Word problem Polynomialf(x)

In summary: The bionomial theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function has a certain type of equation, then there is a function that can be calculated from those equations that satisfies the same mathematical conditions as the original function. In this case, you're trying to find a function that will satisfy the equation x(16x + 20) = 0. Unfortunately, there isn't a function that satisfies this equation exactly, so you'll have to use a calculator or computer to find the solution.
Nelo

Homework Statement

A rectangular shipping container that the Food Bank uses to store their tinned food, has a volume of 2500 cm3. The container is 4 times as wide as it is deep, and 5cm taller than it is wide. What are the dimensions of the container

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(x)(4x)(4x+5)

= 4x^3 + 20x^2 .

Usually when it asks for dimensions it wants the roots, However i went from factored to expanded, so wth am i supposed to do? can't use bionomial theorem b/c already know the facotred form, etc.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
any1?

You have an expression for the volume: (x)(4x)(4x+5 cm), where x is in cm. What this expression says is that if you specify the depth of the container, x, you can figure out the volume. You don't know the depth, though - what you know is the volume, so you have the reverse problem. The volume given is 2500 cm^3, so your task is to find the depth x such that

2500 cm^3 = (x)(4x)(4x+5 cm)

(Also, double-check your expanded form - you made a mistake).

yes, I understand what it is saying.. But what is my next step?

Or do i just combine the first two ? 16x^2 + 20x

Then use quadratic? or factor out? x(16x + 20 )

Idk..

It's a cubic equation. You can't use the quadratic formula. You have to solve the equation:

16x^3 + (20 cm)x^2 - 2500 cm^3 = 0

There's no nice-and-easy cubic formula that you can use to solve this. One way to solve it would be using a calculator or computer. However, perhaps you learned some tricks in class to try and solve cubic equations with integer coefficients? It turns out the relevant solution to the equation is rather simple.

Simplify the cubic equation into the form x^2 (...) = ..., I found it easier in that form.

verty said:
Simplify the cubic equation into the form x^2 (...) = ..., I found it easier in that form.
I don't see how this is helpful, since the right side won't be zero.

Ive tried solving it and i get 16x^3 + (20 cm)x^2 - 2500 cm^3 , but there is simply no factors that will make the eq = 0, so i can't use bionomial theorem. does it mean its not solveable without technology?

To make the coefficients a little bit more manageable, factor out the G.C.F. Then use the rational roots theorem. You'll find one integer root that is positive. The other two roots are complex.

And what is this bionomial theorem that you speak of? Never heard of it.

Related to Word problem Polynomialf(x)

1. What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical expression that contains variables and coefficients, and is formed by combining these using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can also be written in the form of f(x) = anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0, where n is a non-negative integer and a0, a1, ..., an are constants.

2. How do I solve a word problem involving a polynomial function?

To solve a word problem involving a polynomial function, you will need to first identify the variables and coefficients in the problem. Then, use the given information to create an equation in the form of f(x) = anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0. Finally, solve the equation to find the value of the variable being asked for in the problem.

3. What are the different types of polynomial functions?

The different types of polynomial functions include linear, quadratic, cubic, and higher degree polynomials. A linear polynomial has a degree of 1, a quadratic polynomial has a degree of 2, a cubic polynomial has a degree of 3, and higher degree polynomials have degrees greater than 3.

4. How can I determine the degree of a polynomial function?

To determine the degree of a polynomial function, you will need to find the highest power of the variable in the expression. For example, if the polynomial function is f(x) = 3x5 + 2x3 + 7x, the degree is 5 because it is the highest power of x in the expression.

5. Can a polynomial function have more than one variable?

Yes, a polynomial function can have more than one variable. For example, f(x,y) = 2x2y + 3xy2 + 5x + 2y is a polynomial function with two variables, x and y.