if not my time could've been used more productively.

It's hard really :)

• #1,440
Wordle 640 4/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,441
Wordle 640 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦⬜
🟧🟦🟦⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #1,442
Wordle 640 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Who is it that was collecting stats? Are you still doing that? I wonder how us PF participants compare to all players.

Here are my current stats, if interested: 0, 0, 9, 26, 18, 10, 3

The last number is # of failures.

Last edited:
  • #1,443
sbrothy said:
Wordle 640 5/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

About learning Engslish I'm quite serious. I have few opportunities for speaking the language and obviously my vocabulary exceeds my understanding of details.

And no. Not guilty as such but sonetimes I wonder if not my time could've been used more productively.

It's hard really :)
You're doing fine. I wouldn't be able to tell that your native language is not English just by reading your posts. Actually, one often finds posts by native speakers that contain more grammatical infelicities than yours. A classic example is the confusion about when to use "it's" = "it is" and "its" = "belonging to it". This confusion is understandable because the English language allows one to make statements that look alike but mean different things. For example,
John's father's a teacher = the father of John is a teacher
John's father's car's a Ford = the car belonging to the father of John is a Ford.
One needs to be careful parsing the sentence in order to figure out its (not it's) meaning.

• #1,444
kuruman said:
You're doing fine. I wouldn't be able to tell that your native language is not English just by reading your posts. Actually, one often finds posts by native speakers that contain more grammatical infelicities than yours. A classic example is the confusion about when to use "it's" = "it is" and "its" = "belonging to it". This confusion is understandable because the English language allows one to make statements that look alike but mean different things. For example,
John's father's a teacher = the father of John is a teacher
John's father's car's a Ford = the car belonging to the father of John is a Ford.
One needs to be careful parsing the sentence in order to figure out its (not it's) meaning.

I'm glad and a little surprised by your assessment of my written language. My spoken ditto is another matter entirely though. Many of the words I use I've never heard spoken aloud so I'm often not clear on which syllable to put the enphasis.

By the way, my comment on my free time was meant entirely as a joke. It was even followed by a smiley. Please don't take me too seriously when I make silly statements like that.

EDIT: See just now I became unsure if it's "too serious' or "too seriously". I often go with my first impulse as that is usually the correct one. Also, as you mentioned, sometimes the language seems to allow more than one way. I'll let it stand and let you correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
  • #1,445
Wordle 641 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟩🟨
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,446
Wordle 641 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,448
Wordle 641 4/6*

⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I didn't like this one at all.

• #1,449
Wordle 641 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦🟦
🟧⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #1,450
Wordle 641 3/6

⬜🟩🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

scottdave said:
Who is it that was collecting stats? Are you still doing that? I wonder how us PF participants compare to all players.

Here's mine
0, 3, 9, 23, 14, 4, 0

• #1,451
gmax137 said:
Wordle 641 3/6

⬜🟩🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Here's mine
0, 3, 9, 23, 14, 4, 0

I haven't been participating for so long but ok, here goes:

0, 2, 7, 7, 5, 2EDIT: Wait you have 7. What did I miss?

• #1,452
Wordle 641 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

First in awhile that I've gotten in 3 attempts!

• #1,453
sbrothy said:
I haven't been participating for so long but ok, here goes:

0, 2, 7, 7, 5, 2EDIT: Wait you have 7. What did I miss?
The 7th number is # of failures. So if you dont have any,,its 0 you'll need to calculate it if you don't remember. Just look at how many total games you've played.

• #1,454
scottdave said:
The 7th number is # of failures. So if you dont have any,,its 0 you'll need to calculate it if you don't remember. Just look at how many total games you've played.

Aah! Yeh I distinctly and vividly remember my one failure. *cough*. Nah, it's pretty easy to find:

0, 2, 7, 7 5, 2, 3

Yuch. But then again. What can I expect. I need to stop doing this late at night and on the morning commute.

Or perhaps just disable hardmode.

• Haha
Likes scottdave
  • #1,455
Wordle 642 4/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Back to my usual 4 attempts.

• #1,457
Wordle 642 4/6*

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩⬜🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,458
Wordle 642 4/6

🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟩🟩
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,459
sbrothy said:
Wordle 641 4/6*

⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I didn't like this one at all.

I was about to complain about the complicated artisanal handiwork or lack of comfort with this one but decided against it.

Having a little fun with the correct word should be OK but there's a fine line between poking fun and outright giving it away.

• #1,460
Wordle 642 4/6

🟨⬛🟩⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟩⬛🟨
⬛🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,461
Wordle 642 3/6

🟧⬜🟧🟦⬜
🟦⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #1,462
Wordle 642 3/6

🟩⬜🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,464
Wordle 643 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟨🟨🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,465
Wordle 643 4/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛🟨
⬛🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,466
Wordle 643 4/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Sometimes I mindlessly repeat the positions of the letters I know are wrong. But ofcourse I would say that wouldn't I? :)

• #1,467
Wordle 643 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦⬜
🟦⬜🟧🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #1,470
Wordle 644 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Likes scottdave