Women and painting: is it just me or do they really, really like it?

• Thread starter OAQfirst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary: I think it's down to the nurturing side of women. They like to feel like they're making a difference in the world, even if it's just for one room.
OAQfirst
I'm noticing a pattern here. It seems to me that women love grabbing a roller and throwing some paint on the walls. Which I find appealing. It's a general stereotype I'm looking at as a possibility: guys tear down motors; women shop for shoes; guys go hunting; women dip brushes. This whole women painting thing is new to me, so am I seeing it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just reading this makes me want spread out a drop cloth.

...masking tape...*drool*...

lisab said:
Just reading this makes me want spread out a drop cloth.

...masking tape...*drool*...
Ah, now I get it.

french+guy.jpg

41603338_7b795fbf0c.jpg

I've never tried painting. I guess I don't know what I've been missing.

I'm in the middle of painting the last room that desperately needed painting to get rid of hideous colors. I enjoy it. It's sort of relaxing because it's such a simple task to do that you can let your mind wander onto other things while doing it.

Just make sure you don't repaint a wall with a light color into the evening in a room with no adequate lighting...damnit

junglebeast said:
Just make sure you don't repaint a wall with a light color into the evening in a room with no adequate lighting...damnit

How did you know that's what I'm doing? It's amazing how you think you've done a great job until you see it in the light of day the next morning. But, then, I expected to need two coats. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
How did you know that's what I'm doing? It's amazing how you think you've done a great job until you see it in the light of day the next morning. But, then, I expected to need two coats. :biggrin:

That was just my second mistake. The first mistake was suggesting that the color be chosen based on holding the color plate in partial shade to account for poor lighting, which somehow turned into me suggesting pastel pink instead of purple :rolleyes:

junglebeast said:
That was just my second mistake. The first mistake was suggesting that the color be chosen based on holding the color plate in partial shade to account for poor lighting, which somehow turned into me suggesting pastel pink instead of purple :rolleyes:

LOL! The first time I ever painted a room, I ended up doing that. At least I'm female, so could get away with having pinkish walls. But I wanted just a light grayish-purple, not pink.

Is it possible that, more than painting in particular, women like re-decorating in general ?

humanino said:
Is it possible that, more than painting in particular, women like re-decorating in general ?

Ya think?

humanino said:

Nah, what would give you that idea? o:) As I told my movers, just get the furniture into the right rooms, don't worry about where it is in the room, I'm going to spend the next 6 months pushing it around to find the right spots for it all anyway. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I'm going to spend the next 6 months pushing it around to find the right spots for it all anyway. :biggrin:

Same here. That's what I told my boyfriend. Wait - I mean, my movers.

I know several women who like to color childrens' coloring books when they're stressed, because it relaxes them. In a pretty direct way, painting a room is just the "grown up" version of coloring, ain't it?

- Warren

Math Is Hard said:
Same here. That's what I told my boyfriend. Wait - I mean, my movers.

Did you just mistake your boyfriend for your mover, or your mover for your boyfriend? :smile:

- Warren

But professional painters arent women... odd

chroot said:
I know several women who like to color childrens' coloring books when they're stressed, because it relaxes them. In a pretty direct way, painting a room is just the "grown up" version of coloring, ain't it?

- Warren

Yes, I like to color to unstress too. Though, I've moved up from coloring books and started doing anatomical illustrations for work. I think it's any small project that does the trick. It's the same thing that makes stuff like lawnmowing or working on plumbing or any number of home repairs good stress relief. You can just focus entirely on that simple task that's all physical and not very mental and get out all your frustrations.

chroot said:
I know several In a pretty direct way, painting a room is just the "grown up" version of coloring, ain't it?

- Warren

No. Painting a mural on a wall requires sanding the wall, laying out a design, and then painting. It's hard work, fun, and exhausting. Just painting a room is beginners' stuff unless the walls are 35 feet high.:-p Hire a painting contractor to do it.

I vote myself in as a Mentor. :approve:

humanino said:

Yes that is very true.:smile: Women tend to be more creative then the majority of men. Perhaps the reason for this is they are apt to change on the spin of a dime so to speak. Flexible and adaptive creatures tend to be a tad more creative in expression thus forth a comfort zone exists. The arts survive and pleasure is derived from such. :smile:

Men post pointless BS on the internet

OAQfirst said:
I'm noticing a pattern here. It seems to me that women love grabbing a roller and throwing some paint on the walls. Which I find appealing. It's a general stereotype I'm looking at as a possibility: guys tear down motors; women shop for shoes; guys go hunting; women dip brushes. This whole women painting thing is new to me, so am I seeing it right?

