SU(2) and SU(3) representations to describe spin states

spin_100
Spin 1/2 particles are two states system in C^2 and so it is natural for the rotations to be described by SU(2), for three states systems like spin - 1 particle, Why do we still use SU(2) and not SU(3) to describe the rotations? Is it possible to derive them without resorting to the eigenvalue conditions of J^2 and J_z, i.e. purely mathematically? I am able to derive this for the spin -1/2 case from the condition of Unitarity and det=1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why should we use SU(3)? Do you know why we use SU(2)? SU(2) is double cover of rotation group SO(3), and even considering higher spins we, in a sense, think about rotations in physical 3 dimensional space (namely we are considering higher dimensional representations of double cover of SO(3)). Why we use the cover instead of SO(3) is another story. You should delve into group representation theory, it really clarifies everything.

Likes vanhees71, topsquark and dextercioby
spin_100 said:
Why do we still use SU(2) and not SU(3) to describe the rotations?
Because the N in SU(N) doesn't refer to the number of basis states. It is linked to the number of spatial dimensions of the world (for how that link works, I recommend taking @weirdoguy's advice and learning about why SU(2) is the double cover of SO(3) and why, when we include spin-1/2, that makes SU(2) the correct group for representing spatial rotations), and that doesn't change when you look at spin-1 particles instead of spin-1/2 particles.

What does change when you look at spin-1 vs. spin-1/2 particles is the representation of SU(2) that you use. Heuristically, for spin-1/2 particles you use the representation of SU(2) that uses 2x2 matrices, whereas for spin-1 particles you use the representation that uses 3x3 matrices. In other words, the size of the matrices in the representation is what refers to the number of basis states. (There is a lot more here that I am sweeping under the rug, even though you labeled this as an "A" level thread; a real "A" level discussion of this topic would take a book, and there are indeed plenty of them.)

Likes vanhees71 and topsquark
PeterDonis said:
Because the N in SU(N) doesn't refer to the number of basis states. It is linked to the number of spatial dimensions of the world (for how that link works, I recommend taking @weirdoguy's advice and learning about why SU(2) is the double cover of SO(3) and why, when we include spin-1/2, that makes SU(2) the correct group for representing spatial rotations), and that doesn't change when you look at spin-1 particles instead of spin-1/2 particles.

What does change when you look at spin-1 vs. spin-1/2 particles is the representation of SU(2) that you use. Heuristically, for spin-1/2 particles you use the representation of SU(2) that uses 2x2 matrices, whereas for spin-1 particles you use the representation that uses 3x3 matrices. In other words, the size of the matrices in the representation is what refers to the number of basis states. (There is a lot more here that I am sweeping under the rug, even though you labeled this as an "A" level thread; a real "A" level discussion of this topic would take a book, and there are indeed plenty of them.)
Thanks. That clears a lot of things for me. So generators of SU(2) in all representations of SU(2) follow the commutation relations, i.e [J_1 , J_2 ] = ih J_3 ? Also could you recommend a beginner book for learning more about this? I have studied abstract algebra. Are there any other prerequisites?

weirdoguy said:
Why should we use SU(3)? Do you know why we use SU(2)? SU(2) is double cover of rotation group SO(3), and even considering higher spins we, in a sense, think about rotations in physical 3 dimensional space (namely we are considering higher dimensional representations of double cover of SO(3)). Why we use the cover instead of SO(3) is another story. You should delve into group representation theory, it really clarifies everything.
Also why do we choose the generators to satisfy the commutation relations? I am not able to relate it with rotation? It seems natural for 3D but not sure about Spin -1/2 particles

spin_100 said:
Also why do we choose the generators to satisfy the commutation relations?

We do not choose it, commutation relations are kind of forced by the definitions of the groups we are considering.

spin_100 said:
generators of SU(2) in all representations of SU(2) follow the commutation relations, i.e [J_1 , J_2 ] = ih J_3 ?
Yes.

I guess you can look up what Lie algebra of a given Lie group is. Generators of Lie group form a basis of this algebra. There are also instights about SU(2) written by @fresh_42, but these are more mathematical oriented.

1. What is SU(2) and SU(3) representation in the context of spin states?

SU(2) and SU(3) are mathematical groups that are used to describe the symmetries of physical systems, specifically in the context of quantum mechanics. In the case of spin states, these groups are used to represent the possible orientations of a spin particle in space.

2. How do SU(2) and SU(3) representations relate to the spin of particles?

SU(2) and SU(3) representations are used to describe the possible spin states of particles. In quantum mechanics, particles can have a property called spin, which is a measure of their intrinsic angular momentum. The representations of SU(2) and SU(3) provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of spin particles.

3. Can you explain the difference between SU(2) and SU(3) representations?

SU(2) and SU(3) are both mathematical groups, but they have different properties and applications. SU(2) is a special unitary group that is used to describe the spin states of fundamental particles, such as electrons and protons. SU(3) is a larger group that is used to describe the symmetries of more complex systems, such as atomic nuclei.

4. How are SU(2) and SU(3) representations used in physics?

SU(2) and SU(3) representations are used extensively in the field of quantum mechanics, specifically in the study of subatomic particles and their interactions. They are also used in other areas of physics, such as nuclear physics and condensed matter physics, to describe the symmetries and properties of physical systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of SU(2) and SU(3) representations?

Yes, SU(2) and SU(3) representations have many real-world applications. They are used in the development of technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and nuclear power. They are also used in particle accelerators and other high-energy physics experiments to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.