Why only l=1 of spherical harmonics survives?

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic scalar potential set to a specific equation and the book's claim that only l=1 terms survive in the expansion of 1/|x-x'| using spherical harmonics. The person is trying to see if sines and cosines are orthogonal to cosθ' for l≠1, but cannot find a reason for why only l=1 terms survive. Others suggest considering the range of integration and whether sines and cosines are orthogonal.
mr.canadian

Homework Statement

The question is about page 198 of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics. The magnetic scalar potential is set to be:

Phi = ∫ (dΩ' cosθ'/ |x-x'|).

Using the spherical harmonics expansion of 1/|x-x'|, the book claims that only l=1 survives. I don't know why terms of l≠1 vanish

The Attempt at a Solution

I considered the addition theorem of 1/|x-x'| that contains on Y* (θ',ϕ'). I am trying to see whether the sin's and cos's inside Y* (θ',ϕ') are orthogonal to cosθ' for l≠1, but I had no success doing so. I could not think of other reasons why only l=1 terms survive.

Any ideas

Physics news on Phys.org
Are sines and cosines not orthogonal?
Don't forget the range of the integration.

Related to Why only l=1 of spherical harmonics survives?

1. Why is only l=1 of spherical harmonics significant?

The l value in spherical harmonics represents the angular momentum quantum number, which determines the shape of the wavefunction. L=1 corresponds to the p orbital, which is an important component of the atomic orbitals and is responsible for the three-dimensional shape of molecules.

2. What happens to the other l values in spherical harmonics?

The other l values do not completely disappear, but they are less significant compared to l=1. This is because the p orbital has a higher energy and is more easily excited, making it the most dominant in many cases.

3. Why is l=1 also known as the "dumbbell" shape in spherical harmonics?

The p orbital has two lobes with a node at the center, resembling the shape of a dumbbell. This is because the p orbital has two angular nodes, which correspond to the two lobes, and one radial node at the center.

4. How does l=1 contribute to the overall wavefunction in spherical harmonics?

L=1 contributes to the angular part of the wavefunction, while the radial part is determined by the principal quantum number, n. The combination of these two components results in the overall shape of the wavefunction.

5. Are there any exceptions to l=1 being the most significant in spherical harmonics?

In some cases, such as in noble gas atoms, the s orbitals (l=0) may be more significant than the p orbitals. This is because the s orbitals have a lower energy and are more stable, making them the most dominant in these elements.