Will a metal rod keep moving if given a slight nudge in a magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a metal rod in a region of magnetic field. There is a question of whether the rod will continue to move indefinitely, and various factors such as conservation of energy, orientation, and the type of magnetic material are considered. It is concluded that the rod will eventually come to a stop due to the induced field and the Lorentz force. A visual illustration is also provided for clarification.
serverxeon
imagine a metal rod floating in a region of magnetic field. You give the rod a slight nudge. Will the rod continue to go forever?

Considering conservation of energy i think it wouldn't. But i can't come to terms with any reasonable reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the rod is perpendicular to the magnetic field and the "push" vector is perpendicular to both the rod and the field. The Lorentz force tells us that the rods movement will cause the rod to have a slight imbalance of charge along the rod. But after the push the rod should continue in motion at constant velocity? There are other orientations of the rod and the push that also have to be considered.

Sorry to mention, I'm referring to perpendicular cases only.

Will the rod remain in motion? What about the potential difference across the two ends? Will it even out over time?

Hi,
Sorry to intrude, but is your rod a ferromagnet? Or does it carry charge?
Is the external field created unitary in space?
Can you provide some sort of sketch for clarity?
Thanks,
Daniel

I don't have a computer with me these few days, so i can't get a drawing out. But here's the best i can do.

[PLAIN]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9687/magqj.png

The system is similar to this, except ignore the black lines. Only the rod exist.

And, to one of the question, if the magnetic field is uniform, i guess being whichever type of magnetic material won't make a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, now that you've provided this illustration, I get your point at last;
You're it, its being ferromagnetic won't change anything as long as its perpendicular.
So we're to assume that it's traveling on this railing you've presented, and you're asking what is to happen to it once you apply a minor velocity to it.
Sadly, there are no pleasantry effects, here, as the induced field in the rod will cause it to slow down. Once its velocity reaches zero, the effective force becomes zero(Lorentz's force, q(vXB) and it stops, without giving you "much of a bang", this is unlike a spring, where you would osscilatory motion to the dependence of the force solely on the displacement; In this case, where the velocity is involved, it's a totaly different matter.
Daniel

Related to Will a metal rod keep moving if given a slight nudge in a magnetic field?

1. How does pushing a rod in a magnetic field create a current?

When a rod is pushed through a magnetic field, the changing magnetic field induces a current in the rod due to Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. This is because the moving magnetic field causes the electrons in the rod to move, creating a flow of electric charge or current.

2. Will the direction of the current change if the rod is pushed in the opposite direction?

Yes, the direction of the current will change if the rod is pushed in the opposite direction. This is because the direction of the induced current is always perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field and the motion of the rod.

3. How strong of a magnetic field is needed to create a significant current in the rod?

The strength of the magnetic field needed to create a significant current in the rod depends on factors such as the length and material of the rod, as well as the speed at which it is pushed through the field. In general, a stronger magnetic field will result in a stronger induced current.

4. Can pushing a rod in a magnetic field generate electricity?

Yes, pushing a rod in a magnetic field can generate electricity. This is because the induced current in the rod can be harnessed and used as a source of electrical energy. This is the principle behind generators and many other electromechanical devices.

5. How does the length of the rod affect the induced current when pushed in a magnetic field?

The length of the rod does not directly affect the induced current when pushed in a magnetic field. However, a longer rod will experience a larger change in magnetic flux over its length, which can result in a stronger induced current. This is why longer rods are often used in generators to produce higher currents.