Property of a ring homomorphism

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that for a ring homomorphism f from reals to rationals, f(x) must equal 0 for all x in the reals. This is done through a proof by contradiction, where it is assumed that there exists some a in the reals such that f(a) does not equal 0. However, using properties of homomorphisms, it is shown that this leads to a contradiction and therefore, f(x) must equal 0 for all x in the reals.
Geekster

Homework Statement

Suppose that f:R->Q (reals to rationals) is a ring homomorphism. Prove that f(x)=0 for every x in the reals.

Homework Equations

Homomorphisms map the zero element to the zero element.
f(0) = 0
Homomorphisms preserve additive inverses.
f(-a)=-f(a)

and finally,
f(a - b) = f(a) - f(b)

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is go with contradiction and say, Suppose that f(a != 0) != 0 for some a in the reals.

But I don't see where to go from there. A hint or suggestion would be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have an answer, let me know if you think my proof is ok.

Suppose there exists some a in the reals such that f(a)!=0. Then f(1*a)=f(1)*f(a)=f(a).
So f(1) must be the identity in Q. But that allows us to get numbers like 2 since f(1+1)=f(1)+f(1)=2. But then we have 2=f(2)=f(sqrt(2)*sqrt(2))=f(sqrt(2))*f(sqrt(2)),
and we know that there is no rational who's square is 2, hence our assumption that there exist some a in the reals such that f(a)!=0 is false.

Therefore, f(x)=0 for all x in the reals.

Let me know if there is anything wrong with the proof.

Thanks

Related to Property of a ring homomorphism

1. What is a ring homomorphism?

A ring homomorphism is a function between two rings that preserves the ring structure. This means that the function preserves the operations of addition and multiplication in the rings.

2. What is the property of a ring homomorphism?

The property of a ring homomorphism is that it maps the identity element of one ring to the identity element of the other ring. This means that the function maps the element 0 in the first ring to the element 0 in the second ring, and the element 1 in the first ring to the element 1 in the second ring.

3. How does a ring homomorphism preserve addition?

A ring homomorphism preserves addition by mapping the sum of two elements in the first ring to the sum of their images in the second ring. In other words, if a and b are elements in the first ring, the homomorphism will map a + b to f(a) + f(b) in the second ring.

4. How does a ring homomorphism preserve multiplication?

A ring homomorphism preserves multiplication by mapping the product of two elements in the first ring to the product of their images in the second ring. In other words, if a and b are elements in the first ring, the homomorphism will map a * b to f(a) * f(b) in the second ring.

5. What are some examples of ring homomorphisms?

Some examples of ring homomorphisms include the identity map, which maps every element in a ring to itself, and the zero map, which maps every element in a ring to the zero element. Other examples include the inclusion map, which maps a subring to its super ring, and the quotient map, which maps a ring to its quotient ring.