Will my GPA prevent me from getting into grad school?

In summary, if your GPA is lower than you would like it to be, but you have good recommendations and professors who want you to apply, you have a good shot at getting into your current school's grad school. However, if your GPA is lower than you would like it to be, and you don't have good recommendations or professors who want you to apply, you may have a harder time getting into a grad school.
sweetpotato
Looking at some of the older threads, I've gotten the message that with my major gpa of 2.8 (in electrical engineering) and overall gpa of 3.12 I don't have a good shot at getting into grad school. However, a few professors that I have taken classes from and done research for are encouraging me to apply. So I was just wondering-- am I likely to be rejected by all grad schools, even the "bad" ones? I don't care too much about what grad school I get into, I just want to get into one. I know I don't have a chance at the prestigious or even middle-range grad schools.

Edit: I've told these professors my gpa so they see the whole picture

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a good shot of getting into your current school's grad school if any of these professors want to take you on as a student and you have a have decent shot if any of your recommenders have a great reputation in the field/are well known by someone at one of the schools you're applying to.

Also, masters programs are far easier to get into.

If your profs are encouraging you to apply, and you want to go to grad school, then apply man!

sweetpotato said:
However, a few professors that I have taken classes from and done research for are encouraging me to apply. So I was just wondering-- am I likely to be rejected by all grad schools, even the "bad" ones?

If you have professors that want you to apply and you can get good recommendation letters from them, then that will make up somewhat for a bad GPA.

There really aren't any 'bad' grad schools - they are what you make of them. I've attended two unranked (rank > 100) grad schools in physics, and people from those schools have gotten jobs/postdocs at Harvard, other top schools, large national labs, NASA, faculty jobs right out of grad school, etc. Rankings are very much related to how many PhDs you graduate a year, so a small program may be low-ranked by have some great faculty members and opportunities. In fact, because my current grad program doesn't have a ton of it's own resources, we've been working with collaborations at Berkeley, a few national labs, NIST, Max Planck, and many more top programs to get the resources we need. Just because a school might be easier to get into than a top program doesn't mean you can't do very well there.

if your professors are encouraging you to apply despite your lackluster GPA, go for it! sounds like a very good recommendation in my book... (also, you want to go to graduate school, right?)

and talk to your professors about which schools are on your level and what not.

Related to Will my GPA prevent me from getting into grad school?

1. What is a good GPA for grad school?

A good GPA for grad school typically falls in the range of 3.5-4.0. However, this may vary depending on the program and university. It is always best to research the specific requirements of the graduate programs you are interested in.

2. How important is GPA for grad school admissions?

GPA is an important factor in grad school admissions, but it is not the only factor. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as letters of recommendation, personal statements, research experience, and test scores. A high GPA can help strengthen your application, but it is not the sole determinant of admission.

3. Will my undergraduate GPA affect my chances of getting into grad school?

Yes, your undergraduate GPA will play a role in your grad school admissions. However, it is not the only factor considered. Some programs may also consider your GPA in your major or in specific prerequisite courses for the graduate program.

4. Can I still get into grad school if my GPA is below the recommended range?

Yes, it is possible to get into grad school with a lower GPA. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as work experience, research experience, and personal statements. You can also consider retaking courses or taking additional courses to improve your GPA.

5. How can I explain a low GPA in my grad school application?

If you have a low GPA, it is important to address it in your application. You can explain any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your academic performance, such as personal or health issues. You can also highlight any improvements in your grades or success in challenging courses. It is also helpful to provide context for your GPA by comparing it to the average GPA of students admitted to your desired graduate program.