Z operator and spherical harmonics

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that <n',l',m'|\hat{z}|n,l,m> = 0 unless m=m' by using the form of spherical harmonics and the equation for spherical harmonics. The individual attempting the solution is unsure where to start since there are no simple eigenvalues for \hat{z}|n,l,m>, but they have a feeling that normalization of spherical harmonics may play a role. Another individual suggests writing down the integral for the inner product to find the answer.
z2394

Homework Statement

I want to show that <n',l',m'|[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]|n,l,m> = 0 unless m=m', using the form of the spherical harmonics.

Homework Equations

Equations for spherical harmonics

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to begin here since there aren't any simple eigenvalues for [itex]\hat{z}[/itex]|n,l,m>. I have a feeling that it may have something to do with normalization of the spherical harmonics (because they have Legendre polynomials that are P(cosΘ) = P(z) and would also give you a exp(imø)*exp(im'ø) term), but I have no idea how this could actually give you something for [itex]\hat{z}[/itex]as an operator, or something you could actually use to figure out [itex]\hat{z}[/itex]|n,l,m>.

Any help at all would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You essentially have the answer already. In the coordinate basis, the operator ##\hat{z}## is represented by ##r\cos\theta##. Just write down the integral for the inner product and evaluate it.

Likes 1 person
Thanks! I guess I was thinking about it in an operator sense, so it had not occurred to me to do it as an integral instead.

Related to Z operator and spherical harmonics

1. What is the Z operator and how does it relate to spherical harmonics?

The Z operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the angular momentum of a particle. It is closely related to spherical harmonics, which are mathematical functions used to describe the spatial distribution of particles in a spherical system.

2. How is the Z operator used in quantum mechanics?

The Z operator is used to determine the angular momentum of a particle in a given direction. It is also used to calculate the position and momentum of a particle in a spherical system.

3. What are some properties of the Z operator?

Some properties of the Z operator include being Hermitian, meaning it is equal to its own conjugate transpose, and being an eigenoperator, meaning it has a set of eigenvalues and eigenvectors that can be used to solve quantum mechanical problems.

4. How are spherical harmonics used in quantum mechanics?

Spherical harmonics are used to describe the wave function of a particle in a spherical system. They are also used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific location within the system.

5. Can the Z operator and spherical harmonics be used in other fields of science?

Yes, the Z operator and spherical harmonics have applications in other fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They can be used to describe the behavior of particles in a variety of systems and are especially useful in understanding the properties of atoms and molecules.