Warp Drive = Artificial Gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a warp drive-like technology to create artificial gravity in science-fiction stories. This would involve manipulating space-time to create a gravity well, similar to how a warp drive works. However, there are potential complications and limitations to consider, such as the need for negative energy densities and the effects on maneuvering and nearby objects. The concept could also potentially be applied to colonial habitats on low-gravity planets, but further considerations would need to be taken into account.
Deleted member 690984
I had a bit of a brainwave regarding artificial gravity (outside of rotation or linear acceleration). As we know "gravity plating" is just a plot device to allow sci-fi films and shows to escape the pain of having to accurately recreate a zero-g environment. But then I thought: gravity is a deformation, a warping, of space-time, and something like the Alcubierre drive works the same way, it warps space-time.

Purely for the purposes of science-fiction but keeping it somewhat grounded in the realm of reality, could the same principle be used to create artificial gravity? I'm thinking for something like this to be believable, it would have to be an underslung generator if your craft is more traditionally-shaped, or shaped like the ships in something like Star Trek or Star Wars; or at the bottom of the craft if you go with a design like they have in The Expanse, where the vessels are basically skyscrapers in space.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Artificial gravity is created by creating an acceleration felt by the observer. It a rocket ship that is accelerating at 1 g or more preferred a ring that revolves at a certain rotational speed that you can stand in Allowing the spaceship to travel at any constant speed.

Warp speed refers to a means to travel faster than light which in our current understanding is not possible.

The movie 2001 A Space Odyssey had a scene with a rotating ring where astronauts worked and exercised.

Other Sci-fi tropes include the use of magnetic boots that keep you from floating freely but isn’t really artificial gravity.

Postulating gravity plating as a means to provide artificial gravity is possible but you’ll need to consider its pros and cons like maybe in the presence of a gravitational field it begins to act wonky or maybe it affects the ships propulsion when near a gravitational field like a magnet attracts or repels another magnet. These pros and cons can be written into your story in interesting ways.

jedishrfu said:
Artificial gravity is created by creating an acceleration felt by the observer. It a rocket ship that is accelerating at 1 g or more preferred a ring that revolves at a certain rotational speed that you can stand in Allowing the spaceship to travel at any constant speed.

Warp speed refers to a means to travel faster than light which in our current understanding is not possible.

The movie 2001 A Space Odyssey had a scene with a rotating ring where astronauts worked and exercised.

Other Sci-fi tropes include the use of magnetic boots that keep you from floating freely but isn’t really artificial gravity.

Postulating gravity plating as a means to provide artificial gravity is possible but you’ll need to consider its pros and cons like maybe in the presence of a gravitational field it begins to act wonky or maybe it affects the ships propulsion when near a gravitational field like a magnet attracts or repels another magnet. These pros and cons can be written into your story in interesting ways.

Thank you for your reply, but that's not what I was asking. I was asking since warp drive and gravity both work in very similar ways (by warping space-time), would it be believable for a science-fiction story to have a gravity generator behave in a similar way, i.e. by warping the local space-time around the ship and creating a gravity well.

The problem with warp drives is that they require negative energy densities which may or may not be nonsense.

If you've got one in your story, though, I'd put positive energy density generators in the floor and negative energy density generators in the ceiling. Then you could argue that you've got a total energy density (and hence mass density) of zero, so it doesn't affect manoeuvring, and the plate pairs form a dipole, which has a short ranged field and explains why your ship's gravity doesn't pull passing asteroids out of orbit.

That's still nonsense for various reasons, but maybe plausible sounding nonsense.

Likes Deleted member 690984, hmmm27 and jedishrfu
Ibix said:
The problem with warp drives is that they require negative energy densities which may or may not be nonsense.

If you've got one in your story, though, I'd put positive energy density generators in the floor and negative energy density generators in the ceiling. Then you could argue that you've got a total energy density (and hence mass density) of zero, so it doesn't affect manoeuvring, and the plate pairs form a dipole, which has a short ranged field and explains why your ship's gravity doesn't pull passing asteroids out of orbit.

That's still nonsense for various reasons, but maybe plausible sounding nonsense.
Perfect! Thank you.

Would this concept be applicable for colonial habitats? I'm thinking if a colony was constructed on the surface of, say, Mimas, which has a surface gravity of 0.00648gs, would this concept affect the geology of whatever the colony is built upon, or would the same principle apply regarding the short-ranged field?

I don't think running it on a planet is any less realistic than the device itself.

What is warp drive?

Warp drive is a theoretical propulsion system that would allow a spacecraft to travel faster than the speed of light by warping the fabric of space-time around it.

How does warp drive create artificial gravity?

Warp drive creates artificial gravity by bending the space-time fabric around the spacecraft, causing it to accelerate forward. This acceleration would create a force similar to gravity within the spacecraft.

Is warp drive possible?

Currently, warp drive is only a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be possible. However, some scientists believe that it may be possible in the future with advanced technology and understanding of physics.

What are the potential benefits of warp drive?

If warp drive were to become a reality, it would revolutionize space travel by allowing us to reach distant planets and galaxies in a much shorter amount of time. It could also potentially open up new opportunities for space exploration and colonization.

What are the potential challenges of developing warp drive?

One of the main challenges of developing warp drive is the immense amount of energy that would be required to warp space-time. Additionally, the effects of warp drive on the space-time fabric and the potential consequences of altering it are still unknown.