Windows ALT-NUMBERPAD characters

• Thread starter Bandit127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, Using shortcuts on Windows and Mac computers, you can easily insert special ASCII characters into your documents. On a Windows PC, you can use the left hand ALT button and type the corresponding number on the number pad. On a Mac, there are specific key combinations for some characters, such as alt-m for µ and shift-§ for ±. You can also use ALT-codes for extended ASCII characters. These shortcuts can be useful for various purposes, such as hiding files or inserting accented letters.
Bandit127
Gold Member
I thought you might find these useful. (I am amazed how many of my colleagues still type these longhand or have to find the symbol in a menu somewhere).

On a Windows PC, with NUM LOCK on, hold the left hand ALT button and type the number on the number pad.

ALT-230 = µ
ALT-241 = ±
ALT-248 = °

Hopefully more suggestions will follow...

Engineering news on Phys.org
hmm :rolleyes:

on a mac (from the very first mac), alt-m = µ, shift-§ = ±, alt-shift-8 = ° etc :smile:

get a mac ! o:)

tiny-tim said:
hmm :rolleyes:

on a mac (from the very first mac), alt-m = µ, shift-§ = ±, alt-shift-8 = ° etc :smile:

get a mac ! o:)

Excellent riposte.

Being an open minded and tolerant community of intelligent professionals, we will not take this as an excuse to indulge in narrow minded Windows vs Mac vs Linux bashing.

Nope, we will rise above that and celebrate the contributions of shortcuts for any colour of operating system.

...Especially the minorities...

What you've discovered is the shortcut for inserting any ASCII character. You can use this for any of the ASCII characters on this chart, note that the second chart has the shortcuts you listed:

http://www.asciitable.com/

ASCII Table
asciifull.gif

Extended ASCII Characters
extend.gif

There are four digit codes too. ALT-0233 = é. There is a big contiguous block of accented letters and other variations in that general area.

Some others I know
0176 - °
0177 - ±
0178 - ²
0179 - ³

Back in the DOS days, when I didn't want customers (or potential competitors) tinkering with my code, I would name the file with an ending ALT255. The "character" is invisible, but DOS would require it in the file name if you wanted to open, copy, or modify the file. Back before I had access to a decent compiler for dBase applications, I had to leave source code on customer computers, and a little extra security was necessary.

Last edited:

Related to Windows ALT-NUMBERPAD characters

1. What are Windows ALT-NUMBERPAD characters?

Windows ALT-NUMBERPAD characters are special characters that can be typed using the Alt key and a combination of numbers on the number pad of a keyboard. These characters are not found on a standard keyboard and are used for a variety of purposes, such as adding accents to letters or inserting symbols.

2. How do I type ALT-NUMBERPAD characters on Windows?

To type ALT-NUMBERPAD characters on Windows, you need to hold down the Alt key while typing a specific number combination on the number pad. For example, to type the copyright symbol ©, you would hold down Alt and type 0169 on the number pad. The character will appear once you release the Alt key.

3. Can I use ALT-NUMBERPAD characters in any program?

Yes, ALT-NUMBERPAD characters can be used in most programs on Windows, including word processors, web browsers, and graphic design software. However, some programs may have their own keyboard shortcuts for special characters, so it is always best to check the program's documentation for specific instructions.

4. Are there different sets of ALT-NUMBERPAD characters in different languages?

Yes, there are different sets of ALT-NUMBERPAD characters for different languages. For example, the German keyboard has a different set of characters than the French keyboard. It is important to know which keyboard layout you are using and which characters are available on that layout.

5. Is there a limit to how many ALT-NUMBERPAD characters I can use in a document?

No, there is no limit to how many ALT-NUMBERPAD characters you can use in a document. However, it is important to keep in mind that not all fonts may support all ALT-NUMBERPAD characters, so it is possible that some characters may not display correctly. It is always best to test your document on different devices to ensure proper display of all characters.