Will Star Trek Teleportation ever be possible?

In summary: Kirk was also doubled by the transporter in "The Enemy Within". That wouldn't work with the same matter.
TheQuestionGuy14
Will teleportation, like in Star Trek or many sci-fi movies, where people disappear with a puff of smoke, ever be possible in the real world. Will we ever be able to build something that can do this, and what would it be like?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheQuestionGuy14 said:
Will teleportation, like in Star Trek or many sci-fi movies, where people disappear with a puff of smoke, ever be possible in the real world. Will we ever be able to build something that can do this, and what would it be like?
no, not according to currently understood physics.

Likes Rubidium_71 and Evo
No.
Teleporters come in either mass energy conversion types or wormholes.
The Star Trek teleporters are the former type, and would violate the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.
The latter, would require being able to control gravity and negative matter.

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
The year is 1500. Person A asks, "Will ocean travel ever get to the point where we can cross the Atlantic in less than three months?" Person B replies, "Of course not, it's physically impossible to create a sail big enough to gather the necessary amount of wind."

Likes YoungPhysicist and Yemmy
No, not for me, the teleporter would obliterate me and create a copy somewhere else.

Likes Rubidium_71
cobalt124 said:
No, not for me, the teleporter would obliterate me and create a copy somewhere else.
No, that's not how the Star Trek teleportation works. It uses magic to transport, not replicate.

Likes YoungPhysicist
cobalt124 said:
the teleporter would obliterate me and create a copy somewhere else.

This was solved in the Dark Matter universe, where FTL travel is accomplished by sending ones DNA code FTL to the body printer that makes a copy, the copy does stuff, returns to the body printer, is dissolved and its delta-memories are put back in ones mind at FTL speeds. The copy is ok to return to the printer for being rendered into memories (as best I can figure anyway, this part is a bit weak imo) is because they know they are unstable and will dissolve in 2-3 days in any case. The aspect of the copies not feeling any sense if individual self-worth is not really examined in the series, its sort of axiomatic that they don't mind if they die.

phinds said:
No, that's not how the Star Trek teleportation works. It uses magic to transport, not replicate.

As with all things Star Trek different writers treat the setting differently. When it comes to the transporter it definitively moves the same matter...until it doesn't.

Ryan_m_b said:
As with all things Star Trek different writers treat the setting differently. When it comes to the transporter it definitively moves the same matter...until it doesn't.

Well, I stopped watching after the original series so was not aware of that. I've seen the recent movies and they do it the same way as the original series.

phinds said:

Don't trust the magic either. Look what happened to Harry Potter because he couldn't pronounce Diagon Alley.

cobalt124 said:
The teleporter in the movie "The Prestige", made copies of the original, without obliteration.

rcgldr said:
The teleporter in the movie "The Prestige", made copies of the original, without obliteration.

That wouldn't be a problem as long as I didn't meet myself.

phinds said:
Well, I stopped watching after the original series so was not aware of that.

Kirk was also doubled by the transporter in "The Enemy Within". That wouldn't work with the same matter.

Related to Will Star Trek Teleportation ever be possible?

1. Will Star Trek teleportation ever be possible?

Currently, the technology for teleportation as seen in Star Trek does not exist. However, scientists are continuously researching and developing new technologies that could potentially make teleportation a reality in the future.

2. How does teleportation in Star Trek work?

In Star Trek, teleportation is achieved through a device called a "transporter" which breaks down a person's physical molecules and reassembles them at a different location. This is currently not possible with our current understanding of physics.

3. Can teleportation be used for long distances?

In theory, teleportation could potentially be used for long distances. However, it would require an immense amount of energy and precise control over the movement of particles. At this time, we do not have the technology to achieve this.

4. Is teleportation safe?

The safety of teleportation is still unknown as it is currently not possible. However, in Star Trek, teleportation is portrayed as a safe and routine method of transportation. It would likely require extensive testing and regulation before being deemed safe for human use.

5. When do scientists think teleportation will become a reality?

It is difficult to predict when, or if, teleportation will become a reality. There is currently no consensus among scientists on when this technology may be achieved. It is a complex and challenging area of research that will likely require many more years of development.