Why the same company has different salaries

• Thread starter Grands
  • Start date
  • Tags
    company
In summary: What you are talking about is exactly the capitalistic system of the US. They attract more and better workers with higher payment and conditions than in other countries. Welcome to...
Grands
Here I have an example of a company that have different salaries in different countries.
It's an italian company and it is called Intesa SanPaolo, its' a bank.

Here are the salaries in Italy https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/In...laries-EI_IE10537.0,15_IL.16,21_IN120_IP3.htm

Here are the salaries in US https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Intesa-Sanpaolo-Salaries-E10537.htm

Why the US salaries are three time bigger the italian ones, while the company it's italian?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think they will find anyone in US ready to work for the Italian pay?

Likes ISamson
Borek said:
Do you think they will find anyone in US ready to work for the Italian pay?
Why the US pretend more high salaries ?

Grands said:
The US or whoever is in charge of the companies in US are not pretending anything. Salaries are decided or determined by what can be paid to obtain the people into the positions needed.

Likes russ_watters
There is a whole science describing how and why it works this way, it is called economics.

Likes phinds, ISamson, PeroK and 1 other person
Grands said:
symbolipoint said:
The US or whoever is in charge of the companies in US are not pretending anything. Salaries are decided or determined by what can be paid to obtain the people into the positions needed.
Borek said:
There is a whole science describing how and why it works this way, it is called economics.

You mentioned, "banks".
You find at least a couple kinds of personnel in a bank. One is a teller, who receives your money or who gives you some of your money. The teller is paid a salary (or maybe just wages). Another is an investment person/consultant/representative, who tries to convince you, and sometimes succeeds, to invest some of your credit so that you (hopefully) receive significant interest income by your investment. This investment person/consultant/representative earns (if he is good at what he does) a larger salary than the teller.

Likes scottdave
symbolipoint said:
You mentioned, "banks".
You find at least a couple kinds of personnel in a bank. One is a teller, who receives your money or who gives you some of your money. The teller is paid a salary (or maybe just wages). Another is an investment person/consultant/representative, who tries to convince you, and sometimes succeeds, to invest some of your credit so that you (hopefully) receive significant interest income by your investment. This investment person/consultant/representative earns (if he is good at what he does) a larger salary than the teller.
I know but this is not the point, an american teller is paid more then an intalian one working in the same company, same for the consultant.

Likes ISamson
And I told you there is whole science devoted to explaining why that happens. Please try to find some resources explaining basic terms and mechanisms (any Economy 101 textbook should do).

Likes ISamson
Borek said:
And I told you there is whole science devoted to explaining why that happens. Please try to find some resources explaining basic terms and mechanisms (any Economy 101 textbook should do).
Do I have now to get a major in Economics to answer this question?

No, but a bit of effort won't hurt.

You don't have to compare salaries in US with salaries in Italy, it is probably perfectly enough to compare prices/salaries between southern and northern Italy to see exactly the same mechanisms at work.

Prices?
A car cost or a mobile phone, or medical insurance cost the same, even if you are in south or north Italy

What about hairdresser? Does the waiter earn the same in Mediolan and in Brindisi? Do the grapes cost the same?

Borek said:
What about hairdresser? Does the waiter earn the same in Mediolan and in Brindisi? Do the grapes cost the same?
Due to the fact that supermarket are the same, have same prices and same salaries, maybe is different if someone buy the grapes from flea market.

Teachers have the same salary, doctors have the same salary, people that work in town hall have the same salary etc..

Borek said:
No, but a bit of effort won't hurt.

You don't have to compare salaries in US with salaries in Italy, it is probably perfectly enough to compare prices/salaries between southern and northern Italy to see exactly the same mechanisms at work.
Different country, different system, and correspondingly different way to assign salaries.

So, if a person what to have a high salary have to come in the US?

symbolipoint said:
Salaries are decided or determined by what can be paid to obtain the people into the positions needed.
@Grands , did you see this response? Can you think of why this would apply to salaries, but not the cost of products?

Anyway, I agree with others that you really should take a basic course in economics or buy and read an economics book.

Likes Grands
Grands said:
So, if a person what to have a high salary have to come in the US?

What you are talking about is exactly the capitalistic system of the US. They attract more and better workers with higher payment and conditions than in other countries. Welcome to the economical side of Earth.

