Representation of Spin 1/2 quantum state

PeterDonis said:
Why? Please see my post #33.
Because I am a mathematician, and being "naturally isometrically isomorphic" is sufficiently equal for me. On the other hand, the infinite dimensional case is important to me, and there the statement is just plain and simple wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
The linear operators we are talking about here map vectors to vectors. That's not the same thing.
Why not ? A linear map ##A## on a vector space ##V## is defined by its action on a basis ##\{v_i\}##. If we take the dual-vectors ##\{v_i^*\}## associated to the basis vector then we can write ##A## as the sum of tensor product of type ##u_i \otimes v_i^*##, where ##u_i## are the images of basis vectors under ##A##.

Last edited:
gentzen said:
being "naturally isometrically isomorphic" is sufficiently equal for me
What is naturally isomorphic to what in the finite dimensional case?

cianfa72 said:
A linear map ##A## on a vector space ##V## is defined by its action on a basis ##\{v_i\}##.
Yes. But there are different possible actions. One possible action would be to map each basis vector to a particular number: that is the action of a covector, which, as I said, is called "contraction"--and "contraction" is the term you used in a previous post. Another possible action would be to map each basis vector to some vector. That is the action of the kind of operator we are talking about here. Those are two different actions. A number is not the same thing as a vector, and mapping a vector to another vector is not the same thing as contracting a vector with a covector to get a number.

cianfa72 said:
If we take the dual-vectors ##\{v_i^*\}## associated to the basis vector then we can write ##A## as the sum of tensor product of type ##u_i \otimes v_i^*##, where ##u_i## are the images of basis vectors under ##A##.
Ok, let's try a specific example: the operator ##\sigma_x## operating on a qubit, i.e., a normalized vector in the 2-dimensional Hilbert space ##\mathbb{C}^2##. Its action on the eigenvectors of ##\sigma_z##, which form a basis of ##\mathbb{C}^2##, is as follows:

$$
\ket{z+} \to \ket{z-}
$$

$$
\ket{z-} \to \ket{z+}
$$

This defines an action on the vector space ##\mathbb{C}^2##, i.e., it maps vectors in ##\mathbb{C}^2## to other vectors in ##\mathbb{C}^2##. And I just defined it without doing any of the rigmarole you described in the above quote. No dual vectors, no tensor products.

How does what you said in the quote above work for this case?

PeterDonis said:
A number is not the same thing as a vector, and mapping a vector to another vector is not the same thing as contracting a vector with a covector to get a number.
What do you get if you contract the second "slot" of the tensor product ##u \otimes v^*## with a vector ##z## ? Note that ##v^*## is a covector/dual-vector.

You get a vector, that is you have a linear map.

cianfa72 said:
What do you get if you contract the second "slot" of the tensor product ##u \otimes v^*## with a vector ##z## ? Note that ##v^*## is a covector/dual-vector.

You get a vector, that is you have a linear map.
How would this work for the specific case I gave in post #40?

PeterDonis said:
What is naturally isomorphic to what in the finite dimensional case?
The space of Hilbert-Schmidt operators on a Hilbert space ##H## is always naturally isometrically isomorphic to the tensor product of the Hilbert space ##H## with its dual ##H^*##. And in the finite dimensional case, all linear operators acting on the Hilbert space ##H## are Hilbert-Schmidt operators. Which is no longer true in the infinite dimensional case. Hence the second sentence of cianfa72's post is plain and simple wrong for that case:
cianfa72 said:
Sorry, the linear operator itself is an element of the tensor product space ##\mathbb H_1 \otimes \mathbb H_1^*##. Indeed any linear operator acting on a vector space can be written in this way (basically it acts by contraction on the vector it acts on).

Likes dextercioby
gentzen said:
in the finite dimensional case, all linear operators acting on the Hilbert space ##H## are Hilbert-Schmidt operators.
Ah, that was the piece I was missing.

I think, though, that you mean all linear operators from ##H## to ##H##, correct? As I have been saying, a covector, i.e., an element of ##H^*##, is also a linear operator on ##H##, but it doesn't map ##H## to ##H##, it maps ##H## to its underlying scalar field (##\mathbb{C}## in the case we are discussing). Or maybe I am using looser terminology, which is typical for physicists as opposed to mathematicians. :wink:

gentzen said:
The space of Hilbert-Schmidt operators on a Hilbert space ##H## is always naturally isometrically isomorphic to the tensor product of the Hilbert space ##H## with its dual ##H^*##.
Yes, that's was basically my point. As you pointed out this is not longer true in infinite dimensional case.

PeterDonis said:
Ah, that was the piece I was missing.

