Is it possible for me to become an engineer?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter RolloofTheNorm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the individual is currently attending junior college with the intention of majoring in mechanical or electrical engineering. However, they are concerned about their chances of becoming an engineer due to a past misdemeanor that was expunged and did not result in prosecution or conviction. It is unlikely that this will affect their chances, unless they are seeking a job that requires a security clearance and the misdemeanor is more serious than a traffic infraction. Overall, it is advised to avoid any further legal trouble.
RolloofTheNorm
I'm currently at a junior college and want to major in mechanical or electrical engineering. The issue is that I got arrested for a misdemeanor a couple of years ago. Even though it I didn't get prosecuted nor convicted and I got it expunged does it affect my chances of being an engineer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

No, it shouldn't have any effect on your chances of becoming an engineer unless you want to get a job that requires a security clearance. Very few jobs would phrase their character question in a way that would require you to answer "yes". Most ask if you have been convicted of a crime more serious than a traffic infraction or misdemeanor.

Even when it comes to jobs requiring a security clearance it's usually felony crimes they care about. And you're saying you weren't convicted of a misdemeanor? Yeah, pretty sure you have nothing to worry about. Just don't get in trouble anymore.

Related to Is it possible for me to become an engineer?

1. Can I become an engineer without a degree in engineering?

It is possible to become an engineer without a degree in engineering, but it is not common. Many engineering positions require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in engineering or a closely related field. However, there are alternative paths to becoming an engineer such as completing a certification program or obtaining relevant work experience.

2. What skills do I need to become an engineer?

Some important skills for becoming an engineer include strong math and science abilities, problem-solving skills, critical thinking skills, and attention to detail. Additionally, communication skills, teamwork, and the ability to work under pressure are also important for success in the field of engineering.

3. Is it possible to become an engineer later in life?

Yes, it is possible to become an engineer at any age. Many individuals choose to pursue a career in engineering after gaining work experience in a different field or after completing a degree in a different subject. It may require additional education and training, but it is never too late to start a career in engineering.

4. What is the job outlook for engineers?

The job outlook for engineers varies depending on the specific field of engineering. Overall, the demand for engineers is expected to grow in the coming years due to advancements in technology and the need for sustainable solutions. It is important to research the specific field of engineering you are interested in to determine the job outlook.

5. Can I specialize in a specific type of engineering?

Yes, there are many different types of engineering to specialize in, such as mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering, among others. It is important to research the different fields and their specific requirements to determine which type of engineering is the best fit for your interests and skills.