Really with word problem - maximizing area

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a problem using only calculus, without linear programming. The problem involved a farmer wanting to build a rectangular pen using 100 feet of fencing material and a barn wall that is 40 feet long. The goal was to find the maximum possible area for the pen. One solution was attempted by finding the critical points of the derivative, but it was realized that this was incorrect because it did not account for the extra 10 feet needed for the barn wall. The correct solution is to use a length of 30 feet and a width of 40 feet, which was found through linear programming. However, this method was not allowed for this particular problem.
csc2iffy
Homework Statement
We have to solve this problem using only what we learned in calculus (no linear programming)
I attached a picture to help :)

A farmer wants to build a rectangular pen. He has a barn wall 40 feet long, some or all of which must be used for all or part of one side of the pen. In other words, with f feet of of fencing material, he can build a pen with a perimeter of up to f+40 feet, and remember he isn't required to use all 40 feet.
What is the maximum possible area for the pen if 100 feet of fencing is available?

The attempt at a solution
I attempted to solve by finding the critical points of the derivative:
2x+y=100 --> y=100-2x
x(100-2x)=100x-2x^2
f'(x)=100-4x
100-4x=0 --> x=25
2(25)+y=100 --> y=50
A=1250

BUT I realize this is wrong because if y=50, then the side of the barn needs an extra 10 feet, but all of the fencing material has been used by the other 3 sides. Help please? (p.s. I know the answer is 30 by 40, I figured it out using LP but was told I'm not allowed to do it this way)

Physics news on Phys.org
here is the picture

Related to Really with word problem - maximizing area

What is the concept of maximizing area in a word problem?

The concept of maximizing area in a word problem involves finding the largest possible area for a given shape or object. This can be achieved by using mathematical equations and principles to determine the dimensions that will result in the greatest area.

How is maximizing area relevant in real life?

Maximizing area is relevant in real life in various situations, such as maximizing the floor space of a room, maximizing the yield of a crop field, or maximizing the capacity of a storage container. It is also used in engineering and architecture to design structures with the most efficient use of space.

What are the common shapes involved in maximizing area problems?

The most common shapes involved in maximizing area problems are rectangles, triangles, and circles. These shapes have specific formulas that can be used to calculate their area, making them ideal for solving maximizing area problems.

What are the steps to solving a maximizing area word problem?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem, identifying the given information and what is being asked. Then, use the appropriate formula for the shape involved to find the area. Next, set up an equation using the area formula and any other given information. Finally, solve for the variable that will result in the largest area.

How can I check if my answer is correct for a maximizing area problem?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and calculating the area. If it matches the maximum area calculated earlier, then your answer is correct. You can also use a graph to visualize the shape and its dimensions to confirm the maximum area.