I think, though, that you mean all linear operators from ##H## to ##H##, correct?
Oh yes, indeed. Now I see your point.
PeterDonis said:
As I have been saying, a covector, i.e., an element of ##H^*##, is also a linear operator on ##H##, but it doesn't map ##H## to ##H##, it maps ##H## to its underlying scalar field (##\mathbb{C}## in the case we are discussing). Or maybe I am using looser terminology, which is typical for physicists as opposed to mathematicians. :wink:
No, you are right. I was the one using looser terminology here, and didn't even notice.

cianfa72 said:
Yes, that's was basically my point.
But while this isomorphism exists, it is not necessary to use it in order to define the action of an operator from ##H## to ##H##. I gave an example of such a definition without using this isomorphism in post #40.

cianfa72 said:
As you pointed out this is not longer true in infinite dimensional case.
The isomorphism between the space of Hilbert-Schmidt operators from ##H## to ##H## and the tensor product of ##H## with its dual still exists in the infinite dimensional case. What is no longer true in the infinite dimensional case is that all linear operators from ##H## to ##H## are Hilbert-Schmidt operators. For example, the position and momentum operators are not Hilbert-Schmidt operators.

PeterDonis said:
But while this isomorphism exists, it is not necessary to use it in order to define the action of an operator from ##H## to ##H##.
Yes definitely, it is not necessary (it is just a way to look at it).

PeterDonis said:
What is no longer true in the infinite dimensional case is that all linear operators from ##H## to ##H## are Hilbert-Schmidt operators. For example, the position and momentum operators are not Hilbert-Schmidt operators.
Ah ok, got it. So in this case there is not a natural isomorphism between a linear map on ##\mathbb H## and an element of ##\mathbb H^* \otimes \mathbb H##.

Last edited:
cianfa72 said:
Ah ok, got it.
No, you don't. See below. You need to read more carefully.

cianfa72 said:
So in this case there is not a natural isomorphism between a linear map on ##\mathbb H## and an element of ##\mathbb H^* \otimes \mathbb H##
Wrong. There is an isomorphism between the space of Hilbert-Schmidt operators from ##H## to ##H##, and the space ##H \otimes H^*##. That is true regardless of whether ##H## is finite or infinite dimensional. Isomorphisms are between spaces--sets with particular structure that the isomorphism preserves--not between individual elements.

If ##H# is finite dimensional, then all linear operators from ##H## to ##H## are Hilbert-Schmidt operators. So the isomorphism described above includes all linear operators from ##H## to ##H##.

If ##H## is infinite dimensional, then there are some linear operators from ##H## to ##H## that are not Hilbert-Schmidt operators. So the isomorphism described above, which still exists in this case, does not include all linear operators from ##H## to ##H##. It only includes the ones that are Hilbert-Schmidt operators.

PeterDonis said:
If ##H## is infinite dimensional, then there are some linear operators from ##H## to ##H## that are not Hilbert-Schmidt operators. So the isomorphism described above, which still exists in this case, does not include all linear operators from ##H## to ##H##. It only includes the ones that are Hilbert-Schmidt operators.
Ah ok, the isomorphism includes just some of the linear operators from ##H## to ##H##. However it doesn't include all of them.

PeterDonis said:
If you are looking at both degrees of freedom, then you have to look at operators on the tensor product Hilbert space. For example, you could look at the operator ##I \otimes \sigma_z##, i.e., the identity on the configuration space degree of freedom, tensor product with the ##\sigma_z## spin operator. This operator's eigenvectors are vectors in the tensor product Hilbert space, in this case any configuration space vector tensor product with an eigenvector of ##\sigma_z##.
So coming back to this topic, if the linear operators acting on each of the Hilbert spaces associated to the system's degrees of freedom (call such Hilbert spaces ##U## and ##V##) are both hermitian/self-adjoint then, by spectral theorem, the collection of tensor products ##\{u_i \otimes v_j\}## (where ##u_i## and ##v_j## are eigenvectors of each hermitian operator respectively) will be a basis of eigenvectors for the tensor product space ##U \otimes V##.

I believe the above is not true in general for "generic" linear operators since we cannot apply the spectral theorem to them.

Last edited:
Another question related to the topic. What is a simple vs multiple eigenvalue?

Does the difference boils down to the eigenvalue's geometric multeplicity (i.e. the dimension of the associated eigenspace) ?

Last edited:
cianfa72 said:
Another question related to the topic. What is a simple vs multiple eigenvalue?

Does the difference boils down to the eigenvalue's geometric multeplicity (i.e. the dimension of the associated eigenspace) ?
yes

Ok, so in case of entangled position/momentum plus spin the pure state of the entangled system cannot be given as the tensor product of a position/momentum pure state times a spin pure state (the entangled state is given as linear combination of tensor products of basis pure states from each Hilbert space, though).

What about the hermitian/self-adjoint operators tensor product ? Their eigenvalues should be related to the product of eigenvalues of each hermitian operator, right ?

