Will Withdrawals Affect My Chances of Getting into Grad School for Math?

• Thread starter miglo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, the conversation is about a student's upcoming exam in their first semester calculus-based physics class and their considerations about dropping the class if they do poorly. The student is a math major at a community college and has talked to a university representative about withdrawals and admissions. They were told that transferable units and GPA are more important for admissions and that Ws should not be a concern. However, the student is also considering graduate school and is wondering how Ws may affect their chances. The expert suggests that one W does not look bad and that it should not be a concern as long as the student does well on their GREs and has a good overall GPA. The expert also mentions that recommendations are important and that Ws on a community
miglo
im currently taking a 1st semester calc based physics class, basically just mechanics
i have an upcoming exam next friday, and depending on how well i do, I've considered dropping if i do really bad
im a math major at a CC and I've talked to a university representative about withdrawals and admissions
she told me that they only care for transferable units and GPA, since math isn't impacted i shouldn't worry about getting W's
however I am also considering grad school (maybe just a masters degree) in the future, and well my question is how bad do W's look when applying to grad school? do they also look at my CC transcript?

im still going to study hard for my exam to bring my grade up, but if it doesn't work out, i really don't want to lower my GPA

any input is appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
One W doesn't look too bad. I don't see them holding it against you as long as you do well on your GREs and have a good overall GPA. Also, recommendations are a big thing as well... so if you got those, they won't even notice the W.

well i forgot to mention it would be my 4th
the other three are from philosophy, humanities, and english courses, so if i do take another one then itll be from a course that'll be more related to my major
will it still matter a lot even though they arent part of my major?

In my experience, withdrawals on your CC transcript do not matter at all. My CC had the ridiculous policy of giving W for courses that I would drop before the semester even began. One semester I had 4 withdrawals because I changed my schedule around and had to drop all of the classes for which I had signed up. I still took most of them, however, just at different times. Therefore for that semester I have 3 Ws for the same classes for which I have 3 As.

Probably, too much detail... The point is, no, as far as I've seen CC Ws are meaningless. University Ws are a different story.

I cannot provide specific advice for your individual situation. However, I can provide some general information that may help you make a decision.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the admissions process for graduate school can vary greatly between different institutions and programs. Some may place more emphasis on your grades and academic record, while others may also consider your experience, research, and letters of recommendation.

In general, having a high GPA and a strong academic record is important for admission to graduate school in math. Withdrawals may not necessarily harm your chances, but they may raise questions about your academic commitment and ability to handle a rigorous course load. This is why it is important to consider the reasons for withdrawing and to provide an explanation in your application if necessary.

Additionally, while some graduate programs may only consider your GPA from your undergraduate institution, others may also request transcripts from any previous institutions you attended. So, if you do withdraw from a course at your community college, it is possible that this may be taken into account during the admissions process.

Ultimately, the best course of action would be to speak with admissions counselors at the specific graduate programs you are interested in to understand their specific criteria and how withdrawals may be viewed. It may also be helpful to speak with your academic advisor or professors for their advice and guidance.

In any case, it is important to remember that one withdrawal will not make or break your chances of getting into graduate school. Focus on doing your best in your remaining courses and building a strong academic record, and provide explanations for any withdrawals in your application if necessary. Good luck!

Related to Will Withdrawals Affect My Chances of Getting into Grad School for Math?

1. Can I withdraw from a class at any time during the semester?

This depends on the policies of your specific university or college. Generally, there is a specific deadline for withdrawing from a class without penalty. After that deadline, you may still be able to withdraw, but it may affect your GPA or financial aid. It is important to check with your academic advisor or registrar's office for specific guidelines.

2. Will withdrawing from a class affect my GPA?

Again, this varies depending on your institution. In some cases, withdrawing from a class will not affect your GPA. However, if you withdraw after a certain date, it may result in a "W" on your transcript, which could potentially lower your GPA. It is best to check with your academic advisor for specific information on how withdrawing from a class will impact your GPA.

3. How many classes can I withdraw from in one semester?

This also varies by university, but most institutions have a limit on the number of classes you can withdraw from in one semester. This is to ensure that students are making progress towards their degree and not simply dropping classes without a valid reason. Typically, the limit is between one to three classes per semester.

4. Will withdrawing from a class affect my financial aid?

Withdrawing from a class can potentially affect your financial aid if it drops you below the required number of credit hours to maintain your aid. It is important to check with your financial aid office to see how withdrawing from a class may impact your aid package. In some cases, you may be required to pay back a portion of your aid if you withdraw.

5. Can I withdraw from a class and still receive credit for it?

In most cases, withdrawing from a class means that you will not receive credit for it. However, some universities have a "W" or withdrawal grade, which means that you will still receive credit for the class but it will not affect your GPA. It is important to check with your institution to see if this option is available and what the process is for receiving a "W".