Why Should Constants Be Substituted in Integration?

• MHB
  • Thread starter harryt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: I understand now why the constants are being substituted in and it makes the integration a lot simpler.
harryt
This is quite a basic question as my understanding of integration is not that good.

I have an equation concerning the time taken for an object to fall.

$m\frac{dv}{dt} = mg-R{v}^{2}$

I need to get an expression for time as a function of velocity and I have been told to integrate with the substitution

${u}^{2}=R/mg$

I don't understand this though, as the substitution is not in terms of either v or t. You can't do integration by substitution as you get du/dv (or du/dt) = 0. Why would I be substituting constants?

I know I'm missing something here... I'm very keen to get to the bottom of this myself but if anyone could give me a hint, I'd be most appreciative!

Thank you,
Harry

Physics news on Phys.org
That substitution will not help you. However, consider dividing by $m$ and writing $\frac{R}{m} = k$. You get

$$\frac{dv}{dt} = g -kv^2,$$

therefore

$$\frac{dv}{g - kv^2} = dt.$$

Can you take it from here? :)

harryt said:
This is quite a basic question as my understanding of integration is not that good.

I have an equation concerning the time taken for an object to fall.

$m\frac{dv}{dt} = mg-R{v}^{2}$

I need to get an expression for time as a function of velocity and I have been told to integrate with the substitution

${u}^{2}=R/mg$

I don't understand this though, as the substitution is not in terms of either v or t. You can't do integration by substitution as you get du/dv (or du/dt) = 0. Why would I be substituting constants?

I know I'm missing something here... I'm very keen to get to the bottom of this myself but if anyone could give me a hint, I'd be most appreciative!

Thank you,
Harry
The substitution merely gets rid of some of the extra manipulation of constants, nothing more. In fact, in many cases the constants are manipulated such that the remaining quantities, such as v and t, are unitless. I'm not sure if there is a Mathematical reason behind this but I find unitless quantities somewhat easier to work with.

-Dan

Fantini said:
That substitution will not help you.

I didn't think it would!

Thank you for your help; it certainly clarified things.

topsquark said:
The substitution merely gets rid of some of the extra manipulation of constants, nothing more. In fact, in many cases the constants are manipulated such that the remaining quantities, such as v and t, are unitless. I'm not sure if there is a Mathematical reason behind this but I find unitless quantities somewhat easier to work with.

-Dan

Substituting the constants has definitely helped me!

Related to Why Should Constants Be Substituted in Integration?

1. What is the substitution method in integrals?

The substitution method, also known as u-substitution, is a technique used to solve integrals by substituting a variable with another expression in order to simplify the integral.

2. Why is substitution used in integrals?

Substitution is used in integrals to simplify the integrand, making it easier to evaluate the integral. It can also be used to convert integrals with complicated expressions into integrals with simpler expressions.

3. How do you choose the substitution variable in an integral?

The substitution variable should be chosen in such a way that it simplifies the integrand. This often involves choosing a variable that appears within a larger expression, or choosing a variable that will cancel out with another term in the integrand.

4. What are the steps for using substitution in integrals?

The steps for using substitution in integrals are:
1. Identify the substitution variable by looking for a term within the integral that can be replaced with another expression.
2. Rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable.
3. Substitute the new variable into the integral, simplifying the integrand.
4. Solve the new integral.
5. Finally, substitute the original variable back into the solution.

5. Can any integral be solved using substitution?

No, not all integrals can be solved using substitution. Some integrals require other techniques, such as integration by parts or partial fraction decomposition. It is important to understand when to use substitution and when to use other methods when solving integrals.