Likes scottdave, symbolipoint and Grands
russ_watters said:
Can you think of why this would apply to salaries, but not the cost of products?
@russ_watters Do you want to say that cost of the life is different?

Grands said:
Do you want to say that cost of the life is different?
It is referred to as "cost of living", but there is more to it than that: there is also supply and demand.

Likes ISamson
russ_watters said:
Anyway, I agree with others that you really should take a basic course in economics or buy and read an economics book.

I think an evening of good research and talking with your (@Grands) father should answer most of your questions.
Buying a book is too much.

Likes russ_watters
russ_watters said:
supply and demand.

Yes. I like this.

Grands said:
@russ_watters Do you want to say that cost of the life is different?
Let us hope that one day you will find an introductory economics book and study it. Some things about the buying and selling of goods and services will make better sense for you.

russ_watters said:
supply and demand.
This mean that in Italy there are a lots of people that can do the same job ?

@russ_watters I think I get it, it's because US produce more then Italy and sell more things?

Grands said:
This mean that in Italy there are a lots of people that can do the same job ?
Thread or topic title: Why the same company have different salaries

Different people, personnel, different job positions, different sets of duties, what the company can afford to attract and keep the employee.
Different Administrative Governing Region? Different rules or laws about salaries.

Beside these brief comments, the questioning in the last few posts resembles, ..., bot.

Likes ISamson
symbolipoint said:
Thread or topic title: Why the same company have different salaries

Different people, personnel, different job positions, different sets of duties, what the company can afford to attract and keep the employee.
Different Administrative Governing Region? Different rules or laws about salaries.

Beside these brief comments, the questioning in the last few posts resembles, ..., bot.

I said that I'm refereeing to the same company and the same position.

In general an engineer in the US earn between 70k and 100k, in Italy between 18K and 40K.

Grands said:
Here I have an example of a company that have different salaries in different countries.
It's an italian company and it is called Intesa SanPaolo, its' a bank.

I think this is because different counties might not be so interested in this particular company as some other country. Or it might depend on the 'richness of a country' and this might affect the amount of money it funds the company with.
Or, in this case Italy, might not care so much about the economic relationships with a specific country and fund the branch of the organisation in that country less.

Grands said:
In general an engineer in the US earn between 70k and 100k, in Italy between 18K and 40K.

What a huge difference...
This is the most evident example of the capitalism I mentioned earlier and the economic difference between the two countries.
Wow. Symbolic.

Likes russ_watters
An engineer that work for Google in Italy earn at least 30K years or 2K monthly https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Google-Italy-Salaries-EI_IE9079.0,6_IL.7,12_IN120.htm while in US 70K
You can't justify this by saying that grapes is more expensive in the US.
Paradoxically if someone from Italy want to buy a product have to pay more, because there are a lots of taxes.
For example we have to pay 1400 euro for an iPhone X ( just an example).

Likes ISamson
Nobody denies the fact the differences exist, listing more examples won't change that. It will also not help you understand why it works this way as long as you will not try to learn about the basics. If you are expecting a short answer - it doesn't exist. The most basic reasons were already given, but to fully understand what it is all about even majoring in economics might be not enough.

I not searching the reason why a complain pay more then another.
I expected answers like: In the US the medical insurance cost a lot...or fruits and vegetables cost or..something like that.

Anyway it seems the opposite situation, the petrol cost less in the US then in Italy.

Grands said:
I not searching the reason why a complain pay more then another.
I expected answers like: In the US the medical insurance cost a lot...or fruits and vegetables cost or..something like that.

Anyway it seems the opposite situation, the petrol cost less in the US then in Italy.
Too difficult to understand what you try to say here and of what you want to know.

I'm trying to say that maybe the salary in the US are bigger because cost of living "maybe" is higher, but I noticed that last the petrol for cars cost less than in Italy, that is about 1.40 euros per liter.

Grands said:
I'm trying to say that maybe the salary in the US are bigger because cost of living "maybe" is higher, but I noticed that last the petrol for cars cost less than in Italy, that is about 1.40 euros per liter.
These can be complicated things but we seem to be back to Supply & Demand, and Cost of Living. Maybe talking about climate is easier than talking about economics among different countries.