What Are the Dimensions of a Cereal Box with Given Proportions and Volume?

• Thread starter anonymous12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
This means that the width is 4 times greater than the depth. In summary, the cereal box is a rectangular prism with a volume of 2500cm^2 and its dimensions are 5cm x 20cm x 25cm (height x depth x width).
anonymous12

Homework Statement

The cereal box is a rectangular prism with a volume of 2500cm^2. The box is 4 times as wide as it is deep, and 5 cm taller tan it is wide. What are the dimensions of the box.

Homework Equations

v = l x w x d
l = w + 5

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I don't understand the wordings of the part I made italics. Does that part mean that the width is 4 times the depth or the depth is 4 times the width?

Physics news on Phys.org
anonymous12 said:

Homework Statement

The cereal box is a rectangular prism with a volume of 2500cm^2. The box is 4 times as wide as it is deep, and 5 cm taller tan it is wide. What are the dimensions of the box.

Homework Equations

v = l x w x d
l = w + 5

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I don't understand the wordings of the part I made italics. Does that part mean that the width is 4 times the depth or the depth is 4 times the width?
The box is 4 times as wide as it is deep
Rephrasing this sentence slightly - The width of the box is 4 times as large as its depth.

Related to What Are the Dimensions of a Cereal Box with Given Proportions and Volume?

What is the Factor Theorem problem?

The Factor Theorem problem is a mathematical concept that involves determining whether a given polynomial function has a particular value as a root. This theorem is used to factorize polynomials and solve equations.

How do you determine if a polynomial is a factor of another polynomial?

To determine if a polynomial is a factor of another polynomial, you can use the Factor Theorem. This states that a polynomial f(x) is a factor of another polynomial g(x) if and only if f(c) = 0, where c is a root of g(x). In other words, if the polynomial you are testing as a factor has a root in common with the original polynomial, then it is a factor.

What is the significance of the Factor Theorem in algebra?

The Factor Theorem is significant in algebra as it allows us to simplify complex polynomial functions into smaller, more manageable parts. It also helps us to find the roots of a polynomial function, which is essential for solving equations and graphing functions.

What are some real-life applications of the Factor Theorem?

The Factor Theorem has various real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in engineering, the Factor Theorem is used to find the roots of a polynomial function to determine the stability of a system. In economics, it is used to analyze demand and supply functions.

How can I use the Factor Theorem to solve equations?

To solve equations using the Factor Theorem, you first need to factor the polynomial function into its simplest form. Then, set each factor equal to zero and solve for the variable. The solutions to these equations will be the roots of the original polynomial function.