Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player played the New York Times daily word game and found that they had a higher fail rate in playing against Spanish-speaking humans. They also mentioned that the game is similar to a board game they remember from their childhood.
  • #3,746
Wordle 1 004 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,748
Wordle 1,004 3/6

⬜⬜🟦⬜🟧
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,749
Wordle 1,004 5/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

some bad picks for guesses 2, 3, 4

• #3,750
gmax137 said:
It was really the only choice after SMELT
That was my previous guess.

• #3,751
Wordle 1,004 4/6*

🟩⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,752
Wordle 1 005 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟩🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,753
Wordle 1,005 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,755
Wordle 1,005 4/6

⬜🟦⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟦🟦🟦⬜
⬜⬜🟦🟦🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,756
Wordle 1,005 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I thought this was a hard one.

Likes Mister T
  • #3,757
Wordle 1,006 1/6

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I swear to god, I did not cheat.

• Wow
  • Love
Likes gmax137, Mister T and Orodruin
  • #3,758
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 1,006 1/6

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I swear to god, I did not cheat.
Let me add one from the other end of the spectrum…

Wordle 1 006 6/6

🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

The streak remains alive!

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
  • #3,759
Wordle 1,006 4/6*

🟨⬜⬜🟨🟩
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,760
There's been some discussion of using a spreadsheet to help solve wordle. Yesterday I ran across several websites such as thewordfinder.com. Is this effectively the same as a spreadsheet? Do people find the use of such websites cheating? It seems this is going to cause a drop in the popularity of wordle. Something's that inevitable anyway, but will just speed it along.

• #3,761
Wordle 1,006 4/6

πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

After my first guess, I made a list of possible words, I thought of 19 (EDIT: I don't know what words are dead, having already been used). So, no hard mode rules! Guesses 2 and 3 narrowed it down to only one.

• #3,763
Wordle 1,006 4/6

🟧⬜🟧⬜🟧
🟧🟧🟧⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧⬜🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,764
Wordle 1 007 2/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

This one felt really good after the 6/6 yesterday

Likes gmax137 and OmCheeto
  • #3,765
Mister T said:
There's been some discussion of using a spreadsheet to help solve wordle. Yesterday I ran across several websites such as thewordfinder.com. Is this effectively the same as a spreadsheet?
Thewordfinder.com does not seem to exclude words that are not on the Wordle solutions list. This makes it less effective. There are other websites that do (or offer the option).

Mister T said:
Do people find the use of such websites cheating?
It is a single player game played solely for your own enjoyment. Do whatever you find more fun. If you would find it fun to have someone tell you the solution every morning so you always get 1/6, you do you. It doesn’t affect my game.

Mister T said:
It seems this is going to cause a drop in the popularity of wordle.
[Citation needed]

If you don’t like such pages, don’t use them. Simple.

Let others do what they prefer as well. Results are of course not comparable, but they are already not comparable for several other reasons too.

Likes Mister T
  • #3,766
Wordle 1,007 5/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,768
Wordle 1,007 4/6

⬜⬜🟦⬜🟦
🟦⬜⬜🟦⬜
🟦⬜🟦🟧⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,769
Wordle 1,007 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,770
Wordle 1,007 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟨⬜🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,771
Orodruin said:
[Citation needed]
It's just my opinion. Wordle's popularity will fade. I suppose with a bit of research I could find cases of other games whose popularity faded. One of the things that I enjoy about it is the friendly competition, but I enjoy it less knowing that other people are relying on resources other than their own vocabulary.

I wonder if others have similar feelings.

• #3,772
Mister T said:
It's just my opinion. Wordle's popularity will fade. I suppose with a bit of research I could find cases of other games whose popularity faded. One of the things that I enjoy about it is the friendly competition, but I enjoy it less knowing that other people are relying on resources other than their own vocabulary.

That popularity fades is not in question. The controversial statement is that this will be sped up by the existence of tools. Some people find that using such tools - or spreadsheets - actually enhances their game experience. Let them do so I say. It doesn't affect my game or my enjoyment of the game. Just looking in this thread, people's results overall or on individual games cannot be compared. There are a lot of variations on the personal "rules" we impose on ourselves. Many keep spreadsheets and list "taken" words, that makes the game less fun for me so why would it impact my game? Others do "hard" mode, which just doesn't make sense to me but does to others. "Friendly competition" was always unbalanced.

Playing some computer games, I could compare myself to speed runners who exploit the game down to the bones to get the fastest game completion - or I could just sit back, relax, and enjoy the game in a way that I find gives me the most for my time.

Likes Mister T
  • #3,773
Mister T said:

I think Wordle is intended to be ephemeral since, by all accounts, words are to be used only once. There are about 2300 common words from which the daily puzzle is chosen and about 13,000 acceptable 5-letter words. I enjoy using the extended list if I need a specific combination of letters because I discover new words and learn something from the experience. My most memorable example was when I needed a 5-letter word with WKF in it and I found WAKFS. It made my day and helped me zero in the answer more quickly.

I don't see this as relying on resources. I see it as a fun way to use resources for discovery and expansion of my active vocabulary. For me it's not a game with myself to see how well I can dredge words out of my memory. The answer "not well" was settled in my mind a long time ago and I derive no pleasure to see it reaffirmed. Nothing beats a computer as far as remembering things is concerned so I use a spreadsheet for the task. Using the same reasoning, I strike a match when I light my charcoal grill instead of rubbing two sticks together. As @Orodruin intimated, it's a personal experience. We all get what we want out of it in a spirit of camaraderie, not competition.

Likes Mister T and Orodruin
  • #3,774
What I find fascinating is that even though I've played nearly 800 games and have a monstrously complicated spreadsheet that almost plays the game for me, I can still come in last place. There is either a lot of luck involved, or I have gotten really stupid in my old age.

Likes Mister T
  • #3,775
kuruman said:
We all get what we want out of it in a spirit of camaraderie, not competition.
Good point. I see a lot of overlap, though, between sportsmanlike competition and camaraderie.

• #3,776
Wordle 1,008 4/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨🟨
⬜⬜🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,777
Wordle 1 008 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,778