Word problem: initial height of projectile

In summary, the equation h = -5t^2+ 5t + 210 models the path of a ball thrown from a cliff, where h is the height in meters and t is the time in seconds after it is thrown. Setting t=0, the height of the ball on the cliff is 210 meters.
mathdrama
A ball is thrown from a cliff. The path of the ball modeled by the equation
h = -5t^2+ 5t + 210,
where h is the height, in metres, of the ball above the ground, and t is the time, in seconds, after it is thrown. How high is the cliff?

Not really sure how to do this problem. I know that one of the roots is -6, but I don't know how to use this information.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: word problem

mathdrama said:
A ball is thrown from a cliff. The path of the ball modeled by the equation
h = -5t^2+ 5t + 210,
where h is the height, in metres, of the ball above the ground, and t is the time, in seconds, after it is thrown. How high is the cliff?

Not really sure how to do this problem. I know that one of the roots is -6, but I don't know how to use this information.

Since $t$ is the time after the ball is thrown, you have to set $t=0$ at the equation to find the height of the ball before it's thrown, so when it is still on the cliff.

So to make sure I have this right...

Let t = 0
h = -5(0^2) + 5(0) + 210
h = 0 + 0 + 210
h = 210
Therefore, the cliff is 210 meters high.

mathdrama said:
So to make sure I have this right...

Let t = 0
h = -5(0^2) + 5(0) + 210
h = 0 + 0 + 210
h = 210
Therefore, the cliff is 210 meters high.

Yes, it is right! (Yes)

I would approach this problem by first understanding the given equation and its components. The equation models the height of the ball, h, in relation to time, t, after it is thrown. The -5t^2 term indicates that the ball is experiencing a downward acceleration due to gravity, while the +5t term represents the initial velocity of the ball. The constant term, 210, represents the initial height of the ball.

To find the initial height of the cliff, we need to find the value of h when t is equal to 0, as this would represent the height of the ball at the moment it is thrown. Substituting t=0 into the equation, we get:

h = -5(0)^2 + 5(0) + 210 = 210

This means that the initial height of the ball, and therefore the height of the cliff, is 210 meters.

To further verify this result, we can also use the fact that one of the roots of the equation is -6. This means that at t=-6, the ball will reach the ground and h will be equal to 0. Substituting t=-6 into the equation, we get:

h = -5(-6)^2 + 5(-6) + 210 = 0

This confirms that the initial height of the cliff is 210 meters, as the ball reaches the ground after 6 seconds.

In summary, the initial height of the cliff can be found by substituting t=0 into the given equation, and the result is 210 meters. Alternatively, we can use the fact that one of the roots of the equation is -6 to verify this result.

Related to Word problem: initial height of projectile

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is an object that is launched into the air and moves in a curved path due to the force of gravity. Examples of projectiles include a thrown baseball, a launched rocket, or a bullet fired from a gun.

2. What is the initial height of a projectile?

The initial height of a projectile is the height at which the object is launched or released. It is usually measured from the ground or a specific reference point.

3. How do you calculate the initial height of a projectile?

To calculate the initial height of a projectile, you need to know the object's initial velocity, launch angle, and the acceleration due to gravity. Using these values, you can use the formula h = v02sin2(θ)/2g, where h is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Why is the initial height important in projectile motion?

The initial height is important because it affects the trajectory and final position of the projectile. A higher initial height will result in a longer flight time and a farther horizontal displacement, while a lower initial height will result in a shorter flight time and a shorter horizontal displacement.

5. How does air resistance affect the initial height of a projectile?

Air resistance can affect the initial height of a projectile by slowing down the object's horizontal velocity and reducing its range. This means that for a given initial velocity and launch angle, the object will not travel as far and will have a shorter initial height due to the opposing force of air resistance.