DOE SULI Advice For Biology Background - Renewable Energy Development

In summary, the speaker is an upperclassmen undergrad with a background in biochemistry and molecular biology, as well as some coursework in chemistry and physics. They have completed three summer research projects in the fields of functional genomics, enzyme kinetics, proteomics, and structural characterization. They have also completed a two-semester mass spectrometry based metabolomics project. They are interested in applying for a semester-based SULI in spring 2024 focused on biofuel and renewable energy development, but are concerned about their lack of formal training in upper division chemistry and physics. They are seeking advice and experiences from others who have participated in SULI or worked at national labs as an undergrad.
Lance123
Hi Everyone! I am an upperclassmen undergrad of a biol background, with mainly course training in biochemistry and molecular biol, and taken chem like o-chem and a-chem, and introductory physics. I have three short term summer projects at top 5 institutions in the past and in the field of functional genomics, enzyme kinetic, proteomics, and structural characterization via x-ray crystallography. I have also completed a two semester mass spec based metabolomics in high independence from scratch of experimental design.

I am interested to apply to a semester based SULI in spring 2024 on biofuel and renewable energy development. However, I am afraid that having no formal course training in more upper division chemistry and physics, it might held me back a bit. Though of course I believe that I could learn a lot especially considering that my research have been extensively adopting analytical chemistry instruments.

But coming from a school not so strong in stem and no engineering school, I don't have anyone in my immediate and circle circle that could provide a lot of advice on my end, I would really appreciate any words of advice on my current situation. I would also really appreciate anyone who could tell me their experiences on biochem/chemistry research experiences as part of SULI or just broadly working at national labs as an undergrad. Thank you for everyone's time !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on your impressive academic background and research experience! It sounds like you have a strong foundation in biochemistry and molecular biology, which are important areas of study for renewable energy development.

In terms of your concerns about lacking formal training in upper division chemistry and physics, I would say that your experience with analytical chemistry instruments and your coursework in o-chem and a-chem should give you a solid foundation for understanding and applying these concepts in a biofuel and renewable energy context. Additionally, your experience with mass spectrometry and metabolomics will be valuable in understanding the chemical processes involved in renewable energy development.

I would recommend reaching out to professors or researchers in the field of biofuel and renewable energy development to get a better understanding of the specific skills and knowledge that are important for this area of research. They may also be able to provide you with advice on how to strengthen your background in chemistry and physics before applying for the SULI program.

In terms of experiences at national labs, I would suggest reaching out to current or former SULI participants or employees at national labs who have a similar background to yours. They can share their experiences and provide insight into what to expect in terms of research projects and the overall environment at the lab.

Overall, my advice would be to continue building on your strong foundation in biochemistry and molecular biology, and to actively seek out opportunities to gain more experience and knowledge in the areas of chemistry and physics that are relevant to renewable energy development. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What is the DOE SULI program?

The DOE SULI (Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships) program is a paid internship program sponsored by the Department of Energy (DOE) that provides undergraduate students with hands-on research experience at national laboratories across the United States.

2. What is the purpose of the DOE SULI Advice for Biology Background - Renewable Energy Development?

The purpose of this advice is to provide biology students with guidance on how to use their background in renewable energy development research during their SULI internship. It includes tips on how to apply their knowledge and skills to projects related to renewable energy development.

3. Who is eligible for the DOE SULI program?

Undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and have completed at least one year of college are eligible to apply for the DOE SULI program. Students must also have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and be enrolled in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) program.

4. How can I apply for the DOE SULI program?

To apply for the DOE SULI program, you must submit an application through the DOE's online application system. The application typically opens in the fall and closes in early January. Applicants must also submit transcripts, two letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

5. What are the benefits of participating in the DOE SULI program?

Participating in the DOE SULI program provides students with valuable research experience, exposure to cutting-edge technology and facilities, and the opportunity to work with top scientists and engineers in their field. It also offers a competitive stipend, housing allowance, and travel reimbursement for participants.