Why there is not ring homomorphism between these rings?

In summary, to prove that there is no ring homomorphism between M2(R) and R2, we must show that there is no function that satisfies the properties of a ring homomorphism. This can be done by assuming the existence of such a function and showing that it leads to a contradiction. We can do this by showing that f(AB) is not equal to f(BA) for some matrices A and B, and using this to show that the function is not injective. Additionally, we can show that the function is not surjective by finding more matrices that map to 0.
wadd

Homework Statement

Proof that there is no ring homomorphism between M2(R) [2x2 matrices with real elements] and R2 (normal 2-dimensional real plane).

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to proof this problem with properties of ring homomorphism (or finding such a property of ring homomorphism that doesn't fill in this situation. I have tried nilpotents, inverse elements, etc.)

This would be easy one if those two rings were integral domains. In general speaking, how to proof that there does not exist any ring homomorphism between two rings when the rings aren't integral domains?

Thanks folks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll guess M_2(R) has the usual ring structure, but what is your multiplication definition for R^2? And what properties is your homomorphism supposed to have? There's always the zero homomorphism.

Multiplication in R^2 is defined here: (a, b)*(c, d) = (ac, bd). The homework does not specify properties of homomorphism. The assingment of the homework says also that this can be done without long calculations.

If I got it right, I have understood that there is zero homomorphism f: R->S only if S is zero ring (because of condition f(1R)=1S).

Multiplication in R^2 is defined here: (a, b)*(c, d) = (ac, bd). The homework does not specify properties of homomorphism. The assingment of the homework says also that this can be done without long calculations.

If I got it right, I have understood that there is zero homomorphism f: R->S only if S is zero ring (because of condition f(1R)=1S).

wadd said:

You are right. I was thinking of groups. Assuming multiplication in M_2(R) is matrix multiplication, that is not commutative. Multiplication as you've defined it in R^2 is. Wouldn't that pose a problem for constructing a homomorphism?

Dick said:
You are right. I was thinking of groups. Assuming multiplication in M_2(R) is matrix multiplication, that is not commutative. Multiplication as you've defined it in R^2 is. Wouldn't that pose a problem for constructing a homomorphism?

I did actually think of this, but abandoned because of some brainfart :) If I understood correctly, all I need to do is assume first that there is ring homomomorphism, let it to be f: M2 -> R2. Then f(AB)=f(A)*f(B)=f(B)*f(A)=f(BA), but AB=BA is not universaly true (when A and B are matrices).

Is this enough, or do I need to show something more? Is it trivial that f(AB) is different than f(BA), when f is ring homomorphism. I'm not very good algebra, so I can't see it.

wadd said:
I did actually think of this, but abandoned because of some brainfart :) If I understood correctly, all I need to do is assume first that there is ring homomomorphism, let it to be f: M2 -> R2. Then f(AB)=f(A)*f(B)=f(B)*f(A)=f(BA), but AB=BA is not universaly true (when A and B are matrices).

You would actually need to provide such an example of matrices A and B such that f(AB) is not the same as f(BA). Only then is your proof complete.

wadd said:

Is this enough, or do I need to show something more? Is it trivial that f(AB) is different than f(BA), when f is ring homomorphism. I'm not very good algebra, so I can't see it.

No, it's not automatic that f(AB) is different from f(BA). I think you have to use that f(AB)=f(BA) to draw some conclusions about the homomorphism. Take for example A=[[0,1],[0,0]] and B=[[0,0],[0,1]]. Then AB=A and BA=0. That tells you f(A)=0. That's a start. I haven't actually thought this all the way through. See what you can come up with.

Dick said:
No, it's not automatic that f(AB) is different from f(BA). I think you have to use that f(AB)=f(BA) to draw some conclusions about the homomorphism. Take for example A=[[0,1],[0,0]] and B=[[0,0],[0,1]]. Then AB=A and BA=0. That tells you f(A)=0. That's a start. I haven't actually thought this all the way through. See what you can come up with.

OK. Since f(A)=0 and A is not zero matrix, then Ker(f) has other elements than 0, so our homomorphism can't be injective.

So our f can be only surjective now, and I should proof that Im(f) isn't R2. But I haven't any clue how to do that, again.

wadd said:
OK. Since f(A)=0 and A is not zero matrix, then Ker(f) has other elements than 0, so our homomorphism can't be injective.

So our f can be only surjective now, and I should proof that Im(f) isn't R2. But I haven't any clue how to do that, again.

I would try to show f(x)=0 for any x in M2(R). You've already got f([[0,1],[0,0]])=0. Find some more matrices that map to 0.

Related to Why there is not ring homomorphism between these rings?

1. Why can't there be a ring homomorphism between these rings?

The existence of a ring homomorphism between two rings depends on their structural properties. If the rings have different characteristics, or if one ring contains elements that are not present in the other, then a ring homomorphism cannot be defined.

2. What are the necessary conditions for a ring homomorphism to exist?

For a ring homomorphism to exist, the two rings must have the same characteristic, and the function must preserve the ring's algebraic structure. This means that the function must preserve the ring's operations of addition, multiplication, and distributivity.

3. Can there be a ring homomorphism between two rings with different characteristics?

No, a ring homomorphism cannot exist between two rings with different characteristics. This is because the characteristic of a ring determines the number of times an element must be added to itself to get the identity element. If the rings have different characteristics, their algebraic structures are fundamentally different and cannot be preserved by a ring homomorphism.

4. Why is it important for a ring homomorphism to preserve the ring's algebraic structure?

The purpose of a ring homomorphism is to establish a relationship between two rings. By preserving the algebraic structure, the function ensures that the properties of one ring are reflected in the other. This allows for a deeper understanding of the structures and their properties.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that there can't be a ring homomorphism between these rings?

No, the conditions for a ring homomorphism are necessary for its existence. If these conditions are not met, a ring homomorphism cannot be defined. However, there may be other types of mappings, such as group homomorphisms, that can exist between these rings.