Will I still be able to find a job as an engineer?

In summary, the individual is a 21-year-old college student studying computer science. They were arrested and charged with a misdemeanor a year ago, but the charge was dismissed and their record was expunged. They are concerned about their ability to get a job as an engineer, given their past arrest. It is recommended to consult with a lawyer to ensure the expungement was successful and to understand any relevant laws in the state where the individual lives.
Connor
I'm 21 years old and going to college for computer science. A year ago I got arrested and charged with a misdemeanor. To make a long story short when I went to court I was never convicted and the charge was dismissed and my record got expunged. I'm not looking to get a job at companies like Google, Microsoft, Adobe, etc. since I'm not at a target school, but I was wondering will I be able to get a job as an engineer?

Physics news on Phys.org
With respect to the expungement and your question it's best to contact a lawyer as any advice given here may not apply to your situation and may not be valid where you live.

Also in this current age of the internet and the lack of effective privacy laws even though it's expunged someone may be able to dig it up.

The Wikipedia article talks about it in more detail but you should check with a lawyer about it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expungement

Last edited:
Connor said:
I'm 21 years old and going to college for computer science. A year ago I got arrested and charged with a misdemeanor. To make a long story short when I went to court I was never convicted and the charge was dismissed and my record got expunged.
Many companies will ask if you've ever been convicted of certain crimes.

Depending on where you are, some states have laws that limit what companies can ask about arrest or conviction records. I did a quick search and found this site (http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/state-laws-use-arrests-convictions-employment.html), which has a list of states and the laws in effect.
In addition, many state laws provide some protections for applicants with a criminal past. Some states prohibit employers from asking about arrest records, at least if the arrest is no longer pending. Some states allow employers to ask about convictions only if they relate directly to the job, or require employers who consider convictions to take particular facts into account, such as how serious the crime was and whether the applicant has participated in any rehabilitation efforts. To find out whether your state has a law regarding employer use of arrest and conviction records, select it from the list below.

Likes jedishrfu
Get a lawyer to check to see if it really was expunged, a friend of my daughter's juvenile record was supposed to be expunged since the charges were dropped and never went to court and found out years later it wasn't. ALWAYS follow up. NEVER assume. In some states you can look up your record yourself, but it's probably best to have a lawyer, something like this probably doesn't cost much and is well worth the assurance.

Likes jedishrfu

Related to Will I still be able to find a job as an engineer?

1. Will the demand for engineers decrease in the future?

It is unlikely that the demand for engineers will decrease significantly in the future. With advancements in technology and infrastructure, there will continue to be a need for engineers to design, build, and maintain these systems.

2. How important is having a degree in engineering for job prospects?

Holding a degree in engineering is highly valued by employers and can greatly improve job prospects. However, hands-on experience and specific skills are also important factors in securing a job as an engineer.

3. Are there any specific engineering fields that are currently in high demand?

The demand for engineers varies depending on the industry and location. However, fields such as computer engineering, environmental engineering, and biomedical engineering are currently experiencing growth and may have more job opportunities.

4. Will I still be able to find a job as an engineer if I have a non-engineering degree?

Having a non-engineering degree does not necessarily disqualify you from becoming an engineer. Many companies value diverse backgrounds and skills, and you may be able to find a job in engineering with additional training or certifications.

5. How can I stay competitive in the job market as an engineer?

To stay competitive in the job market as an engineer, it is important to continuously update your skills and knowledge through professional development opportunities. Networking, gaining experience through internships or projects, and staying up-to-date with industry advancements can also help improve job prospects.