Last edited:
cianfa72 said:
What about the hermitian/self-adjoint operators tensor product ? Their eigenvalues should be related to the product of eigenvalues of each operator, right ?
If ##A## has eigenvalues ##\lambda_i## with corresponding eigenvectors ##v_i## and ##B## has eigenvalues ##\mu_j## with corresponding eigenvectors ##w_j##, then ##A\otimes B## has eigenvalues ##\lambda_i\mu_j## with corresponding eigenvectors ##v_i\otimes w_j##:
$$(A\otimes B)\ v_i\otimes w_j = (Av_i)\otimes(Bw_j)=(\lambda_iv_i)\otimes(\mu_jw_j)=\lambda_i\mu_j\ v_i\otimes w_j$$

Likes cianfa72
gentzen said:
If ##A## has eigenvalues ##\lambda_i## with corresponding eigenvectors ##v_i## and ##B## has eigenvalues ##\mu_j## with corresponding eigenvectors ##w_j##, then ##A\otimes B## has eigenvalues ##\lambda_i\mu_j## with corresponding eigenvectors ##v_i\otimes w_j##
Of course, however for sure the set ##\{v_i \otimes w_j\}## will be a basis of eigenvectors for ##A\otimes B## when both ##A## and ##B## are hermitian/self-adjoint.

cianfa72 said:
if the linear operators acting on each of the Hilbert spaces associated to the system's degrees of freedom (call such Hilbert spaces ##U## and ##V##) are both hermitian/self-adjoint then, by spectral theorem, the collection of tensor products ##\{u_i \otimes v_j\}## (where ##u_i## and ##v_j## are eigenvectors of each hermitian operator respectively) will be a basis of eigenvectors for the tensor product space ##U \otimes V##.
Yes. This is because the operators acting on each Hilbert space are tensored with the identity on the other Hilbert space (so the spin-z operator ##\sigma_z## becomes ##I \otimes \sigma_z## when acting on the tensor product space), so they automatically commute with each other and hence can have a set of simultaneous eigenvectors.

PeterDonis said:
so they automatically commute with each other and hence can have a set of simultaneous eigenvectors.
What does mean that those tensor product operators (e.g ##I \otimes \sigma_z## and ##\vec{x} \otimes I##) commute with each other?

cianfa72 said:
What does mean that those tensor product operators (e.g ##I \otimes \sigma_z## and ##\vec{x} \otimes I##) commute with each other?
Isn't it obvious? You know what "commute" means, right?

PeterDonis said:
Isn't it obvious? You know what "commute" means, right?
It should mean that $$(I \otimes \sigma_z)(\vec{x} \otimes I) \ket{\psi} = (\vec{x} \otimes I) (I \otimes \sigma_z) \ket{\psi}, \forall \ket{\psi}$$ We can check that it is true using the definition of tensor product operators acting on a generic tensor product of type ##\ket{\psi} = \ket{\alpha} \otimes \ket {\beta}##. Since both ##I \otimes \sigma_z## and ##\vec{x} \otimes I## are hermitian and commute each other, they have at least a common eigenbasis -- see also Commuting Operators Have the Same Eigenvectors.

However any eigenbasis of the first operator is an eigenbasis for the second (and the other way around) if and only if the commutating hermitian operators have both nondegerate eigenvalues -- see Common eigenfunctions of commuting operators.

Last edited:
cianfa72 said:
It should mean that $$(I \otimes \sigma_z)(\vec{x} \otimes I) \ket{\psi} = (\vec{x} \otimes I) (I \otimes \sigma_z) \ket{\psi}, \forall \ket{\psi}$$
Yes.

cianfa72 said:
We can check that it is true using the definition of tensor product operators acting on a generic tensor product of type ##\ket{\psi} = \ket{\alpha} \otimes \ket {\beta}##.
Yes.

cianfa72 said:
Since both ##I \otimes \sigma_z## and ##\vec{x} \otimes I## are hermitian and commute each other, they have at least a common eigenbasis -- see also Commuting Operators Have the Same Eigenvectors.
Yes.

cianfa72 said:
However any eigenbasis of the first operator is an eigenbasis for the second (and the other way around) if and only if the commutating hermitian operators have both nondegerate eigenvalues -- see Common eigenfunctions of commuting operators.
Yes.

Ok, so coming back to the case of entangled position/momentum plus spin state, such a state can be written as linear combination of tensor products basis ##\{v_i \otimes w_j\}## that will be an eigenbasis of the hermitian/self-adjoint tensor product operator ##\vec{x} \otimes \sigma_z##. Note that ##\{v_i\}## and ##\{w_j\}## are eigenbasis of operator ##\vec{x}## and ##\sigma_z## respectively.