Dear OP, as a woman I'd say stereotyping "all" women like the same thing would be flawed thinking.:smile:

Moonbear said:
Yes, I like to color to unstress too. Though, I've moved up from coloring books and started doing anatomical illustrations for work. I think it's any small project that does the trick. It's the same thing that makes stuff like lawnmowing or working on plumbing or any number of home repairs good stress relief. You can just focus entirely on that simple task that's all physical and not very mental and get out all your frustrations.

I've done botanical illustrations. It's very intense yet relaxing in a way. Many hours with fine details can be tiring on the eyes. The satisfaction of knowing you have accomplished such a feat is personal gratification. I think you feel the same way.

I wouldn't wish to demeane the working community of professional gardeners, union plumbers, or general contractors by suggesting their work is a "simple" task or that it doesn't require a high level of concentration vis intelligence.:smile: I don't think that was your intention Moonbear.

Last edited:
neu said:

This is a rude and uncharitable remark. Do you have anything worthy to contribute to this topic besides your remark? What do you think about WOMEN and PAINTING?

Woman really really like painting, I don't know why. The only reason guys like painting is to pick up woman. Whether it be painting or playing the guitar, following the path of the artistic hippy is a great way to get phone numbers.

neu said:

I'd like to argue this but I think I just ended up supporting it with this post.

Blenton said:
But professional painters arent women... odd

Actually, the last painter my landlord sent over was a woman. She was a college student with her own little business. She did very nice work.

ViewsofMars said:
I wouldn't wish to demeane the working community of professional gardeners, union plumbers, or general contractors by suggesting their work is a "simple" task or that it doesn't require a high level of concentration vis intelligence.:smile: I don't think that was your intention Moonbear.

Honestly, they are simple tasks that don't require a lot of intelligence. That's why people can be employed in those professions even if they haven't graduated high school. People seem overly impressed that I can handle most home repairs myself (the ones I can't generally are those that require a second set of hands to hold stuff), and I never really understand why they think these things are so hard to do. Physically taxing, sure, but not mentally challenging. Sure, there are people with the muscle mass of a twig and complete lack of coordination who couldn't handle these things without hurting themselves, but it's much more of a brawn over brains kind of thing.

This is why men try not to let women do these jobs...they fear that the more of us who do them for ourselves, the less they can get away with pretending it's a long, hard job to do because we'll know better.

For example, this weekend, one of the things I did was replace the kitchen faucet. The one I had was cheap and too low to fit pots under it, so I got a different one that's more functional. The instructions, honest to goodness, said the average time to install it was 90 minutes, NOT including removing existing faucets. Seriously. 90 minutes? It had 4 nuts to screw on...one each for the hot and cold water lines, one for the sprayer, and one to screw the whole thing to the sink top. It took me longer to clear all the stuff out from under the sink and replace it all back than it did to actually remove the old faucet and install the new one. Maybe if I had to replace the shut-off valves along with the faucet, adding some running up and down to the main water shut off, a trip to the store for supplies, and soldering in a cramped space might have taken longer, but sheesh, 90 minutes to screw on 4 nuts? :smile: Yeah, don't let anyone convince you that stuff is difficult.

ViewsofMars said:
Dear OP, as a woman I'd say stereotyping "all" women like the same thing would be flawed thinking.:smile:

Which is why I used the word "general" to modify "stereotype," to avoid such incrimination. Thus I did not imply that this covered "all" women.

Pff. Women.

*ducks to avoid flying plate*

Math Is Hard said:
I'm easily confused. :redface: (I'm blonde, y'know.)
ViewsofMars - LOOK, LOOK! :biggrin:

Last edited:
chroot said:
Did you just mistake your boyfriend for your mover, or your mover for your boyfriend? :smile:

I'm easily confused. :redface: (I'm blonde, y'know.)

chroot said:

- Warren

I was about to ask the same. Sounds like it might be a really, really good read.

OAQfirst said:
Which is why I used the word "general" to modify "stereotype," to avoid such incrimination. Thus I did not imply that this covered "all" women.

Pff. Women.

*ducks to avoid flying plate*

You said, "It's a general stereotype I'm looking at as a possibility: guys tear down motors; women shop for shoes; guys go hunting; women dip brushes. This whole women painting thing is new to me, so am I seeing it right?"

The word general in your sentence is an adjective:

General

Adjective
1. Applying to all or most members of a category or group; "the general public"; "general assistance"; "a general rule"; "in general terms"; "comprehensible to the general reader".

2. Not specialized or limited to one class of things; "general studies"; "general knowledge".

3. Of national scope; "a general election".

4. Prevailing among and common to the general public; "the general discontent".

5. (medicine) affecting the entire body; "a general anesthetic"; "general symptoms".

