Wish to help out in a research lab, which comp lang to learn?

In summary, the speakers discussed the importance of learning programming languages for research positions, particularly in engineering related fields. They advised exploring different research areas and determining which languages are commonly used in those areas. It was also suggested to focus on learning computing principles rather than specific languages.
kougou
Hello
I am a undergrad electrical engineering student. I took two courses on C before. With C, this seems to be not enough because I am hoping to help out in some engineering related research project at school.

Currently, I have no idea what type of research I am looking for. I am just wondering, out of all comp lang out there, which one is used the most in the research lab? C++/ phyron, etc...

I am looking for any advice on getting a research position or helping out in a research lab.

Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is research group specific. I can tell you common ones, but that's not necessarily going to help.

any suggestion? is this question too broad or what?

I think the question is too broad. If you aren't sure what type of research you want to do, its hard to recommend a specific language to learn. MatLab is useful, so is C, so is R, as well as others. It'd be best if you looked around at what research seems cool and then look up what languages those profs are using.

kougou said:
Currently, I have no idea what type of research I am looking for. I am just wondering, out of all comp lang out there, which one is used the most in the research lab? C++/ phyron, etc...

I'm studying to be a biologist, so I was wondering what kind of chemical I should brew up in my home chemistry set in order to be the most helpful in some unspecified bio lab.

What the hell is phyron? That sounds adequately obscure that nobody will have heard of it.

What you should learn with regard to computing is computing, not any specific language. Learn how to write code that is easy to maintain, easy to verify, easy to validate. If you have that then you can pick up enough of whatever language they are using to get on with the job.
Dan

You should see what languages your research group uses and learn them.

For example, my group uses MATLAB, Python, C, and C++.

Related to Wish to help out in a research lab, which comp lang to learn?

1. What are the benefits of learning a programming language for research?

Learning a programming language can greatly enhance your skills as a researcher. It allows you to automate tasks, analyze data, and create visualizations, making your work more efficient and effective.

2. Which programming language is most commonly used in research labs?

The most commonly used programming language in research labs is Python. It is versatile, user-friendly, and has a wide range of libraries and tools specifically designed for scientific computing and data analysis.

3. Are there any other programming languages that are useful for research?

Yes, there are many other programming languages that are useful for research. Some popular options include R, MATLAB, and Java. The best language for you to learn depends on the specific type of research you will be conducting.

4. Is it necessary to have prior programming experience to work in a research lab?

No, it is not necessary to have prior programming experience to work in a research lab. Many labs provide training and resources for learning programming languages, and it is never too late to start learning.

5. Can learning a programming language help me in my future career as a scientist?

Absolutely! In today's digital age, programming skills are in high demand in many scientific fields. Learning a programming language can make you a more competitive and versatile candidate for various research positions.