Why is the spin of this state equal to one?

• I
  • Thread starter shedrick94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spin State
In summary: The sum of the m_s values is not the total spin, it is the projection of the total spin along a particular axis (in this case, the z-axis). In summary, the conversation discusses the spin states of a two electron system, where the possible states are determined by the values of s=1 and m_s=0. The individual particle spins and the total spin are discussed, with the total spin being quantized to a value of S^2 = s(s+1) \hbar^2, resulting in a spin of s=1 for this particular state.
shedrick94
I've just come across the spin states of a two electron system. There are 4 states possible and I am a little confused as to why the state below has values of s=1 m_s=0?

[1/√2]{α(1)β(2)+α(2)β(1)}

where α(i) and β(i) tell us if the particle has +ve or -ve z component of spin respectively.

I don't quite understand why s=1 as the sum of the spins for this would be (+1/2)(-1/2)+(+1/2)(-1/2)

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bds10/aqp/lec11_compressed.pdf a similar thing can be seen here on slide 10.

Physics news on Phys.org
shedrick94 said:
I don't quite understand why s=1 as the sum of the spins for this would be (+1/2)(-1/2)+(+1/2)(-1/2)
That's not correct. First, you are mixing up the total spin and the projection of the spin along z (the spin of an electron is always 1/2, never -1/2).

Second, what is the result of ##\hat{S} \alpha## or ##\hat{S} \beta##?

What you calculated, is not the sum of the spins but the sum of the z-component of the spins. The z-component can take on the values -1, 0, 1 for a particle with spin 1.

Do hunds rules not say that the S= sum of all m_s values?

Why is the spin of this state s=1 then? What am I missing?

If we let [itex]\vec{S} = \vec{S_1} + \vec{S_2}[/itex], where [itex]\vec{S}[/itex] is the total spin, and [itex]\vec{S_1}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{S_2}[/itex] are the spins of the two electrons, then we have:

[itex]S^2 = (S_1)^2 + (S_2)^2 + 2 \vec{S_1} \cdot \vec{S_2}[/itex]

If you let this operator act on the state, you will find that yields value [itex]2 \hbar^2[/itex], which is consistent with an angular momentum of [itex]1 \hbar[/itex]. (Remember, the total angular momentum is quantized to have value [itex]S^2 = s(s+1) \hbar^2[/itex], so [itex]S^2 = 2 \hbar^2 \Rightarrow s = 1[/itex])

shedrick94 said:
Do hunds rules not say that the S= sum of all m_s values?

No, you have the total spin, [itex]\vec{S}[/itex], which has components [itex]S_x, S_y, S_z[/itex]. You have the individual particle spins [itex]\vec{S_1}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{S_2}[/itex], which have components [itex](S_1)_x, (S_1)_y, (S_1)_z, (S_2)_x, (S_2)_y, (S_2)_z[/itex].

It is true that [itex]S_z = (S_1)_z + (S_2)_z = 0[/itex], but that doesn't imply that [itex]S_x[/itex] and [itex]S_y[/itex] are zero.

Related to Why is the spin of this state equal to one?

1. Why is the spin of this state equal to one?

The spin of a state is equal to one because it is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. It is a quantum number that can have discrete values, and a spin of one corresponds to a specific set of quantum mechanical properties and behaviors.

2. What does a spin of one mean?

A spin of one means that a particle has a specific amount of angular momentum, which is a measure of how much a particle is rotating or spinning on its axis. This spin value can affect the behavior of the particle in certain situations, such as its interaction with magnetic fields.

3. How is the spin of a state determined?

The spin of a state is determined by its quantum numbers, which are properties that describe the state of a particle. These quantum numbers are obtained through experimental measurements and theoretical calculations, and they can help determine the spin value of a state.

4. Why is the spin of a state important?

The spin of a state is important because it is a fundamental property of particles that can influence their behavior and interactions with other particles. It is also a key factor in understanding the symmetry of physical systems and has important implications in quantum mechanics and particle physics.

5. Can the spin of a state change?

Yes, the spin of a state can change in certain situations, such as when a particle interacts with another particle or when it undergoes a quantum mechanical process. However, the spin of a state is a conserved quantity, meaning that it cannot change without external influence.