6. Somewhat indefinite; "bearing a general resemblance to the original"; "a general description of the merchandise".

7. Of worldwide scope or applicability; "an issue of cosmopolitan import"; "the shrewdest political and ecumenical comment of our time"- Christopher Morley; "universal experience".
http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/general

My response was, "Dear OP, as a woman I'd say stereotyping "all" women like the same thing would be flawed thinking." Reference to #1 within the definition as a noted above. Or apply to what pleases you. :biggrin:

Thanks!

p.s. I've never thrown an object in anger at a man or woman.

Last edited by a moderator:
ViewsofMars said:
My response was, "Dear OP, as a woman I'd say stereotyping "all" women like the same thing would be flawed thinking." Reference to #1 within the definition as a noted above. Or apply to what pleases you. :biggrin:

Huh?

Anyway, I'll toss this in now to avoid further damage to my china. Women are just freaking awesome.

ViewsofMars said:

The first definition you're referencing says "all or most." You seem to be narrowing that definition only to "all."

I can't quite tell if you're being serious or enjoying the joking the rest of us are doing in this thread, so if I'm interpreting your comments as serious when they are not, just ignore this.

Moonbear is just really, really freaking awesome!

Moonbear said:
Honestly, they are simple tasks that don't require a lot of intelligence. That's why people can be employed in those professions even if they haven't graduated high school. People seem overly impressed that I can handle most home repairs myself (the ones I can't generally are those that require a second set of hands to hold stuff), and I never really understand why they think these things are so hard to do. Physically taxing, sure, but not mentally challenging. Sure, there are people with the muscle mass of a twig and complete lack of coordination who couldn't handle these things without hurting themselves, but it's much more of a brawn over brains kind of thing.

I'm really surprised by your response Moonbear. You obviously lack the knowledge to make assumptions about who is and who isn't intelligent. The majority of people in those professions that I do know are skilled and have a high school education and 4 years of trade school (union) with continuing madatory educational courses. And they do make plenty of $$$$$$$. They have an extremely high level of intelligence. They build hospitals, refineries, hotels, prisons, etc. I should mention that I have friends from every walk of life. And, if I throw a party everyone is invited including scientists, the garbage man, paper boy, musician, kids, CEO's, Trustees, etc. No power play there. Just living life to the fullest and enjoying the company. (I most definitely wouldn't ever tell a child they weren't intelligent.)

Furthermore, if you had a 4,000 sq. foot house built with a pool and landscaped you would know otherwise.

Simple repairs are simply not taxing. But, we can't overlook the big ticket items!

This is why men try not to let women do these jobs...they fear that the more of us who do them for ourselves, the less they can get away with pretending it's a long, hard job to do because we'll know better.

I don't think so. It seems to me that the men you know are very different from the men I know. Plus, I have enough work to do. I like to garden, but I'm not going to chop down a 50 foot tree or build an harbor. I leave it for a professional.

For example, this weekend, one of the things I did was replace the kitchen faucet. The one I had was cheap and too low to fit pots under it, so I got a different one that's more functional. The instructions, honest to goodness, said the average time to install it was 90 minutes, NOT including removing existing faucets. Seriously. 90 minutes? It had 4 nuts to screw on...one each for the hot and cold water lines, one for the sprayer, and one to screw the whole thing to the sink top. It took me longer to clear all the stuff out from under the sink and replace it all back than it did to actually remove the old faucet and install the new one. Maybe if I had to replace the shut-off valves along with the faucet, adding some running up and down to the main water shut off, a trip to the store for supplies, and soldering in a cramped space might have taken longer, but sheesh, 90 minutes to screw on 4 nuts? :smile: Yeah, don't let anyone convince you that stuff is difficult.

Congratulations. You probably saved yourself $250.00 on installation fees if you had had it done in my neck of the woods. :wink:

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have no desire to change my faucet or replace the roof. I have passed that age of wanting to fix everything that might break. My priorities are different then yours. My time is spent on doing what I like. It might have to do with my age. And I'm a firm believer that each person has the right to choose what they want to do. Decision making is an attribute of being an intelligent person.

Thanks for the exchange. Very enlightening. Have a great day! :biggrin: Do whatever makes you happy. Intelligent people most often do that by balancing - the extrodinary with the ordinary. At least that is what I have found to be true.

Moonbear said:
The first definition you're referencing says "all or most." You seem to be narrowing that definition only to "all."

I can't quite tell if you're being serious or enjoying the joking the rest of us are doing in this thread, so if I'm interpreting your comments as serious when they are not, just ignore this.

Words are my little darlings. :smile: Yes, I like definitions. Yes, it was an adjective denoting "all".

Some things I do take seriously. I'm not offended easily. I am a WOMAN and this topic pertains to me so I'm interested what men and women have to contribute. I don't wish for a boundry line to exist between us in the sense that what they do for a living determines their worth to society. :approve:

It's been great having a chance to get to know you. Without judgement or condemnation we live on a planet that is diverse and people who are unique. :smile: